UKC

Alps family long weekend recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 05 Mar 2018

Hi 

looking at heading out to the Alps this summer with the wife and my 12 and 15 year old daughters and need some advice on where to go.

Got a few ideas myself as I’ve been a few times but not with my family.

Currently got flying from Liverpool to Geneva as a cheap option and maybe staying in Chamonix but was looking else.

Want somewhere with Mountains preferably, so a nice alpine resort with nice restaurants and walks would be ideal.

Thanks

Phil4000 05 Mar 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Saint Gervais, just around the corner and fits the bill, we love it there. 

Gone for good 05 Mar 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Saas Fee has everything you are looking for. Maybe a 2 hour 30 minute drive from Geneva? Great mountain vista of the Mischabel chain from the town centre and surrounded by great walking/scrambling/mountaineering.

Free ski lifts in the summer as well as long as you are registered as staying in the town or surrounding area.

peterjb 05 Mar 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Did the same last summer with my family (wife and 2 11yo girls). We flew to Geneva, hired a car and drove to argentiere. Booked a family room in hotel le dahu which was excellent value in a lovely village ( last stayed there 19 years ago camping and climbing aguilles, and all over). We walked up mer de glacé from montenvers which was great fun and allowed plenty of easy crampon fun. Did walks on aguilles rouge (grand terrace south I think). Had a day out at the emossen dam (salivating over the climbing wall) and watched a stage of the Tour de France nearby. If you plan it you can have a blast and enjoy the high mountains in a way that inspires the kids. Have fun! (I’m on easyJet site now you’ve planted the seed).

Post edited at 21:04
 abr1966 05 Mar 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

I always enjoyed Morzine when my kids were younger....lots to do and good public transport...

freeheel47 05 Mar 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

hello Chamonix is easy- nearby- loads of transfer companies and a wide variety of accommodation plus wet and dry weather options.

But what about a mini hut to hut walk?

Day 1

Liverpool-Geneva- (Easyjet)-

Geneva- Trelechamps (Montain drop offs / Chamexpress etc) stay at Gite la Boerne http://www.la-boerne.fr/en/ (or Argentiere- Gite le Belvedere)

Day 2

then walk along the Aiguilles Rouges to Flegere- then to Brevant then down to Chamonix (if wet get cable car down at Flegere) or carry on to the refuge at the top of Brevant

then Plan Praz gondola down into Chamonix- either stay there (and or have a day in Chamonix as a rest) or get the bus to les Houches. Either stay at the Gite Michel Fagot http://www.gite-fagot.com/ or go for the Pop Art RockyPop Hotel http://www.rockypop-chamonix.com/#!hotel-chamonix/sejour-chamonix  The gite is fun and friendly and cheap (and a bit YHA- but with nice food and beer). The Rocky Pop is really cool with C3PO and R2D2 in the lobby and with amazing food.

Day 3

Then- Bellevue cable car up to Col Voza- walk to les Contamines (there is a CAF hut or try la Fereme du Bon Papa)

Day 4

Then either back to Blighty via MDO / Sleasyjet or carry on up to the Refuge du col du croix du Bonhomme (stay the night in a real hut) then down to les Chapieux-

Day 5

from there bus to Bourg- then GVA-LPL.

OP andyd1970 05 Mar 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Thanks guys great food for thought

rocksol 06 Mar 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Chamonix It's got everything and well served with lifts. There,s now also an excellent via Ferratta within easy walking of Flagere lift. If they fix it the cabins across to Italy from Midi is one of the journeys of the world if you,re not used to being in high mountains.

mowhere else in western Europe has mountains like Cham

OP andyd1970 07 Mar 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Looks like we will be opting for Chamonix it is.

Thanks for the recommendations 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...