UKC

Boot/crampon for child size 3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew Wilson 26 Mar 2018

Has anyone got any advice or experience of boots suitable for a 9 year old that will fit a crampon?

He has warm waterproof boots but they are not 'B' anything, just bog standard kids walking boots.

I can't seem to find anything conclusive online. He is size 3, and none of the boots I can find have a heel rand so a full strap-on crampon would be needed. Any suggestions for a crampon which would fit a kids boot?

We only intend on climbing a grade 1 gully so perhaps if it is stepped out or soft some sort of micro spike on his boots would do, again if anyone has any advice or experience of trying this I'd be interested to hear it. 

Thanks

Andy

TobyA 26 Mar 2018
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

Check what size the cheap Decathlon boots go down to. I imagine a 10 point crampon will be your best bet to fit a small boot. You might need to hacksaw the bar or put a bolt in it to make it small enough.

Seems these are made in 3 https://www.decathlon.co.uk/womens-light-mountain-boots-id_8393495.html

Post edited at 11:50
 David Bennett 26 Mar 2018
In reply to Andrew Wilson: Have you thought of wemen's boots, they start around 3 / 35.5 

OP Andrew Wilson 26 Mar 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Women's is a good idea. Those boots look better than mine! 

Thanks for the link. 

Andy

In reply to David Bennett:

Thanks, good idea!

Andy

gravy 26 Mar 2018

Done quite a bit with a small child in regular el cheapo kids walking boots and mountain technology nevis crampons which easily went down to size three - the bar sticks out at the back a little (designed to be trimmed but I left it - it doesn't do any harm).  Boots were flexible and crampons rigid but there was absolutely no problem at this weight. The MT crampons are inexpensive and go that bit smaller than others and will grow to full size so not a waste of money.

FWIW ice axe technique in pure ice or hard snow can prove more of a problem first time than crampons but a tiny bit of controlled whacking practice the day before helps a lot to channel the power and generate some bite.

I recommend gaiters as well, multiple gloves and lots and lots of food.

girlymonkey 26 Mar 2018

Bear in mind that a small boot will naturally be more rigid even if it's not a rated boot. I'm a 4.5 and a b1 for me is as stiff as a b3 for my husband. Some sort of reasonably solid leather boots with a strap on crampon should be fine.

In reply to gravy:

The MT crampons look ideal, and go small enough. Thanks! I thought gaiters too. 

Andy

stinker 01 Apr 2018

If you're not already sorted the Lowa Stirling GTX Women's boots currently available on eBay in Size 3½ might be worth a look.

Bearing in mind how fast kids grow out of boots it's a decent spec full leather Gore-tex lined boot and at only £57.99 delivered they're not going to break the bank, The extra half size will allow for bit of growing room and could easily be taken up with an extra sock if needed. I'm pretty sure they would take a flexible crampon.

OP Andrew Wilson 01 Apr 2018
In reply to stinker:

Ah, we got fixed up already thanks. My eldest son got his first taste of winter climbing on Great End today. Brilliant weather and conditions made it a fantastic experience for him. He has a younger brother so it's not too painful when stuff no longer fits after little use, but it is a dear do kitting them out for this kind of thing at a young age!

Andy 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...