UKC

1st Peak District Bouldering Trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hodge75 30 Mar 2018

Still being very much a newbie but keen to get out when the better weather arrives I have booked a few day's in the Peak District. I figure between now and then it will be enough time to improve my basic skills on the indoor wall?

We have a very young daughter so needed some level of comfort and practicality so have booked this pod to base ourselves which looks pretty cool!

https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/England/Central/Derbyshire/Chesterfield/s...

We will be based near Ashover, Chesterfield which will give us good access to Birchen Edge and Amber Valley. I have no experience of these but going from the Rockfax Peak Bouldering guide it should offer us plenty of entry level bouldering.

I like the look of the Three Ships at Birchen Edge, looks like a good place to set up for a few hours with the family, enjoy some bouldering before heading off on a walk.

Be grateful of any thoughts, opinions......

Post edited at 09:45
 cragtyke 30 Mar 2018
In reply to Hodge75:

Cratcliffe top boulders and Robin Hood's Stride may suit you, plenty of lower grade problems with good landings and fairly child friendly. If you're bringing a dog please be aware of the need to keep it on the leash in some areas because of the ground nesting birds at this time of year.

In reply to Hodge75:

Second Cratcliffe and Robin Hood's Stride, they are good shout with kids

deepsoup 30 Mar 2018
In reply to Hodge75:

You would need to keep quite a close eye on the little one, but you might enjoy exploring Rowtor Rocks a bit.  (Just for family fun, poking around the cave, rooms etc..  The bouldering is mostly ludicrously hard.)

climber34neil 30 Mar 2018
In reply to Hodge75:

All previous suggestions are great and also quicker to get to from where you are staying, harborough rocks would also be worth a visit if you fancied some limestone as well as grit, also burbage south boulders could suit your needs as well

Hodge75 01 Apr 2018
In reply to Hodge75:

Thank you all for the replies and suggestion, really is appreciated! Will get my head in the book and have a look.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...