UKC

Scarpa Boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rob1 05 Mar 2018

Has anyone ski'd in both the Scarpa Denali TT or the Mistrale ?

If so is the Mistrale a stiffer boot I know its slightly lighter, the old style [2015 Mistrale] are on sale at Sports direct for about £205.

I'm looking to upgrade the Denali TT, but most of my skiing is resort based off piste or day touring route approach with the odd multi day tour.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

J Whittaker 05 Mar 2018
In reply to rob1:

Ive got the new maestrale 2.0's. Skiied a few days in them so far, 2 days touring and 1 day just locked down into alpine mode.

Having only ever skiied alpine boots before this year im pleased with the maestrales. They are nearly 1kg per boot lighter than my old alpine boots and i cant say i feel insecure in them compared. Maybe id notice more of a difference if i was a higher calibre of skiier but for me they are great.

kevin stephens 08 Mar 2018
In reply to rob1:

I skied everything from piste to touring for a few years in Denali TTs (the red ones).  The change when I moved onto stiffer freeride/touring boots was phenomenal.  I now have Technica Pro lights with power-straps fitted, reputed 120 stiffness compared to around 70ish for the Denalis.  I can't comment on the Mistrales but if you are investing in new boots I would consider a wider range of options to get something that is optimum for you in the long run (even if this does just vindicate choice of the Mistrales)

Post edited at 15:01
In reply to rob1:

The Maestrale (from 2012) were a considerable change from the earlier Denalis in that they immediately felt lighter but softer on the foot. Still good control when tightening them right up but the Denali felt a lot stiffer, good for tired sagging on the shins.

If you are bashing about on foot a lot, the Maestrale is super comfortable but so light I can feel the sole flex when rock hopping on the balls of my feet.

As an aside, the biggest difference you can make in comfort, regardless of boot, is to wear pants that allow easy access and adjustment to the boots when skinning/skiing, rather than putting up with something because it's such a faff to adjust IMHO.  Seventies flares are the biz. 

galpinos 08 Mar 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

In the TGR master list the Maestrales get a flex of 85 and the Pro Lights 100.

I'm in Scarpa Freedom SLs (115 in the list) and they are the mut's for a "quiver killer boot", though the walk mode is mainly used for chasing the kids, building snowmen and sledging nowadays!

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/261028-AT-Boot-Comparati... 

For the OP, the TT gets 80 in the list so the Maestrale is a little stiffer and probably has a smoother flex, though no were near the flex pattern of an overlap.

kevin stephens 08 Mar 2018
In reply to galpinos:

> In the TGR master list the Maestrales get a flex of 85 and the Pro Lights 100.

Yes but that's before I had the power straps fitted to the Pro Lights which make a massive difference making them equivalent (apparently) to the Technica Cochise 120; significantly stiffer than my previous Black Diamond factor 110s, (which come out as 105 in the list) there's an on-line review somewhere that concurs

Post edited at 16:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...