UKC

Dog friendly Cornwall crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RyanH 18 Mar 2018

Hello, 

I’m soon going to be moving to Plymouth and really looking forward to exploring Cornwall’s climbing. Are there any crags that are dog friendly that don’t require a abseil?

cheers.

funkyvin1 18 Mar 2018
In reply to RyanH:

I don't know much of Cornwall but most of Bosigran seems a reasonable place to start.

You also have the crags of Dartmoor on your doorstep.

Post edited at 10:56
OP RyanH 18 Mar 2018
In reply to funkyvin1:

Thank you. I did forget to mention that I know Dartmoor pretty well, as it’s quite accessible from where I live at the moment. Cornwall was just to far to travel for the day and didn’t have the van as I do now for a weekend trip. 

james mann 18 Mar 2018
In reply to RyanH:

Most places are relatively dog friendly as long as your dog is happy to be left alone tied up during the time when you are actually climbing. Even at Bosigran it is important to do this as there are all kinds of places where you wouldn’t want your dog to end up while you’re busy, although it does depend on the dog. Some places are better to leave dog at the top. A bigger problem is shade if it’s hot. Hot days are when I tend to think carefully about whether to take the dog. A short bit of old rope is really handy. My dog has been out all kinds of climbing days and enjoys it hugely. Culm coast is great with dog if they are happy scrambling down steep ground to reach crag as crags tend to be fairly well contained and usually single pitch (not Cornakey). You have to make your choice with venue depending on weather and your dog’s ability to negotiate terrain.   

James

OP RyanH 18 Mar 2018
In reply to james mann:

Brilliant cheers at the moment he is fine with scrabbling but wouldn’t really want to leave him. A cliff with a beach would be perfect. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...