UKC

Dry grit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crimpsoplenty 19 Mar 2018

Looking to get up to the peak tomorrow for some gritstone bouldering and just wondering if any of it is likely to be dry? Everything is drying off quick in the Midlands, is it the same further north? Any recommendations of areas that are likely to dry quicker than others? 

tehmarks 19 Mar 2018
In reply to crimpsoplenty:

I'm in Newcastle so can't comment on current conditions, but the more exposed crags (Stanage, Bamford, etc) usually dry quickly and are probably your best bet for finding dry rock.

Jimbo C 19 Mar 2018

There is still snow lying in Sheffield. I've not been to the crags recently but in previous Winters, snow blown by strong Easterly winds has dumped huge drifts of snow at the foot of West facing crags.

You may find dry grit on lower lying isolated boulder fields (like Cratcliffe area) but I wouldn't plan a special journey unless someone gives you a better heads up.

Iain Thow 19 Mar 2018

Still plenty of snow on the ground in Castleton this afternoon but rock in the sun is drying fast. The snow came from the east so has drifted up against anything west facing (i.e. most gritstone edges). You might get some good snowballing!

OP crimpsoplenty 19 Mar 2018

oh dear.....doesn't sound very promising! I may just end up feasting on cake in Outside

paul mitchell 19 Mar 2018
In reply to crimpsoplenty: try New Mills Torrs. Bouldering,bolts and trad. Overhangs in places,which helps keep rain and snow off.

In reply to paul mitchell:

thank you shall take a look

mrphilipoldham 19 Mar 2018

I've just been out for an hour at Hobson Moor and dropped by Broadbottom Quarry on the way back, both were bone dry apart from the usual spots where melt water was draining down them. I should imagine the eastern and western edges will be all be largely good tomorrow after today's sun! 

In reply to mrphilipoldham:

This is news I want to hear  

Michael Hood 19 Mar 2018
In reply to Iain Thow: soloing Tippler above snow has always sounded good.

mark s 19 Mar 2018

ive been past Ramshaw and the rock is dry

Iain Thow 19 Mar 2018
In reply to Michael Hood:

It's noticeably warmer than most of the forecasts were saying and things are melting fast now. Still supposed to freeze again tonight though. I'm working tomorrow but would be looking for (highish) ice rather than rock if I wasn't.

Iain Thow 19 Mar 2018
In reply to Michael Hood:

Just had a look at Stanage on the way home. There's still chunky amounts of snow below the Edge. Freezing level around 400m at 7pm.

Si dH 19 Mar 2018
In reply to Iain Thow:

Reports on facebook and ukb of quite a bit of dry rock (as well as wet) at stanage. Plantation area but mostly on the edge i think.

Ian Hislop. 

Oops, misread the title

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...