UKC

Flight Cancelled - BMC Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cha1n 03 Mar 2018

Hey 

I found out an hour after check in opened today that my flight had been cancelled, so now unable to get to Paris for my 4 day Font trip. Has anyone had this happen and can summarise roughly what my cover will be with my BMC annual rock insurance cover? I'm sure there will be some exhaustive and expensive way of getting there if I really try but it may not be worth all the hassle in the end. I'm losing out on flights, hire car and accommodation.

The airline (FlyBMI) and BMC and closed so unable to get any info from them... Thanks for any advice. I've never claimed on an insurance policy before!

Oceanrower 03 Mar 2018
In reply to cha1n:

You know that little bit of paper they sent you when you took the policy out...

jon 03 Mar 2018
In reply to cha1n:

Surely they can't just cancel without offering you another flight or giving you your money back?

OP cha1n 03 Mar 2018
In reply to Oceanrower:

Apparently they will refund. There's a number you can call to try and rearrange a flight but the lines are closed on a weekend?! It's all ridiculous, the girl arrived at the check-in desk an hour late and then unapologetically started reeling off procedure on cancellations etc. 

Oceanrower, really helpful reply, thanks. I took the policy out in June last year so haven't got the documents to hand, I intend to look at them, I was just asking for any general advice on what insurers pay out for in this situation having never claimed on travel insurance before.

Jon Read 03 Mar 2018
In reply to cha1n:

The airline has a duty of care to look after you while you are delayed (food and drink vouchers after certain time, overnight accommodation if needed). I know that for other airlines, where there is a shortage of help from the airline (ie staffing issues) passengers have booked accommodation themselves and successfully been refunded by the airline (BA), though the key advice is don't go mad, book appropriate to your class of travel, and keep all receipts. You may consider the Eurostar as an alternative, but don't blame me if the airline doesn't cough up (this is when you need to see what alternative travel your policy covers). 

The airline should be able to get you to your final destination, though this may take longer than you like, and they will be unwilling to transfer you onto another airline -- the fact you are going for four days will not make much difference, having status with the airline can help in these circumstances. 

Unfortunately there are no general policy rules, policies all differ so all the details on your specific policy matter.  You should download and read this document carefully: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/r/downloads/BMC%202017%2018%20Ev...

Good luck!

Jon Read 03 Mar 2018
In reply to cha1n:

oh and try to document everything as it happens so it's easier to provide evidence to back up any claim you may need to make, including when airline staff appear (or not) and the advice you are given.

andi turner 03 Mar 2018
In reply to cha1n:

I had to claim through BMC insurance when that volcano grounded flights a few years back. They covered the cost of the return flights and a certain amount per day for accommodation etc. The return flights were very expensive! 

Brass Nipples 03 Mar 2018
In reply to cha1n:

You can download the policy document from the website. It lists what you can claim etc.

OP cha1n 03 Mar 2018
In reply to cha1n:

Thanks everyone. We've managed to get £130 flights to CDG flying from Luton. The Euro star was like £250 plus I had a rental car to pick up from CDG. Airbnb host agreed to a half refund for today, so after the airline refunds the cost of the flight, we won't be too far out of pocket but will of lost two days of climbing in the forest which is sad. 

Removed User 03 Mar 2018
In reply to cha1n:

Yes, they've never been able to come up with insurance that reimburses time and experience.

Jon Read 03 Mar 2018
In reply to cha1n:

Great! Better 2 down than 4.

Sealwife 03 Mar 2018
In reply to cha1n: Having had a similar experience recently, I have discovered, whether or not your BMC insurance pays out depends on the reason the airline cancelled.

In my case it was "operational reasons" which is not an insured peril, not that I ever found that detailed in the policy.

Good luck, and I hope you manage to complete your journey soon.

CasWebb 03 Mar 2018
In reply to andi turner:

Interesting. They flat refused to pay out anything to a team of us who got stranded by the volcano and that is the main reason I will never use them again.

andi turner 03 Mar 2018
In reply to CasWebb:

That does seem strange. It was the easiest thing in the world for me and my family. The hardest part was finding a flight when they finally came around. I remember I had to pay upfront and then was reimbursed. It was well over a grand for an Alicante to Manchester flight. Strange though isn't it, you'll never use them again and I wouldn't trust anyone else but them! It's the whole point of the insurance surely, that they'd get you home if things go up the swanny?

andi turner 03 Mar 2018
In reply to CasWebb:

I don't know why, as this clearly states upto £5000 for cancellations or £2500 for airspace closures, you can even claim upto £1000 for missing your connection.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/WhatsCovered.aspx

CasWebb 04 Mar 2018
In reply to andi turner:

Neither do we, their attitude was extremely poor and they didn't care about our losses at all. Appalling service as far as we were concerned.

Sealwife 04 Mar 2018
In reply to andi turner: Only if your flight is cancelled for a particular reasons, which yours clearly was and mine wasn't.

However, which reasons are covered does not appear to be written on the policy.  In my case, the airline decided they simply were not going to operate that particular flight, and that is apparently not insured.

It made no difference to me why the flight was cancelled - my family and I were still stuck.  

We were OK, we had somewhere to stay and we were booked onto a flight the following day but the experience didn't make me inclined to use them again.

andi turner 04 Mar 2018
In reply to Sealwife:

Did you not take it to the financial ombudsmen?

andi turner 04 Mar 2018
In reply to Sealwife:

> We were OK, we had somewhere to stay and we were booked onto a flight the following day but the experience didn't make me inclined to use them again.

Isn't that just classed as a delay? You should've got £120 for that and your airline should've paid for food vouchers, accommodation and your flight the following day. Did that not occur?

Sealwife 04 Mar 2018
In reply to andi turner: I complained to BMC who passed it on elsewhere (not sure if it was the ombudsman, certainly not what the company was called).  The other company investigated it and found that my losses were indeed uninsured but as it had taken several months of phone calls, letters and emails to get to the point where I was told this ( could have been handled in approx 5 mins on the phone) and that this was unacceptable, they gave me a "goodwill" payment to go away!

My airline did put us up and give us a meal (eventually - there were various cock ups along the line there too), but no other compensation.  Was a total pain as other half had to take a day off work unpaid and kids all missed school (they were not complaining),

andi turner 04 Mar 2018
In reply to Sealwife:

What were you claiming for i.e. what were your losses? I don't think the insurance covers loss of earnings. At least it doesn't say it does.

It's not really any of my business, but I'm interested as I've always used them as they've always done a good job (on the one occasion I needed them). On the other occasions I've had a delayed flight etc, then the airline has always sorted me out in some way or other (flight vouchers, food vouchers, accommodation etc).  

I agree it's a total pain but if they started compensating every passenger every time there was a delay, then everyone would pay in the end, ultimately the insurance companies need to be "up" by a percentage to make it viable. Plus, who would decide which passengers deserved more than others? Would it be the ones who had an urgent business meeting, a job interview, medical help or a route they'd been training for the past year? Or, as it is, just a flat rate for delays?

XXXX 05 Mar 2018
In reply to CasWebb:

> their attitude was extremely poor and they didn't care about our losses at all. Appalling service as far as we were concerned.

I had a similar experience when claiming for a routine medical expense whilst in chamonix. Never used them since.

J1234 05 Mar 2018
In reply to CasWebb:

> Neither do we, their attitude was extremely poor and they didn't care about our losses at all. Appalling service as far as we were concerned.

I to claimed because of the Volcano,I got £50. I was stuck in USA for 10 days. I found BMC not so good, all of a sudden it was not BMC insurance for members, but the name of the Underwriter and they only sold it for them, now clear of. 

Toerag 05 Mar 2018
In reply to cha1n:

If the airline cancels your flight for technical /operational reasons then they have to compensate you for the cost of the flight (i.e. refund) or put you on another one because it's their fault. I don't believe they have to compensate you for consequences.  If the flight is cancelled due to factors beyond their control (weather, air traffic control strike etc.) they don't have to compensate you but your travel insurance should.

If your flight starts in an EU country there are EU rules on compensation for delays  / cancellations even if the airline isn't based in the EU.

Sealwife 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Toerag:

That is very helpful Toerag.  Had the insurance company used by the BMC actually told me that when I called to make a claim, I would have thanked them for the info, not bothered proceeding and chalked it up to experience.  

Also, having that info on the policy might be handy as well, rather than stating that they will pay out a flat sum on a delay, but not specifying that it's only on some types of delay and not on others.  

Sealwife 05 Mar 2018
In reply to andi turner:

The insurance policy stated they would compensate a flat rate for delays, so I thought I'd ring up and enquire.  This set in motion several months of emails, letters and telephone calls, between me, the insurance company and my airline.  Was a huge pain in the bum and had they just told me in the first place that they only paid out in specific circumstances and mine wasn't one of them, I'd have not been too bothered.

As it was, it became a bit of a saga, and a huge waste of everyone's time.  The general inefficiency of the insurance company in dealing with my case is what concerned me, rather than the fact that my claim wasn't paid out on.  I would hope that, should someone be in extremis, injured, unwell or unable to get home, they would up their game somewhat.

Team BMC 05 Mar 2018
In reply to cha1n:

Sorry to hear that you missed out on your trip to Font. The Beast from the East strikes again!

Full details of BMC Travel Insurance Cover can be found in the Evidence of Cover (specifically Section 8 Journey Disruption including Airspace Closure, Section 9 Delayed Departure and Section 10 Missed Departure / Missed Connection), which can be located here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/r/downloads/BMC%202017%2018%20Ev...  

Should the airline cancel your outbound flight, they must provide you with an alternative flight or offer you a refund. Your rights are outlined in the following article from Citizens Advice: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compen...

If you have any questions about BMC Travel Insurance, please get in touch with the BMC office on 0161 445 6111 and we will do our best to try and help. 

CasWebb 05 Mar 2018
In reply to J1234:

That was exactly the kind of response I got, but without the £50. BMC rep most definitely did not act for their members.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...