UKC

VIDEO: James Pearson: Beyond the Mostest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Mar 2018
In November 2017, James Pearson made the first ascent of Power Ranger 5.14 R at Sunset Rocks, Chattanooga, TN. A video has just been released of James' journey towards climbing the line, in which he undergoes a second metamorphosis from wannabe Frenchman to fully-fledged American in order to 'send' the route. More important, though, is the lesson he learns along the way.

Read more
 CragRat11 12 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I expected to hate that so much........

But it totally pulled me in. Some tongue in cheek humour, heartfelt reality at the end. And what a beautful route.

I will never stop enjoying seeing climbers taking the piss out of themselves. It's so vital.

Nice one!

Alex Riley 12 Mar 2018
In reply to CragRat11:

One of the best climbing videos I've seen in a while...

greg_may_ 12 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent, very insightful words too. 

Ramon Marin 12 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great looking route and rock! 

sfletch 12 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Climbing starts at 9min

jon 12 Mar 2018
In reply to sfletch:

> Climbing starts at 9min

Yep , padding (literally). A waste of 9 minutes (was it really 9 minutes?)

misterb 12 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Who cares about the padding,what a bit of climbing at the top

massive run out and goey moves add up to one ballsy boy

Well done that man

rob_s_h 12 Mar 2018

Video gives a different impression of James from one I'd had before and I'm not sure I like it so much. Was it really necessary to bring out clichéd American tropes and bash Trump and modern life in a climbing video?

What a route though, no preplaced gear either.

spidermonkey09 12 Mar 2018
In reply to rob_s_h:

Why not? Its not like theres a shortage of straight up climbing films.

james mann 12 Mar 2018
In reply to rob_s_h:

Filmmakers can’t really win. If they appeal to the youth then that’s shit and if they make something funny with social comment then that’s shit too. Thought this was pretty good and the climbing segment was fantastic. Something different from the millisecond attention span, quick cut, logo filled usual and a bit of fun. My thoughts for what they’re worth. 

James

nastyned 12 Mar 2018
In reply to james mann:

It just went on too long for me though. If the stuff at the start was cut in half I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it more. Great climbing though after the nine minute mark though. 

Post edited at 21:40
Removed User 12 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I thought that was brilliant. Maybe the Trump sequence went on a bit (like all Trump sequences) but the climbing afterwards more than made up for it. Awesome looking route and well captured. I quite enjoyed all the piss taking at the start. Round of applause all round. 

GDes 12 Mar 2018

very good. Similar style to the bronx one he did recently. A bit different with great climbing footage. Good stuff

jezb1 12 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

They should release two versions of the film, one for grumpy old tossers like me who couldn't care less about James' opinions on life but thought the climbing part was flipping ace, and enjoyed watching him climb so smoothly, then one for people who enjoyed the humour bits.

stp 13 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I thought this was good. Apart from the runouts it's pretty bold making a climbing film like this: that's different to others and could easily fall flat on it's face. However I thought it worked really well and it kept me engaged for the whole duration.

wolf.leeb 13 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

pfff..

awkward..

but wait, what's this...

ohhh, nice route and good send.

Chris_Mellor 14 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Just simply ludicrously brilliant climbing. Awesomely great. Now I'm off to struggle up 6a routes at West way

pneame 14 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very enjoyable - nice contrast between the beginning and the end made the climbing part even better - added to the fact that Sunset, above Chattanooga, is just a great place.

http://www.seclimbers.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=...

and

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105888070/sunset-park

Lots of reasonably graded routes. Although I'll confess I was completely spanked by a 5.6 (I think - my memory has been edited to avoid too much embarrassment) and a fabulous location. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...