UKC

Belaying with a Gri Gri

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I belay using a gri Gri to safeguard my partner and make things easier for myself. My mate keeps whining to others about it.

What should I do? 

tehmarks 19 Mar 2018
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Does it really make things easier for yourself? You still need to pay attention and still need to hold the dead end of the rope...

CasWebb 19 Mar 2018

You could always try asking what they don't like about it and showing them that you know how to use it correctly.

Used correctly the Gri Gri is as good as any other device, used badly....

Niblet 19 Mar 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

You don't need to keep tension on the dead end of the rope while someone's hanging on the rope, that's easier.

john arran 19 Mar 2018

Just lower your mate down from the bridge.

Deadeye 19 Mar 2018

Gri something girl gri always.  Like whining easy stop you could toppish made silage.  Hopeful marmite devours Gri flange polish belay.

Glad I fixed it for ya.

martinturner 20 Mar 2018

Just make it look like you’re not paying attention, even though you’re fulky aware of the situation, and see what he says...

petellis 20 Mar 2018

> I belay using a gri Gri to safeguard my partner and make things easier for myself. My mate keeps whining to others about it.

> What should I do? 

Belay competently and catch them when they fall off. 

Accept that when you do something different some people might not like it, as long as its safe then its your choice whether to continue.  

Mick r 20 Mar 2018

He's probably complaining about the amount of time you are taking to give him enough slack rope to clip. They are only worth it if you're working a route, otherwise they're slow and cumbersome

Post edited at 14:33
 drolex 20 Mar 2018
In reply to petellis:

Alternatively, accept to switch and belay them with an ATC guide or similar. Then let them take a 10 m fall without catching them. That'll teach them.

(don't do this)

GridNorth 20 Mar 2018

Ask him what his specific problem is and advise him that it would be better to discuss it with you than just winging to 3rd parties. If, as others have hinted, you are short roping him you need to take remedial action.  This is a common problem and IMO one of the biggest flaws of the GriGri but certainly should not be a show stopper.

Al

Robert Durran 20 Mar 2018

> I belay using a gri Gri to safeguard my partner and make things easier for myself. My mate keeps whining to others about it.

> What should I do? 

Get a Click-Up

GridNorth 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

Agreed, much more intuitive to use and far less prone to short roping but I do seem to experience more rope twisting than with a GriGri.  Not worked out yet if it's the rope or the Click-Up.

Al

Bulls Crack 20 Mar 2018

I find its good practice using the gri-gri at a  wall. Leader rarely needs much rope and easy for top-roping

GridNorth 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I agree with you however, indoors it is always possible to just take a step or two forward to give slack which is not always practical or safe outdoors.

Al

CasWebb 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Mick r:

If you're paying attention to the leader, as the belayer always should be, they are no slower than any other device as you are ready to pull the rope through. The fault is when the belayer isn't paying attention and the device locks up when the leader tries to pull the rope up.

GridNorth 20 Mar 2018
In reply to CasWebb:

I disagree, GriGri's are far more prone to short roping than ATC style plates, Click-Ups and the Mammut Smart.

Al

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 20 Mar 2018

The leader should be entitled to dictate how they are belayed, what device you use and where you stand etc. It is more difficult to give a dynamic catch with a GriGri. Let the leader decide. 

stp 20 Mar 2018
In reply to CasWebb:

> they are no slower than any other device as you are ready to pull the rope through

I agree with this. But I would add that to pull rope through smoothly and quickly it's important to have the rope properly uncoiled and layered with the dead end running from the top of the pile.

Kevster 20 Mar 2018

Do you climb with southern gray? He seems to be perfect for you.

Isn't it clear by now, with all these endless discussions, that the two types of devices - Grigri and ATC-type belayers - have different pros and cons, so the type of climbing dictates which is the more appropriate to use.

As far as I can see, a majority of sport climbers favour the GriGri, whereas the vast majority of trad climbers favour ATC-type devices - both for good reasons.

Murcantile 20 Mar 2018

How else are you supposed to eat your pasty, drink your coffee, smoke a cigarette and Belay at same time! Plus occasionally rummage around looking for your chocolate in your rucksack? 

Robert Durran 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Steve Crowe:

> The leader should be entitled to dictate..............what device you use.

I disgaree.  Insisting on someone used to tubular devices using a Gri Gri is inviting failure at the second bolt while they grapple in confusion with the baffling contraption. Insisting on someone used to a Gri Gri using a tubular device is inviting death.

French Erick 21 Mar 2018
In reply to CasWebb:

> You could always try asking what they don't like about it and showing them that you know how to use it correctly.

> Used correctly the Gri Gri is as good as any other device, used badly....

...it is as bad as any other device!!!!!!

In reply to Kevster:

> Do you climb with southern gray? He seems to be perfect for you.

The thread was posted as a gentle dig at gray and his mate, hoping that they both will eventually see the funny side and put the handbags down. 

Shame that someone unknown changed the thread title as it reflected some of the behaviours displayed in the fall out. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...