UKC

Cala Magraner - Mallorca - Going solo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PeelDoor 02 Apr 2018

Hey guys !

I'm heading to Mallorca for a week in June and was hoping to have my first crack at some outdoor sport routes (I've been leading 6b+ indoors for while now, and have been told this a beautiful spot for beginners).

My only problem is that none of my friends climb

So if I'm doing this I'm doing it alone. With regards to the social aspect, is this the sort of place where people just rock up with kit and bribe would-be belayers with ice cream and beer?

If anyone has any advice for meeting partners in Mallorca then please hit me up.

Thanks !

In reply to PeelDoor:

You wont find any ice cream or beer down at Cala Magraner. Its a bit of a walk down to it. In June there probably will be a lot of people down there. Not sure about finding partners its normally a big mix of nationalities but if you get talking you might find someone. 

Iamgregp 03 Apr 2018
In reply to PeelDoor:

Just got back from Mallorca last night, and climbed at Cala Magrana on Friday.  It was a nice sunny day so there were loads of groups there,  I'd imagine if you head down there on a similar day in June you'll find enough people to help you out with a belay and vice versa. 

It might be worth posting a thread on here a couple of weeks before to see if you can make arrangements with some other climbers in advance.

OP PeelDoor 03 Apr 2018
In reply to Iamgregp:

Excellent Thank you for the advice. I'll post something here in mid-may. Worst case scenario i'll book a guided day just in case.

dbrooks 04 Apr 2018

partake in some of the extensive and excellent quality deep water soloing that Mallorca has to offer and you won't need anyone to hold your ropes

OP PeelDoor 04 Apr 2018

I've been looking at this to be honest. It looks incredible, and would totally solve the belaytionship issues. Just need to work on my swimming a bit

Jim 1003 06 Apr 2018
In reply to PeelDoor:

you would be better going to the Orange House in Spain or somewhere similar where lots of solo travellers go for climbing. Im actually going to Mallorca for 3 weeks on Sunday so I'll post if I see similar there, but doubt it.

Post edited at 12:02
 Sam Mayfield 06 Apr 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

Thanks for the mention, however we are well and truly closed to climbers in June due to the heat! Season open again Mid September.

I would imagine June might thin out the climbers there too. DWS just get your mates to watch you if you fall in and get into trouble. I personally wouldn't suggest dws alone!

Sam Orange House 

Post edited at 14:20
 Jim 1003 10 Apr 2018
In reply to PeelDoor:

I would give Mallorca a miss, a lot of the easier routes are seriously under graded, not a good place for a beginner....

silhouette 11 Apr 2018
In reply to PeelDoor: I love Mallorca. There is a fair number of easy routes at S'Estret, Formentor peninsula and elsewhere. You can find shade if you move around a bit. But I'm sceptical that you'll find partners on spec especially as you are a novice. I'd be really cautious about DWS alone until you are familiar with it.

Jim 1003 20 Apr 2018
In reply to PeelDoor:

The other thing to remember as well as serious under grading, is spaced bolts, not good for starting out on rock.

TobiAuth 20 Apr 2018

Additionaly Cala Magraner is getting sun all day. Way too hot for June. Maybe try S'estret.

I went to Mallorca alone three weeks ago. Luckily I found a perfect partner on thecrag.com. But I'd be optimistic that you could find people just going to crags on the island.

krikoman 20 Apr 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

> The other thing to remember as well as serious under grading, is spaced bolts, not good for starting out on rock.

I didn't find Majorca under graded to be honest, it snowed when we were there, the first snow they'd had in yonks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...