UKC

Fully windproof soft shell/fleece

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil Williams 26 Mar 2018

My old Berghaus Choktoi, an excellent fully windproof (Gore Windstopper) fleece is getting knackered and I was looking to buy a new one...but they don't exist any more!

Further to that, it seems that nobody actually does a fully windproof soft-shell or reasonably heavy fleece any more.  This is quite a shame as I find it regulates my body temperature just about perfectly in almost any weather provided I'm moving with just a T-shirt or similar underneath.

Does anyone know of any still on the market?

mcawle 26 Mar 2018
In reply to Neil Williams:

Mountain Equipment Vulcan is Windstopper: https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/vulcan-jacket

But I thought most soft shells were considered windproof?

OP Neil Williams 26 Mar 2018
In reply to mcawle:

I've got a soft shell as well which is quite good for running in temperatures of about 5 to 10 degrees (and casual wear), but it's quite thin fleece wise and it is definitely not fully windproof.  Most of them are advertised as wind resistant (due to the nylon top layer) which is not quite the same thing.

Cheers for the recommendation by the way.  Any others out there?

I've had a couple of Choktois and a Jack Wolfskin equivalent (also seemingly discontinued) - it's a shame they seem to have near vanished as a thing as I think they are really very good.

Post edited at 16:02
 nathan79 26 Mar 2018

There are a fair few membrane softshells out there. I've got a Mammut Ultimate Hoody (Gore windstopper) and a Montane Sabretooth. Montane's mainly for winter use due to warmth, the Mammut's more versatile and only stays in the wardobe during summer.

Good prices on the Mammut at the moment.

https://uk.mammut.com/p/1010-14900-4573/ultimate-hoody-men/

OP Neil Williams 26 Mar 2018
In reply to nathan79:

Cheers, those look good, particularly a Mammut at that price.

PPP 26 Mar 2018

Been pleasantly surprised with Montane Dyno Stretch jacket. Spent whole last weekend in it in winds strong enough to knock you over and it worked like a treat. 

I tend to run hot and had to dedicate ME Vulcan to urban duties. Montane Sabretooth is great, but I find it too warm in some cases. ME Squall has been my most favourite one and it’s getting warm enough for baselayer/Squall combo again (been up Tarnachan ridge yesterday with that combo). 

Just my 2p. 

marsbar 26 Mar 2018

I don't suppose you are small?  

https://www.nevisport.com/berghaus-mens-choktoi-windstopper-fleece-jacket?g...

I like windstopper fleece more than soft shell   I think it' a fashion thing that it's  not popular at the moment.

You could also look on a certain auction site beginning with e as there are some on there.  

Post edited at 18:37
OP Neil Williams 27 Mar 2018
In reply to marsbar:

Unfortunately quite the opposite of small 

Cheers all for the suggestions.

Post edited at 07:57
OP Neil Williams 28 Mar 2018
In reply to PPP:

Have ordered the Montane Sabretooth...I want a pretty warm one as in summer I have a regular non-windproof softshell that does the job nicely.

Thanks again all.

Post edited at 23:35
 mcawle 29 Mar 2018

> I've got a soft shell as well which is quite good for running in temperatures of about 5 to 10 degrees (and casual wear), but it's quite thin fleece wise and it is definitely not fully windproof.  Most of them are advertised as wind resistant (due to the nylon top layer) which is not quite the same thing.

Interesting, just double checked a couple of non-Windstopper ones, and you are right - not necessarily advertised as fully windproof.

Although the other one I have does seem to do a pretty decent job in the wind (another Mountain Equipment one using their "Exolite" soft shell).

Dell 29 Mar 2018

Alpkit Morphosis, seems to fit the requirements, the reviews on their site are positive. 

OP Neil Williams 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Dell:

Probably a bit less so, it refers to it as a layerable jacket so it is probably not as warm as I'm looking for (namely something that can be worn over a T-shirt in most non-wet weathers like the Choktoi can).

Post edited at 12:21
Lusk 29 Mar 2018

I've got one these: https://www.regatta.com/grove-fleece-black/

Amazingly windproof in all but -10degC windchill, and cheap.

Bob Kemp 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Lusk:

I've always thought of Regatta as being a bit rubbish quality-wise. I take it this isn't? That's a very good price at the moment.

Post edited at 12:48
 Dell 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> I've always thought of Regatta as being a bit rubbish quality-wise. I take it this isn't? That's a very good price at the moment.

Probably more of an image problem, due to being a budget brand. At the end of the day a fleece is a fleece, how terrible can it be? 

Lusk 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I've worn mine almost everyday for the last six months or so for almost everything, trudging across the moors in the wind and rain, chopping and sawing wood. building work etc etc (generally getting covered in crap) and it's been through the washing machine numerous times, and not a single stitch has come loose and the zip still works.
Might be starting to look a bit worn, but I didn't get it to wear for when I go and meet Queenie for my Knighthood.
If it lasts into next year, which I can't see any reason why not, for less than £30 (Go Outdoors), I'll be well happy.

Bob Kemp 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Dell:

You're probably right, but if I remember they were partly responsible - some of their early stuff was pretty poor quality. 

I remember talking to a guy who'd worked on product development for one of the budget brands, and he said that often the difference was in the design - paying designers less, cutting garments for simplicity rather than style and function, that kind of thing. And from my observation, inspection levels for faults so more faults get through. 

Bob Kemp 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Lusk:

Sounds like a good reference!

Lusk 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> Sounds like a good reference!

You're welcome, hope it helps for your next choice of jacket.

Regards
A J Lusk (Regatta product Marketing manager, 2000 - present)

Delete

In reply to Bob Kemp:

> and he said that often the difference was in the design

It is.

Regatta stuff isn't cut for climber use, or, indeed, very active use. The block patterns are rather traditional, based on standard suit blocks. Hence the arm raise is often terrible. And the cut is quite boxy, built for a larger frame than mine.

If you want cheap, and reasonably designed, get to Decathlon. Generally; even they have design gaffes now and then. Unfortunately, IIRC, their membraned soft shell jackets might be one of those gaffes...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m-windwarm-500-blk-jacket-id_8370292.html

Cap sleeves, and the armscye looks stretched even with fairly gentle arm raise in one of the photos.

Bob Kemp 29 Mar 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yes, I've got one or two Decathlon items - pretty impressive.

OP Neil Williams 30 Mar 2018
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I recently bought a day rucksack there for about £10 and it is really quite good.

I would love to know how they manage to sell decent stuff so cheaply.  Sure, it's probably made in a sweatshop, but so is more expensive kit other than that made by companies with a specific ethical policy who charge a lot more.

Post edited at 11:18
 Bob Kemp 30 Mar 2018

Well, this is Decathlon's spin on it - https://blog.decathlon.sg/2016/10/28/secrets-revealed-how-can-decathlon-pro...

Can't find much else about them. They don't do zero-hours contracts, they have a sustainability policy when many other sports companies don't. That's it. I suspect the full integration thing mentioned in the blog is a key element. 

Dave the Rave 30 Mar 2018

Several on fleebay.

In reply to Dave the Rave:

No XLs unfortunately, was the second place I looked after finding they were no longer on sale new.  I might keep my eye on it and buy one if it comes up anyway, then I've got one for later.

In reply to Bob Kemp:

> Yes, I've got one or two Decathlon items - pretty impressive

I have loads. Very happy with all of it, but I do pick my stuff carefully.

TobyA 30 Mar 2018

> it's probably made in a sweatshop, but so is more expensive kit other than that made by companies with a specific ethical policy who charge a lot more.

What evidence do you have that firms are using sweatshop labour? Who exactly? It's quite a serious claim to make - you might be correct - but I'd like to know which companies are guilty of this.

Windproof fleece was awful when it first came out because the membranes weren't very breathable and the fabrics were heavy and non flexi. It also struck me as a design for aesthetics/fashion because the fleece outside the membrane was pretty pointless besides making it look like fleece.

A modern membrane soft shell will be as breathable but work better as an outer layer I suspect.

Post edited at 14:25
Lusk 30 Mar 2018

> Regatta stuff isn't cut for climber use, or, indeed, very active use. The block patterns are rather traditional, based on standard suit blocks. Hence the arm raise is often terrible. And the cut is quite boxy, built for a larger frame than mine.

I can just see it in the logbooks:

A Crack, VS 4c:  DNF, couldn't do the move due to wearing badly cut cheap jacket.  Will return next week and send it in my Arc'teryx.

In reply to Lusk:

> Will return next week and send it in my Decathlon.

FTFY...

Bob Kemp 30 Mar 2018
In reply to Lusk:

Clothing can matter. I do remember as a youth having horrendous struggles in gritstone chimneys because of the obligatory hairy jumper of the time. 

Ian (Sherpa) Roper reckoned Allen Austin's legendary jumpers were specifically for coping with the kind of elephant's *rse top-outs you got at places like Brimham. 

Lusk 30 Mar 2018
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> Ian (Sherpa) Roper reckoned Allen Austin's legendary jumpers were specifically for coping with the kind of elephant's *rse top-outs you got at places like Brimham. 

I could've done with one of them.
When I started climbing, 1977, I always wore a suit/blazer type jacket, or the extremely breezy green Javlin jacket, and whatever trousers came to to hand in the morning and we were running up VSs every other day of the week.  Clothes had sod all effect on my crap climbing ability.

Talking of Allen Austin, we went down his to get kitted out for our first trip to the Alps, 78, we need mountain boots and crampons, here you go boys, probably the only ridged boots in the shop and the Salewa artic crampons with black straps.  Cheers Al, sorted.
Then, my wealthy mate ... I want a gortex jacket.  What colour do you want, red or blue?

Oh, life was so much simpler back then

In reply to TobyA:

> What evidence do you have that firms are using sweatshop labour? Who exactly? It's quite a serious claim to make - you might be correct - but I'd like to know which companies are guilty of this.

I don't mean child exploitation, I mean people making garments on the cheap in poor working conditions, which while not as bad as it was is usual for Far Eastern manufacturing of almost anything.

> Windproof fleece was awful when it first came out because the membranes weren't very breathable and the fabrics were heavy and non flexi.

I've had them for years and I am and long have been a big fan.

Bob Kemp 30 Mar 2018
In reply to TobyA:

I had an early windproof fleece and it was pretty rubbish much as you describe - sweaty and rigid. It also let water in far faster than the average fleece, especially around the shoulder seams for some reason. 

Dave the Rave 31 Mar 2018

There’s one on there now black xl

dr_botnik 31 Mar 2018

If by softshell you mean a pile and perfect combo (like buffalo) I quite like the marmot driclime. Bit thinner than buffalo/paramo gear, so good for 3 seasons. Worth getting one with a hood if you can, usually about 80 quid, but I recently got one brand new from America for £20, had to pay that again for shipping/taxes but well worth it. Lacks some features (the sleeves don't have fastenings and are quite tight so difficult to roll up) but I've found the material both windproof and breathable

Dell 03 Apr 2018

Back to Regatta, don't know if anyone saw the Everest documentary with Kenton Cool on channel 5 tonight. But one of the Sherpa's interviewed was wearing a Regatta jacket.

It's probably safe to assume that the Sherpa aren't as influenced by marketing and brand snobbery as we are in the West. 

In reply to Dell:

> It's probably safe to assume that the Sherpa aren't as influenced by marketing and brand snobbery as we are in the West. 

Decathlon is cheaper than Regatta.

Cheaper.

Better design.

Better materials.

What is snobbish about choosing cheaper and better?

Dell 04 Apr 2018

I didn't say there was anything wrong with Decathlon. 

In reply to Dell:

You suggested that not liking Regatta was down to snobbery.

Since I commented on the poor design of Regatta upthread, which invoked a comment about Arc'teryx, it's pretty clear that you and others think a dislike of Regatta is based on pure snobbery. In my case, it isnt. I just don't think it's very good; that's based on design and materials, not brand snobbery. It's okay, but I can buy stuff that is better and cheaper; a no-brainer.

If I were a brand snob, I'd wear expensive stuff like Arc'teryx. But I don't, because I don't think it's value for money, and it doesn't fit me; the only Arc product I own is my harness, bought because it fit me best of those I tried, and was on offer at the time.

OP Neil Williams 04 Apr 2018

> Decathlon is cheaper than Regatta.

> Cheaper.

> Better design.

> Better materials.

> What is snobbish about choosing cheaper and better?

Decathlon really do seem to achieve what you'd think was the unachievable, and be profitable while they are at it, too.  Very much the Aldi of sports equipment - own brand, cheap and still good quality.

I've been amazed by the quality of the £10 day rucksack I bought there a month or two ago - not just good quality but also some quite clever design elements.

Dell 04 Apr 2018

Your response is well suited to your name. 

Max Hangs 04 Apr 2018

> Decathlon really do seem to achieve what you'd think was the unachievable

> I've been amazed by the quality of the £10 day rucksack I bought there a month or two ago

I got a rucksack (apernaz i think) for £6 a couple of years ago and it's still mint despite daily use! Can't see it breaking any time soon either.

Not many features but it sounds like those can be had for an extra £4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...