UKC

Climbing/outdoor trousers for cyclists legs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi, I’m new to climbing but not sports in general. I have done a lot of cycling and weights in the past, which means my legs are big in comparison to my waist size.

Looking to get outdoors with a club rather than just practicing at the local wall. Any recommendations for outdoor/climbing trousers for those with chunky legs?

I’ve got a 32-33 inch waist and had to get a medium DMM renegade harness to fit. Tried on the outdoor trousers in decathlon, no joy as they were far too small even going up sizes.

Siward 19 Apr 2018
In reply to Northern_Monkey:

I can't give you any specific recommendations I'm afraid, but I'd investigate American brands rather than skinny European stuff. Yankees aren't known for their stick like legs. Patagonia?

TobyA 19 Apr 2018

I'm similar, Decathlon isn't great for my legs, too skinny. ImI not massive round the waist but often wear 34 jeans too get them over my thighs and bum. I've got Patagonia, Marmot and Haglof troos from down the years. They're all ok.

IPPurewater 19 Apr 2018

I use various Craghoppers trousers for the same reason - large cyclist's legs. Do you have a Go Outdoors or similar store near you ? They usually stock a good selection you can try on.

benp1 19 Apr 2018

Cycling is my main hobby and I've generally found Haglofs troos to be good (I have 4 pairs). I'm tall as well and their long length is good

Prof. Outdoors 19 Apr 2018

I am a fellow cyclist and ex-runner and I find that Decathlon trousers are excellent value but I find I have to size up to get them to fit me.

Craghoppers used to be good. Unfortunately they are very tight around the crotch area and restrict movement. Wish I could boast that was down to my "physique" but actually the cut is OK for walking but very poor for climbing. Their quality has also gone caving!

Mountain Equipment seem to fit me well and I have a pair of North Face Paramount which seem larger on the legs relative to the waist size. 

I didn't worry about branded names. I climbed in a pair from Primark for years and I do have a mate who climbs in Ron Hill Tracksters. (His wife is thinking about divorce)

Hope you find a pair that fit.

Cheers for all the replies, I will give the brands suggested a go. I’m in London so will try and stop by a few brick and mortar stores and the Mile End wall shop, there are a few Ellis Brighams and Cotswold outdoors around as well so fingers crossed I can find something.

mutt 19 Apr 2018

as far as harnesses go you should look at mountaineering harnesses as they have adjustable leg loops to that fully open to allow putting them on whilst in crampons.

Trousers - as long as they are loose then any will do, perhaps tracksuit will work. Alternatively colourful Lycra is perpetually fashionable on Gritstone and I'm sure you are well used to wearing lycra whilst cycling...

And for the record, my climbing grade went up two french levels when I gave up endurance cycling, heavy legs aren't good for climbing at all.

Dave the Rave 19 Apr 2018

Fjalleaven barents pro. I cycled in these last night and the articulation at the knees was great. Very hard wearing.

In reply to mutt:

Fair point on the Lycra wearing! Just looking for something with pockets etc. so they work better when I’m not climbing as I find it annoying off the bike.

In terms of your grades improving, are you sure having more time for climbing didn’t help out a bit as well?

mutt 19 Apr 2018

> In terms of your grades improving, are you sure having more time for climbing didn’t help out a bit as well?

grade had pretty much topped out for a few years and then jumped, but I guess cycling 100 miles a week takes some of the energy so maybe I just had a bit more energy for reaching higher and holding on longer. Definitely not having more time to climb though - routine stayed the same, cycling time got used up caring for children. I'm coming out the other end of that now and spending more time on my bike than I have in a few years

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...