UKC

Can anyone recommend a good coach in Edinburgh?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Soulchaser01 30 Mar 2018

My partner has good natural technique but doesn't climb that hard and is looking to improve.

I'm looking for recommendations for a coach who could help her develop from a v4 / 6a+indoor climber to a v7 / 6c+ indoor climber over the next 12-18 months.

She's also running a lot right now so would be looking to start with a focus on movement and technique rather than a serious training program to begin with.

Any recommendations for a suitable coach would be awesome.

Cheers!

petegunn 30 Mar 2018
In reply to Soulchaser01:

Opening soon....

Eden Rock Edinburgh

Excellent coaches/staff and superb setting : )

Scott K 30 Mar 2018

Try Ratho. Iain Sneddon and Neill Busby are both excellent. 

CurlyStevo 30 Mar 2018

I would think most V4 boulders should be able to lead F6c with a bit of practice / training and you should aim for more if she gets to V7.

OP Soulchaser01 30 Mar 2018
In reply to Scott K:

Ratho used to list coaches on their site, but I can't find it since they revamped. Do you have any links or contact info?

The competition climbing kids are mainly using these coaches.  All are excellent.   

Mike Mullins - https://www.bigrigclimbing.com/

Rachel Carr  https://www.facebook.com/RachelCarrCoaching/

Neill Busby - Ratho

Iain Sneddon was mentioned in another message, definitely a great coach but not in Edinburgh any more AFAIK.

Robbie Philips http://www.robbiephillips.co.uk/ is also really good but travels about more than the others so probably less suitable if you are looking for a regular weekly lesson.

Post edited at 16:31
 BrendanO 30 Mar 2018

Also at Ratho is Vicki M, who runs a women's Coaching group - yr partner may like the cameraderie/vibe of a group, and V runs and is v yoga-y as well as being very encouraging.

Website is not the best, which is a shame; I'd always suggest a phone call, or best of all, pop in and chat to Reception, and ideally the coach you're after.

FWIW I went to a recent training lecture by Robbie Phillips at the Fort William Mountain Festival last month and was very impressed. Whether that translates to wider coaching expertise I don't know.

However, asking for recommendations online like this is pretty pointless. Most replies will be intrinsically worthless as they lack any capacity for meaningful comparison and the only people actually in a position to comment with authority won't as they are too professional to indirectly criticise anyone.

I've seen a very wide variation in coaching standards over the last few years. Generally I've been underwhelmed, but equally I've seen lots of satisfied clients, and since "the customer is always right" what do I know...

Any coach holding the Development Coach award is a good start but far more important is likely to be person rapport. An excellent relationship with a decent coach is likely to be more productive than a poor one with an excellent coach.

Finally, any coaching, especially if you haven't had any before, is likely to be productive.

Post edited at 15:08
 John Kettle 31 Mar 2018
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I'd second the recommendation for Mike Mullins of Big Rig climbing.

Scott K 01 Apr 2018
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I thought Rachel had moved to Sheffield.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...