UKC

Gear in cabin luggage esp Stansted, Nice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 silhouette 04 Mar 2018

I expect some grumpy smart-alec will be on soon saying "its been answered 10492 times already" but some of those answers date back to 2002 and procedures move on.  I am interested in recent experiences of taking things like harness, helmet, a handful of quickdraws, two screwgates, an atc or maybe a gri-gri, one short sling in hand / cabin luggage;  particularly from, Stansted and Nice.  Definitely no rope.  Cheers.

JPE 04 Mar 2018
In reply to silhouette:

We took helmets and 50L packs onto a flight to Santander last December. We took all our gear in the hold however as didn't want to risk it getting confiscated 

Luke90 04 Mar 2018
In reply to silhouette:

Fine, I'll be the grumpy smart-alec! It's been done to death and if you've bothered to read ANY of the hundreds of threads that have dealt with it far more recently than 2002, you'll know that nobody can give you a definitive answer. It's down to the discretion of individual security staff making their own judgements on the day.

Some people might come on to tell you they've managed it fine. Others will warn you that you might get stopped. Nobody knows for certain. It's a gamble. End thread.

Andy Hardy 04 Mar 2018
In reply to silhouette:

Have you looked into posting some kit out ahead of your trip, then posting it home again after?

Never done this myself, but if it means you can fly hand luggage only it might be worth it.

scott titt 04 Mar 2018
In reply to silhouette: Hi Roger, what's new recently is that easyJet will take your hand baggage as hold baggage for £5 each way, so avoiding security, it's called HandsFree. Not a lot of use if you are using Ryan air from Stansted though!

kevin stephens 04 Mar 2018
In reply to silhouette:

to save you the unbearable stress of doing a search; knucledusters are specifically banned items.  many underpaid and over-busy security staff may class a carabiner as a knuckleduster.  Is the cot of hold luggage really worth ruining your climbing trip?

baron 04 Mar 2018
In reply to silhouette:

You can carry a helmet but not inside your bag.

It has to be tied on the outside to show other passengers what a tough climber you are and to annoy said passengers as it swings about in the cabin.

A technique perfected by a myriad of skiers and snowboarders. 

SFrancis 04 Mar 2018
In reply to silhouette:

Carried a rope, full set of draws, a jumar, gri gri, slings, etc... from stanstead to Zaragoza in hand luggage last November. Stopped at security on the way back but when I showed them what it is they seemed fine. I did wonder if I would end up having to pay for it to go into hold. I’ve taken rope / draws in hand luggage to Germany and Greece last year and I had to open my bag at security on one occasion in the uk, as the draws looked like a chain on the X-ray. Again happy when they saw it was Climbing gear. 

Haven’t tried trad gear yet, and I thought the jumar maybe pushing it, as if anything looks like a knuckle duster it’s that.

So either I’ve been lucky a lot of times or it’s ok. So I will continue to take it in hand luggage. 

GrahamD 05 Mar 2018
In reply to silhouette:

Oh ffs. Just pay for one 25kg bag between two and don’t risk completely screwing your holiday for the sake of a few quid

OP silhouette 05 Mar 2018
In reply to scott titt:

> Hi Roger, what's new recently is that easyJet will take your hand baggage as hold baggage for £5 each way, so avoiding security, it's called HandsFree. Not a lot of use if you are using Ryan air from Stansted though!

Thanks Scott. That, and some of the others, is actually very useful information. On holidays I always do have a hold bag but this is not a climbing holiday - I may just bump into someone there.

And some of the other replies; interesting that some folk get away with metalwork; also it was slowly dawning on me that parcel deliveries can be convenient.

Vigier 05 Mar 2018
In reply to silhouette:

I often fly easyjet to Nice ( average four to six times per year over last ten years) as I am retired and have an apartment there and often carry climbing hardware as cabin luggage, including gun like shunt, krabs , grigri etc.

Never had an issue, not even asked to explain their use.

But perhaps it's because I'm old!

Stairclimber 05 Mar 2018
In reply to silhouette:

Like some others, I struggle to see the relevance of this question, because we find that shared climbing gear plus a few other 'must be carried in the hold' items come to around 20 kg in a holdall. Our clothing etc for a 2 week trip then gets carried in cabin baggage. Surely 10 kg (or 8 kg with some transfers) per person won't provide sufficient gear even for those who don't change their underpants for a fortnight. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...