UKC

LR Discovery Sport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 21 Mar 2018

Anyone got one, with the new TD4 (180bhp 2.0 Ingenium) ?

Opinions? Or did you rule one out and pick something else. I'm looking for something with 4wd and bigger/better boot than my car. Thinking about a 1yo Luxury HSE, but there's a lot of negativity about build quality of the Disco.

yorkshireman 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Philip:

> Anyone got one, with the new TD4 (180bhp 2.0 Ingenium) ?

> Opinions? Or did you rule one out and pick something else. I'm looking for something with 4wd and bigger/better boot than my car. Thinking about a 1yo Luxury HSE, but there's a lot of negativity about build quality of the Disco.

I've got one as a company car. I picked it specifically as we can choose whatever we want within budget. I've had it just over a year and am generally happy with it in and the few things that niggle me are seriously first-world problems. For a car of its type it doesn't feel too big, and it certainly drives like a smaller vehicle.

I do a lot of motorway miles in it and its a comfortable drive at 130kph, but equally I live in a small village in the alps so the 4WD comes in handy and you can sling it round hairpins without too many problems.

I'd rather have got an automatic but it was a toss up between that and the winter pack (heated seats, front windscreen, mirrors, steering wheel) to come under budget and I think on balance that was probably the best move with the winter we're currently having.

I also got rear-ended on the motorway (I slowed for an accident and some prick in a Merc was right up my arse in the rain) last year. The dog was in the boot and despite destroying the front of the other car (the driver was OK) we just had some cosmetic damage and were able to drive on our way (he had to be towed). So pretty solid from an anecdotal perspective.

UKB Shark 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Philip:

If by build quality you mean the exterior I've not noticed anything untoward. Interior wise the seat fabric isn't as robust as you'd expect and the plastics aren't as good as in a BMW. I don't like the way the sat nav works and the interior locking and seat folding are not intuitive. That aside it looks great, the engine is good, the drive pretty smooth and the seats are nicely supportive. Extra seats can occasionally be very handy. Panoramic roof is appreciated by the passengers. Overall we like it. 

Scott K 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Philip:

One of the guys at work has one and is very happy with it. Huge carrying capacity, 7 seats when needed, great in the snow (even with normal tyres). His is the HSE lux and he can pre warm the car from an app on his phone (you need to have reception). The only issue he has had is a rattling from the pillar which apparently is a well known issue and easily sorted.

Tyres are expensive!

yorkshireman 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Scott K:

> Tyres are expensive!

I didn't find that. I got four winter tyres (despite the 4WD, still makes more of a difference and are essential in these parts) last autumn from the dealership my car came from (since FeuVert screwed up my order). I was expecting them to cost a fortune but I think they were ~120€ each, which I think is par for the course for a decent set.

Scott K 27 Mar 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

Depends on the size of course but his were just over £200 each.

Hillwalker 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Philip:

I have had one since December 2015, its the best car I have ever owned, (I had 5 Mondeos in succession for the previous 12 years) I still get a huge grin on my face every time I get in it.  I cannot fault it at all and will certainly replace it with another one in due course.  I have the 150 bhp version with manual gearbox, i get a consistent overall average mpg of 41 with mixed driving conditions.  I had a 180 bhp for a few days when I needed a small job doing and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference, but maybe you would if doing a lot of towing or serious off road work.  The DS is brilliant off road too, I commend it without hesitation.

Just had 2 new front tyres at 33,000 miles (Pirelli M &S, All terrain Scorpions) cost £145 each including fitting etc, so not too dear.  Rear tyres will be OK for another 5 - 6,000 miles at least.

I chose to have a 5 seater as I will never need 7, so why carry 100Kg extra weight?  I also went for SE Tech plus reversing camera, all leather seats and a spare tyre rather than paying HSE price and getting gimmick bling bits I don't need.

Post edited at 18:03
OP Philip 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Hillwalker:

Mostly positives then. The 41mpg is a bit disappointing, but otherwise things seem good.

1philjones1 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Philip:

I don’t get anything like 41 in my HSE 180bhp. Averages 35 even in eco mode and I certainly don’t flog it. New automatic gearbox after 20k and just had new rear discs and pads due to corrosion after 33k, apparently a known issue due to a bad batch. Multiple instances of warning lights for electrical or sensor faults. Love the car when it’s going and thank god for the warranty! Service from LR has been very good sorting the issues but not sure I’ll be keeping it out of warranty. 

oldbloke 29 Mar 2018
In reply to 1philjones1:

We had one at work.  Regular irritating electrical issues which LR took ages to fix.  And a fuel tank with a range which wasn't up to the job.  The fashion for them meant we sold it at a decent price, but there won't be another to replace it.  Discounts on other brands for better kit are more attractive.  We got a Touareg for less than another Disco Sport.

Hillwalker 31 Mar 2018
In reply to 1philjones1:

Sounds like you got an unfortunate Friday afternoon car!!  I would not buy the 180 bhp auto because of the very poor mpg it returns.  I have never used the ECO button on my 150 bhp, and I don't make any attempt to be economical, usually cruising at 80+ on motorways.  My car has been absolutely faultless, no rattles, squeaks or anything like that at all, no parts needed replacing early.  As for the small tank, I don't understand the criticism because I get 420 miles from a fill up, which I think is fine.  

At the end of the day you can get a Friday afternoon BMW, MERC or VW, I love my Disco Sport, its a great car.  You pay your money and take your choice.

Hillwalker 31 Mar 2018
In reply to Scott K:

I think somebody saw him coming!

OP Philip 31 Mar 2018
In reply to Hillwalker:

41 mpg is crap for a new car new engine. At the moment only the design and bootsize seem redeeming features. This was going to be a long term car 6 - 7 years, but that means 100-150k miles and I'm worried about the costs over that time. For people on less than 10k miles / year I can see this isn't a concern.

For comparison, my A7 that I want to switch from is heavier, has 3.0L V6, also 4wd and returns 47-50 mpg on most journeys. I avoided the DS when I got the A7 as the ingenium engines weren't ready yet, but they don't seem to be delivering the hyped economy.

1philjones1 31 Mar 2018
In reply to Hillwalker:

Can you explain what you mean? Bought off a main dealer with 1k miles on the clock. 

Post edited at 20:02
1philjones1 31 Mar 2018
In reply to 1philjones1:

Sorry-ignore the last, misunderstood your post, Hillwalker. 

Hillwalker 03 Apr 2018
In reply to Philip:

I totally agree, 41mpg is not good for a 2.oL engine and the DS is certainly not living up to the ridiculous claims made by LR.  But 41/42 mpg overall is OK by me, I can afford it, I am happy with it.  I intend to change it at about 50 - 60,000 miles as I have always done, so long term costs are not an issue, even though I see no reason why they should be higher than other car costs. At least they haven't resorted to using dodgy software found in other 'premium' German marques!  If you want 50+mpg look elsewhere, there are plenty of choices.  

OP Philip 03 Apr 2018
In reply to Hillwalker:

I thought I'd found a solution, a Lexus NX. But the boot is tiny. Ticked all the other boxes : heated and cooled seats, memory seats, panoramic roof, hybrid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...