UKC

Mont Blanc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mountaingirl8848 03 Mar 2018

Hi,

does anyone know the ages of the youngest person to climbing Mont Blanc solo and unguided?

Removed User 03 Mar 2018
In reply to Willow’s adventures:

Yes. Pretty sure it was a 3 year old who got lost and wandered up there for a look.

In reply to Removed User:

> Yes. Pretty sure it was a 3 year old who got lost and wandered up there for a look.

Sarcasm. Great. Thanks so much....

Spike 03 Mar 2018

quick internet search reveals "boy of 10 years old from London" as youngest to climb Mont Blanc - 2009 seems to be the date but I didn't read any more details

profitofdoom 03 Mar 2018
In reply to Spike:

> quick internet search reveals "boy of 10 years old from London" as youngest to climb Mont Blanc - 2009 seems to be the date but I didn't read any more details

Probably not solo, though. To the OP, you can probably never know because not everyone publicises their adventures

In reply to Spike:

> quick internet search reveals "boy of 10 years old from London" as youngest to climb Mont Blanc - 2009 seems to be the date but I didn't read any more details

Yeah, I saw that too. I saw it about some Americans, as well. But both of them climbed it with a commercial group and with a guide. I was think more solo climbing. Thanks

john arran 03 Mar 2018

Good on you for wanting to challenge yourself in the mountains, and for wanting to do so without guides.

I'd just recommend one quick thought experiment: Imagine somebody comes along and confirms that a 16 year old Brit summited MB a few years ago unassisted; would that change your motivation to do it yourself? Always worth being honest with yourself about your true motivations. I know from personal experience the temptations of doing stuff because it will gain social recognition rather than because it's something you really want to do for yourself. Of course, the ideal may be when the two happen at once.

In reply to john arran:

> Good on you for wanting to challenge yourself in the mountains, and for wanting to do so without guides.

> I'd just recommend one quick thought experiment: Imagine somebody comes along and confirms that a 16 year old Brit summited MB a few years ago unassisted; would that change your motivation to do it yourself? Always worth being honest with yourself about your true motivations. I know from personal experience the temptations of doing stuff because it will gain social recognition rather than because it's something you really want to do for yourself. Of course, the ideal may be when the two happen at once.

I completely see what you’re saying, and thank you. But even if it comes back and a 14 year old has soloed it, it wouldn’t stop me one bit. Being the youngest would just be an added bonus to the climb, but that’s not my motivation. I climb because it’s my passion. 

john arran 03 Mar 2018
In reply to Mountaingirl8848:

Like I said, if that's still your opinion after being completely honest with yourself (as opposed to looking to justify your existing opinion) then that's great, and I wish you well. Makes me wonder why Mont Blanc though - seems an unlikely choice for an unguided, solo experience as there inevitably will be dozens of guides around and you'll be very far from alone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...