UKC

Durable 2-person tent recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
elfears 24 Mar 2018

I will be working/living outdoors from May-August around Yorkshire and Lancashire, with hopefully some bouldering and hiking adventures in the Peaks and Lakes. I am looking at buying my first tent. I am prioritising durability and hardiness. I have been looking at semi-geodesics like the Alpkit Tetri 2, Berghaus Cairngorm/Grampian and OEX Bandicoot II. I like the look of the Berghaus Grampian - two doors seems really useful - but I am struggling to find helpful reviews online. 

Is there spec I should be looking for, or well-known hardy tents to consider?

Thanks! 

In reply to elfears:

If you're going to be living in a tent for three months continually, then I suspect there are three considerations worth paying more for; roominess, stability and weatherproofing.

With that in mind, and also since you haven't given a budget, you might want to look at either a MacPac Olympus - a two man tunnel tent, but well guyed and with the ability to be double poled which you really shouldn't need - or a Quasar, or similar design (Vango have a number).

If budget is a key consideration, don't rule out looking on ebay, or similar.  A good 'un in good condition used is still a good 'un.

T.

Jon Stewart 24 Mar 2018
In reply to elfears:

I love my Hubba Hubba.

(This sounds like the title of some pop song involving a sex/drugs double entendre along the lines of "Don't mess with my toot-toot" but it isn't, it's a genuine recommendation.)

Siward 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I'd agree. A living in tent should probably be big, cotton and second hand.

Jim Lancs 25 Mar 2018
In reply to elfears:

If you're going to leave it pitched as your 'home' for the whole summer, then UV degradation will probably ensure that the tent is completely rotten by the autumn. So don't buy your 'forever tent' but get something that will get the job done this summer. Have a look in Decathlon.

IPPurewater 25 Mar 2018
In reply to elfears:

The Alpkit Viso is a similar price to the Tetri and only 340g heavier, but it would give you much more living space.

To counter the UV a cheap tarp can be put over the tent and guyed out with cord or tough string.

ballsac 25 Mar 2018
In reply to elfears:

if i was going to be - effectively - living in a tent for three months, i wouldn't fancy doing it in some pokey little backpacking tent, i'd think it would be a sure fire way to becoming a serial killer...

i'd look a big, old fashioned canvas thing from the 70/80's, or a newer bell tent. you'll have room to get dressed standing up, have a table and chair for eating, reading etc.., and have room to dry your kit out.

i'd also assume that it would be fit only for the skip after 3 months.

JohnnyW 25 Mar 2018
In reply to elfears:

With all the above caveats of the effects of UV on the flysheet, I have just bought a Berghaus Grampian and used it winter camping alongside clients who were in a much more expensive MH Trango 3. I must say watching them flap in the wind and comparing condensation, it was very good indeed for the money. I don't think it would stand a very heavy storm, but if you are camping in a valley, I would say you could do a lot worse for the money.

On a recent trip to Argentina, the porters there bungy tarps or the likes over the top of their tents to protect them from the worse of the UV....see if you can mackle something similar?

d_b 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

A mate of mine lived in a Macpac Olympus for a year.  By the end of it the tent was still physically in good nick but was going fungal and hummed a bit.

Siward 26 Mar 2018
In reply to ballsac:

The big tents that are pitched by companies, such as Eurocamp, on the continent, get at least a couple of seasons use and they're outside spring to autumn. Seriously heavy fabric compared to any mountain tent

elfears 26 Mar 2018
In reply to elfears:

Thank-you everyone! I didn't expect so many responses; all super helpful. The tarp is a really good shout, and a bit of a better option than the 4 massive bottles of wax proofing I was recommended in an outdoors shop! 

Cheers again!

Solaris 26 Mar 2018
In reply to elfears:

> I am prioritising durability and hardiness.

Having had supposedly strong tents made by a well-known manufacturer fail after a few alps seasons + trips to Wadi Rum, I'd say that the key factor for durability, other things being equal, is UV resistance. Of course, if you are sticking to the UK, this will be less of a factor.

I'd also suggest talking to a good independent retailer: some of them are very well-informed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...