UKC

VIDEO: Udo Neumann: Analysis of Modern Bouldering Competitions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 28 Mar 2018
Former German Bouldering Team coach, sports scientist and climbing author Udo Neumann has released an interesting video analysing the technical elements that determine success (or failure) in modern day bouldering competitions, using the recent Studio Bloc Masters near Frankfurt in Germany as study material. 

Neumann addresses the complexity of dynamic movement - 'crossing gaps' - that has changed with the advent of three dimensional volumes, which require greater consideration of directional forces and momentum.

Read more
 stp 28 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Interesting vid.

Has anyone seen Udo's video on Climbing Technique? I was wondering if it is worth watching?

simes303 28 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

That's not an analysis of anything. It's just a load of slow video clips and is quite possibly the most stupid and pretentious thing I've ever seen.

Derek Ryden 28 Mar 2018
In reply to simes303:

Agree. It sounds like it is going to be an in-depth analysis, but ends up saying nothing that isn't completely obvious. Plus the music sent me almost to sleep.

alx 28 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I don’t understand, this would have taken effort to make but does nothing?

Expectation: I was expecting something insightful, possibly a critique of methods and approaches leading to success.

Reality: Split screen footage with dry ambient techno-pop and no critical analysis.

Post edited at 19:40
pasbury 28 Mar 2018
In reply to All the grumpy gits:

I thought it was quite beautiful.

The moves you need to deal with these modern comp problems are amazing.

john arran 28 Mar 2018
In reply to pasbury:

I agree, and if kinaesthetic beauty was my expectation I would have appreciated it more. But it wasn't promoted as beautiful; it was promoted as analysis, and since I couldn't find any analysis whatsoever I was left disappointed.

Rad 28 Mar 2018

Udo's been making these side-by-side mashups with techno tunes for years. Why would you expect anything different here?

One of the best analyses I've seen of modern bouldering is this interview with him and others:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/2017_ifsc_competition_season_r...

pasbury 28 Mar 2018
In reply to john arran:

Perhaps you are expected to do your own analysis by comparing the different dynamics climbers use, and if they’re successful or not, by seeing them side by side. That’s the part I enjoyed.

Perhaps there could have been a voiceover saying ‘she fell off here because her centre of gravity wasn’t corrected soon enough etc etc’ I’d rather watch and learn.

one shortcoming was not being able to appreciate the angles properly from a static camera angle.

Post edited at 22:00
 john arran 28 Mar 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Possibly, and to some extent I agree you can deduce quite a bit from looking at the side by side images critically. But if I clicked on a link promising an analysis of market trends, and was presented only with raw data, I'd probably feel similarly short-changed.

pasbury 28 Mar 2018
In reply to john arran:

Then the problem is with the word analysis, which is not in the video anyway. 

john arran 29 Mar 2018
In reply to pasbury:

> Then the problem is with the word analysis, which is not in the video anyway. 

Agreed.

Toerag 29 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

>  Neumann addresses the complexity of dynamic movement - 'crossing gaps' - that has changed with the advent of three dimensional volumes, which require greater consideration of directional forces and momentum. 

Is Johnny Dawes missing out as a career as a routesetter?

Spanish Jack 29 Mar 2018
In reply to simes303:

The UKC headline is a little clickbait using too big words. But I enjoyed the video nonetheless.

richnoggan 30 Mar 2018
In reply to john arran:

Just because it doesn't have words, doesn't mean it's not analysis. It looks at difficult moves and compares climbers on them. Much like video analysis for rugby or football - they pull together relevant clips in a way that's useful. Someone might then talk through them or a team of coches discuss them etc.

1poundSOCKS 30 Mar 2018
In reply to richnoggan:

> Much like video analysis

> they pull together relevant clips in a way that's useful

That's the video.

> Someone might then talk through them or a team of coches discuss them etc.

That's the analysis.

Robert Durran 30 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I got bored after about a mintute

richnoggan 30 Mar 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I don't see that's the distinction. You can present analysis in different ways.... at work I might just provide some slides with graphs and tables on them. It's analysis whether I talk through/comment in writing or not.

1poundSOCKS 30 Mar 2018
In reply to richnoggan:

> at work I might just provide some slides with graphs and tables on them. It's analysis whether I talk through/comment in writing or not.

I wasn't being entirely serious, but the sporting analysis you mention refers to the people doing the talking.

Graphs and tables could show analysis, but I think we're trying to discuss the video presented here and getting sidetracked. And that video doesn't contain any graphs or tables. Aside from slowing down and pausing the action, the burden of analysis falls mostly on the viewer.

I really like the video BTW.

alx 30 Mar 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I really like the video BTW.

You should check out the live stream recording

richnoggan 30 Mar 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I think selecting bits of video and comparing bits of video cpounts as an analysis. I appear to be in a minority of one though, so I shall stfu now  

1poundSOCKS 31 Mar 2018
In reply to alx:

> You should check out the live stream recording

Think I saw some of it. Not sure I'm a huge fan of modern comp bouldering. I have watched a few more recently though, thinking about it. Maybe I'll become a convert.

I like the video here, I thought if I watched it a few times I'd learn something useful. The movement's more interesting than the competition aspect.

hms 31 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC News:

whilst I normally like these side by side comparisons, I thought the EpicTV compilation far more exciting:

https://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/studio-bloc-masters-finals-2018-%7C-cl...

1poundSOCKS 31 Mar 2018
In reply to hms:

> I thought the EpicTV compilation far more exciting:

Although if you're talking excitement, it's a bit like saying the red paint was more exciting to watch dry than the blue paint.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...