UKC

Famous movie scenes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 13 Mar 2018

I have a project/idea for work where I'm hoping to make a calendar of images recreating famous movie scenes.  The problem is that I need help with possible ideas for a bunch of amateurs to pose in and an amateur photographer who has never taken on such a project.  Gulp!

Each scene would have about four people in it, maybe more if its not too over busy.

I thought about:

Ghostbusters

Some Star Wars scene

If that idea does not work then I was thinking about famous scenes with lots of people like, the famous scene of people high up on an iron girder or the Rat Pack pool table scene.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

The New NickB 13 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Reservoir Dogs, Trainspotting (the film poster).

Blue Straggler 13 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Travolta and Thurman Batusi dance, Pulp Fiction. Requires very little effort but demands good looking people maybe

Try to avoid anything that requires specific costuming, props and sets. So DeNiro with a mohawk in Taxi Driver is probably a no. 

UNLESS there is some budget for such things?

tehmarks 13 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

The Shining?

yorkshireman 13 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

The Usual Suspects with the police height lines behind them?

Tom Valentine 13 Mar 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

Beat me to it. Apparently it takes over a full working day to film it, though.

balmybaldwin 13 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

The Diner scene from Pulp Fiction?

Doug 13 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

there's a few very classic moments in 2001 A Space Odyssey, maybe something from Casablanca ?

Tom Valentine 13 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> If that idea does not work then I was thinking about famous scenes with lots of people 

Please allow me to offer my services. I would be willing to portray the Reverend Otto Witt in Zulu, specifically in the "Ripens at Noon" scene. I promise to avert my eyes.

In reply to The Lemming:

Carry On Up The Khyber. Just needs kilts.

Pids 13 Mar 2018
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> Carry On Up The Khyber. Just needs kilts.

Then some blue paint and Braveheart Freeeeeeeedom scene

Good luck Lemming, hope you share the pictures with us

Post edited at 19:42
 wilkie14c 13 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Dawn of the dead, film it on central drive 

FactorXXX 13 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Wayne's World: Bohemian Rhapsody
ET: ET in bike basket (Bailey could play ET...)

In reply to tehmarks:

> The Shining?

I feel extremely privileged to have been the assistant editor who worked with Stanley Kubrick cutting one of the most famous scenes in modern cinema: Jack axing the bathroom door and then saying 'Here's Johnny!' I.e I was the first person ever to see this scene (apart from the director) coming to fruition as we constructed and edited it out of a huge number of different takes.

FactorXXX 13 Mar 2018
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> I feel extremely privileged to have been the assistant editor who worked with Stanley Kubrick cutting one of the most famous scenes in modern cinema: Jack axing the bathroom door and then saying 'Here's Johnny!' I.e I was the first person ever to see this scene (apart from the director) coming to fruition as we constructed and edited it out of a huge number of different takes.

This is my tribute to that scene:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132898553@N08/37611896136/in/dateposted-publi...

OP The Lemming 13 Mar 2018
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Dawn of the dead, film it on central drive 

I'm pissing myself with that one.

However I'm not making a documentary at this moment. 

I'm more than happy to take a stab at a scene from The Shining, what would you suggest which would require a few people in the shot?

Maybe One flew over the cookoo's nest?

tehmarks 13 Mar 2018

I was aware that you'd been involved in the grading, less so the editing process. It's a fantastic film; one of the few - possibly the only - where I can say I prefer the film over the book.

That said, I saw the film first and the book never really did it for me. I read it in one day between a cafe in l'Argentière-la-Bessée and Marseille airport. Not quite the right setting for a psychological thriller.

Post edited at 20:18
 Wainers44 13 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Potters wheel scene from Ghost

One dressed as Theresa May and dear old Patrick replaced by a Corbyn look alike. Gross, truly gross....

deepsoup 13 Mar 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

The great staircase from "A Matter of Life and Death" is missing. (It *definitely* deserves to be there.)

https://fanwithamovieyammer.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/matter-of-life-and-...

Too elaborate for Lemming prolly, but they use the set again towards the end with most of the cast on it:  http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sites/bfi.org.uk.films-tv-people/file...

Post edited at 21:06
In reply to FactorXXX:

Gorgeous. Thanks for that.

In reply to tehmarks:

> I was aware that you'd been involved in the grading, less so the editing process. It's a fantastic film; one of the few - possibly the only - where I can say I prefer the film over the book.

I wasn't involved with the grading at all (if by that you mean the way we use the term in the UK, colour grading). Just the picture editing and then the music editing. I was involved once with grading a movie: that was the American version of Legend, where new material had to be cut in to the original, with perfect colour matching. 

In reply to The Lemming:

Would the Rocky Horror be too daring?

tehmarks 13 Mar 2018

My memory obviously isn't what it was! There was a thread on here long ago (I think) in which you described the process of colour grading - obviously a completely different process in the days of film than it is now. I must have miscalculated 2+2=5.

FactorXXX 13 Mar 2018

> Gorgeous. Thanks for that.

Thanks, it was one of the very first photo's I took of Floss with a 'proper' camera (D40 - now languishing in a drawer in work) and still one of my favourites.  Upon looking at it a few years later, the idea to do a 'Here's Johnny' became apparent.
Have just added a comment in Flickr about sort of knowing, in a roundabout sort of way, the Assistant Editor of 'The Shining'.  Hope you don't mind.

Blue Straggler 13 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> I'm more than happy to take a stab at a scene from The Shining, what would you suggest which would require a few people in the shot?

Have you SEEN The Shining?!

In reply to tehmarks:

I was talking about my knowledge doing the grading on Legend, as I mentioned above. 

In reply to FactorXXX:

> Thanks, it was one of the very first photo's I took of Floss with a 'proper' camera (D40 - now languishing in a drawer in work) and still one of my favourites.  Upon looking at it a few years later, the idea to do a 'Here's Johnny' became apparent.

> Have just added a comment in Flickr about sort of knowing, in a roundabout sort of way, the Assistant Editor of 'The Shining'.  Hope you don't mind.

Don't mind at all. BTW (I guess quite a lot of people know this but) the line 'Here's Johnny!' was not in the script. It was Jack's idea: he just improvised it and Stanley liked it.

ClimberEd 14 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Until I read the actual post the pig scene from Deliverance sprang to mind.

May I suggest that as one to avoid for a calendar! 

OP The Lemming 14 Mar 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

Duelling banjos may make a better option.

BnB 14 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Because it's grounded in such ordinary surroundings you could reproduce the railway cafe in Brief Encounter with the star-crossed lovers in the background and the "rude mechanical" station master and cafe proprietor to the fore. The NW is full of such locations. Carnforth, where it was filmed, has been restored to its 40s glory http://www.refreshmentroom.com/

Staying with the railway theme, this time in Yorkshire, how about waving your knickers at a speeding train?

wercat 14 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Apocalypse Now perhaps.

Also I'm sure you can improvise a bit of indigestion leading to Morph bursting out through your ribs ...

Some very nice bits of dialogue in "Local Hero" - you could relocate it to Applecross

Post edited at 09:48
 wercat 14 Mar 2018
In reply to BnB:

There is a "Brief Encounter" railway restaurant in Langwathby on the Settle Carlisle line - perhaps they would oblige, once the ice age has retreated

In black and whiter there are some nice scenes in "Carry on Sergeant" - what about the poignant bit where William Hartnell marches off into retirement ....

Post edited at 09:52
In reply to The Lemming:

You'd need to work on the lighting, and obviously need some costume hire, but perhaps the scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark where the German chappies open the box and look inside?

Perhaps have a think about reworking the ET phone home scene?  Maybe, with a bit of photomerge, have a go at the Jaws poster, or perhaps get a powerful laser pointer and have a bit of fun with the 'No Mr Bond, I expect you to die' scene from Goldfinger, or pick any scene you like from a Clint Eastwood western.  

Lots of opportunities (and work!) there.

T.

Hat Dude 14 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

If you can borrow a couple of violins & a cello, what about the Ladykillers -Ealing classic version naturally

Andy Hardy 14 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Has anyone suggested the "Last Tango" butter scene yet? Just remember to keep the Lurpak off your lens.

tehmarks 14 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

The iconic scene involves a sum total of two people, one pickaxe and one expendable bathroom door. If you can't afford the bathroom door you might have some luck with a bear costume...

Max factor 14 Mar 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

You could have loads of fun whit Shaun of the Dead. Not sure which scene would count as iconic, but i'd love to get stuck in with throwing LPs at the stoned girl.  

One of those films that I just have to watch a bit of when channel surfing, same with any episode of Father Ted. 

In reply to Max factor:

Famous TV shows could go into the mix with Father Ted.

I have to say that this will all be low budget and I have to work out how to convey the feeling of the scene and make it instantly recognisable while most of the people will be dressed in green.

No challenge there. 

Post edited at 11:48
cb294 14 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Alien chestburster scene, with the help of a stuffed sock and a bottle of ketchup.

Failing that, the gallows scene from the good, the bad, and the ugly,

Lots of people: Zombies scaling walls in WWZ or the sea battle of Ben Hur recreated with pedalos.

MonkeyPuzzle 14 Mar 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Has anyone suggested the "Last Tango" butter scene yet? Just remember to keep the Lurpak off your lens.

That's wholly inappropriate! Lemming said it should be for four people, so the "Piggy" scene from Deliverance would fit the bill much better.

Tom Valentine 14 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

The ultimate four people scene for me would be...

Four men walking towards you, all dressed in black coats or dusters of various lengths; all have wide brimmed stetson type hats; all are substantially mustachioed; three look upright and ready for it but the guy on the left looks a bit under the weather. They all walk with an intense sense of purpose.

I hope you get this. You're a daisy if you do.

nigel baker 14 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

The shower scene in Psycho.......really one person and another that looks a bit like yer mum................maybe!

FactorXXX 14 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

'A Clockwork Orange' could be another one.
Relatively simple, yet powerful at the same time.

andymac 14 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Psycho.

not you .

the film(showered scene,knife, and all that)

Blue Straggler 14 Mar 2018
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Obsessed much? You love that film more than life itself ! 

Stichtplate 14 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Given the nature of your work, Ice Cold In Alex. Bar scene at the end would be the obvious one.

In reply to The Lemming:

Thank you for all the suggestions.  They are very much appreciated.

ClimberEd 15 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Too new to be cult, but very easy to recreate and likely a future classic, Joaquin Phoenix with the girl on his back in You Were Never Really Here.

Find a grizzled beardy mountaineer, carry a young girl on his back and have a thousand yard stare and you've got it. 

Hat Dude 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Pids:

> Then some blue paint and Braveheart Freeeeeeeedom scene

Get extra blue paint & you can do Avatar

Phil1919 15 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

'Broadsword calling Dannyboy' ........I often re-enact that in my head when I'm out walking.

OP The Lemming 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Hat Dude:

Or the Blue Man Group.

Lots of great suggestions which I can choose from to create instant images on a budget that can be recognised.

Another one that pops into mind is Wizard of Oz

Tom Valentine 15 Mar 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

I kept thinking I was watching Saul Berenson from Homeland, or even Steve Earle.

Chris Harris 15 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Blazing Saddles beans/campfire scene.

wercat 15 Mar 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

What,

not Sylvester Stallone's Rockclimbing technique?

wercat 15 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Lots of iconic scenes in The Eiger Sanction ...

How about Clint cutting his own rope near the railway window?

Or "wasting a little" his fellow agent at Kleine Scheidegge.   If you do that scene you need to catch a tourist clocking Clint and looking backwards to check.

Post edited at 13:54
 Tom Valentine 15 Mar 2018
In reply to wercat:

Or Kirk Douglas drytooling up that castle gate in The Vikings....

Blue Straggler 26 Mar 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

What have you chosen?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...