UKC

BMC North West Area Meeting: 16 April, Belmont

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Team BMC 04 Apr 2018

Come along to our next gathering of North West climbers and walkers and get involved in the BMC.

Date: Monday 16 April 2018, starting at 7.30pm
Venue: Black Dog, Belmont, BL7 8AB

The meeting will include further discussion of the independent organisational review. National Council has established a working group to develop proposals for implementing the review group’s recommendations, and these proposals will be published prior to the meeting, which will offer an important opportunity for members to provide feedback and influence the final version of the proposals, to be presented to members for approval at the BMC AGM on 16 June.

All are welcome; food will be provided by the BMC.

See the BMC Local Areas site for more details: http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=3952

Andy Say 06 Apr 2018
In reply to Team BMC:

Hi all.  Interesting times!  I will be circulating minutes and agenda and an update report to those whose contact details I have tomorrow.  For those who will be coming along, or thinking about it, the main issues which we need comment and feedback from Area members are: the prosed new Memorandum and Articles setting out a new governance structure for the BMC along with changed relationships between Areas/National Council/Board.  The prospect of electronic voting at future AGM's.  A change to the requirements for putting a motion to the AGM/EGM (raised from 25 to 100 signatories).  Acceptance of the requirements of Sport England to remove powers from National Council.

I'd also like to spend a little time talking about how we increase involvement in the NW Area meetings - one of the frequent criticisms levelled is that BMC Areas are not really representative.  It would be good to try to address that once the next AGM is gone.

Andy Say 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Team BMC:

Hi all. Sorry to let you know like this but I'm away and just have a phone (email update to follow when I can) the. We've just been requested to consider a subscription increase for voting on at the AGM so we need to add that to the Agenda.

Cheers,. Andy

JR 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

Can you add the agenda/documents you're sending round to email contacts to the public BMC NW Local Area meeting event page (via Tony Ryan if you can't do it from your phone): http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=3952

Paul Evans 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

Andy

Very good point about increasing involvement, I share the concerns, and totally agree this is something we should address. I think it falls into 3 areas -

1. Where we hold the meetings. I know it's both geographically more of a midpoint, and traditional, but in these times holding meetings in a tiny village like Belmont and ignoring the major cities of the NW is really not helping ourselves. 

2. Notifying people in advance of key / contentious issues. e.g. agreeing bolt policy at a meeting attended by a tiny number of people, when we know it's likely of interest to a much wider number, and not telling the wider group that the debate is even happening, should not happen. We have UKC, the BMC site, our local clubs websites, and Facebook LRR group (and probably other channels I have not thought of) - we can make much better use of them.

3. Introducing at least some online surveys, or ideally proxy voting for those unable to attend, would really help us engage with the wider community. It would make us think twice if a small group at a lightly attended meeting were proposing to vote for something, which they knew from an online survey  the vast majority of members in the area were opposed to. 

There are two major benefits to be had here - we can inform the wider community of the valuable work that is done, and we can get their input on the issues they care about. 

Hope this helps, see you Monday.

Paul

Tom Green 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Team BMC:

Any one fancy a climb before hand?

Trad (up to E1) or bouldering. Don’t mind what or where. 

Andy Say 11 Apr 2018
In reply to JR:

JR - Agenda and minutes now uploaded to BMC Area page.  All ither docs are accessible via a news item on main BMC site. Thanks for the nudge!

Andy

Andy Say 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Paul Evans:

Paul - following meeting planned for Manchester Climbing Centre.

At least I'm using UKC but you are right: could use Facebook group better.

Post votes and proxies for Areas is something I've wondered about myself. The worry could be we really don't have ''anti-fraud' capability - but worth looking at.

Andy

Paul Evans 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

Nice one Andy.

Andy Say 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Team BMC:

My thanks to all who turned out last night; especially to our 'Southern Friends' who came up from Peak Area to take part.  Good debate I felt; and it is obvious that there is no major 'boredom threshold' that has been crossed.....yet!

I'll circulate information and feedback links directly to you all, and minutes when I've worked out what to put....my thanks to others for recording the voting. 

Next meeting will be to report back on the Proposal that National Council is to put to the AGM and garner feedback but it will be largely business as usual; see you at MCC!

And a new President from the NW in the offing  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...