UKC

Calling the French Alpine Club about insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JackM92 27 Mar 2018

After a skiing injury I need to call CAF about insurance, trouble is that neither of the phone numbers displayed on the membership card work in the UK. They were fine whilst in France.

Apologies if there’s an easy solution to this, but does anyone know the number to call from the UK?

jon 27 Mar 2018
In reply to JackM92:

This might sound stupid... but I assume you're adding 00 33 then knocking off the 0?

OP JackM92 27 Mar 2018
In reply to jon:

Just done that...I was being a muppet before. Stupid question!

Lucy Wallace 27 Mar 2018
In reply to JackM92:

Brilliant.  This made me smile.  

I'd be interested in hearing how the process goes though if you are willing to share.  I have CAF insurance and I'm a bit wary of French bureaucracy and wonder how it would go if I had to claim. 

OP JackM92 27 Mar 2018
In reply to Snoweider:

Flashing the card sorted everything with ski patrol rescue, couldn’t have been easier.

They pick up the phone really quickly once called, and most of their employees speak good English. However I was given 3 incorrect email addresses to send photos of medical bills to before finally getting the right one...then sent a form to complete which is entirely in French, understandably so but I don’t speak any.

Suspect that if you speak French the process could be very straightforward as insurance claims go.

Lucy Wallace 27 Mar 2018
In reply to JackM92:

Cool. My french is conversational but it's harder on the phone so pleased that they speak English. French forms are a nightmare.  I resort to Google Translate!  Good luck with getting it all sorted. Hope I don't ever need to use it. 

OP JackM92 28 Mar 2018
In reply to Snoweider:

BTW this is turning into an absolute nightmare - the NHS want a form that the CAF insurers have never heard of and I’m simply going backwards and forwards between the two of them. 

CAF reckon that the NHS have a form that they’ll fill in, the NHS have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about.

amy 20 Apr 2018
In reply to JackM92:

Good luck Jack!

We had a tough time climbing on CAF insurance too - we wanted to claim for a lost rucksack, but they insisted that we should have receipts for every single item in the rucksack. Tricky when you've bought lots of things second hand. We got some money back, but not the full amount.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...