UKC

Recommend me a Head Torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 01 Apr 2018

Can anyone recommend me a decent head torch?

Was out doing a bit of night navigation Friday and realised that my current head lamp (Petzl something or other) wasn't particularly bright.  Even with fresh batteries it only illuminated the ground about 3-5m in front of me (i'm sure it used to be a lot brighter, it is about 5 years old)

Going to relegate that lamp to use around camp and get something bright and powerful for night navigation work.

What is everyone else using and can anyone recommend a decent head torch.

Thanks

Post edited at 19:05
OP Alan M 01 Apr 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Cheers will check that out.  Just laughed when I seen the measured beam distance as 78m compared to my experience on Friday.  How the heck have I been finding my way around?

Post edited at 19:53
 Mark Kemball 01 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I've got the Black Diamond Storm - excellent lamp.

Tricadam 02 Apr 2018
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> I've got the Black Diamond Storm - excellent lamp.

A great feature is the way you can lock it so it doesn't switch itself on in your pocket/bag. Just make sure you've got something with you like a 5p coin along with the spare batteries in order to open the compartment. And the touch-to-brighten feature really works! 

StuDoig 02 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

A few really good lamps on the go.  I've a Petzl Nao+; a great lamp in many ways but expensive unless you find it in a sale etc.  Spare batteries available so never had a problem with running out on longer trips (1 week +).  Range on full whack is great, and the reactive element works well to preserve the battery and blind folk!  Machanical lockout to prevent accidental switching works well too.

I've used LED Lensers as well, and found them really good.  Pleny of power, disposable or rechargeable options and a large range.  H7.2 I've used.  Some nifty features on them.

https://www.ledlenser-store.co.uk/head-torches-c71/h7-2-led-head-torch-p962

Fenix also do some good torches, though not a well known hill walking brand I've used the HR20 that they used to produce (not available anymore unfortunately) and it was brilliant.  Powerful, good beam quality and decent battery life.  Waterproof too if that matters to you (kayaking etc).

Cheers,

Stu

SC33 02 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Led lenser head torches will do nicely ! They are brilliant !

Jon Greengrass 02 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

a 10 year old petzl tikka, my arms are short enough that I can still read a map even when it is set to low. When I turn it off there is usually enough starlight to see landmarks in the distance.

OP Alan M 02 Apr 2018
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> a 10 year old petzl tikka, my arms are short enough that I can still read a map even when it is set to low. When I turn it off there is usually enough starlight to see landmarks in the distance.

That name sounds familiar think mine might be that one, it is around (minimum) 5 years old. Mine has probably developed a fault hence why it not illuminating properly (tested again last night in the garden).  I agree about enough starlight (some nights) but late Friday was not one of them as a snow storm and high winds rolled in not long after getting back to my tent.

Fiona Reid 02 Apr 2018
In reply to SC33:

Agreed, I have an Led Lenser SEO7R which has a rechargeable battery but can also run on 3xAAA batteries which means you can carry a spare set if away from electricity etc.  Nice and bright with different brightness settings, plus red light and had a lock feature so you can't turn it on in your pack by mistake. I used it for my summer ML assessment and was very happy with it.

mp3ferret 03 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Perhaps the LED Lensers have changed a little since I've stopped buying them - but I have a box of half a dozen or so dead ones - all failed where the battery wire enters the lamp or the battery compartment.  Bloody good lamps - until they stop working.

I have a Black Diamond Storm which is great and seems pretty sturdy.

Marc

Post edited at 13:33
 Toerag 03 Apr 2018
In reply to mp3ferret:

>  all failed where the battery wire enters the lamp or the battery compartment.  

I had that on my old H7R - the design has since changed and has a stress reliever now. The design tweaks on the H7s show that LL do respond to customer demand. I currently run a non-rechargeable SEO-something as described above - it's very good and doesn't have a separate battery box at the expense of being a bit heavier in the main lamp.

OP Alan M 03 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I see the BD Storm crops up a few times so think I will give it ago.  (Well just about to order one).

Thanks.

asteclaru 03 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Black Diamond Icon. I have both the previous model (320 lumen) and the newer (500 lumen) and they're both excellent. 

Not cheap, but you can usually find decent deals on them

Takein 04 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I have the BD and actually don't like it.

When I adjust it's position on my head (eg. to move focus from/to near/far) I often inadvertently engage the touch-to-brighten and end up draining battery unnecessarily. I sometimes do this even when adjusting my hood. It's really annoying! Does anyone else have this issue?

I prefer a head torch that has one button and needs a definitive "press" not several points that only require "touch"

Steve Hayward 05 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I've had a Nitecore head torch for about 5 years.

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/hc50

It's the best I've found. Totally waterproof (I sea kayak with it too), phenominal battery life, easy to use big on/off button (works with mitts), superb beam width and depth. I usually only have it on the lowest setting (also has red light for night nav work). I took one of these on a kayak trip across Greece for 10 days, used it every night, got back and the battery was only half used. 

Downside: a bit heavy. Proprietary battery means you need their charger too, could be tricky for an extended expedition, but vape chargers are now more common place. I carry a spare battery that I've never needed! Bit bulky for running with, but I've done that ok too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...