UKC

NEWS: Mark Vallance dies aged 72

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 23 Apr 2018
Climber and entrepreneur Mark Vallance has died aged 72 following a long battle with Parkinson's disease, according to a report from the Climber's Club. Mark was a highly influential figure in the climbing industry who will be remembered for his many contributions to the sport's development, perhaps most notably for bringing Friends - also known as cams - to market.

Read more
 Andy Say 23 Apr 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Oh no.  Such sad news.  Mark was a true gent and kept going through his long illness with grace and humour.  Always a smile and a twinkle in the eye.

His book is a must read for anyone interested in the warmth, humanity and insight of the guy.

I'll miss him and many, many others will too.

Post edited at 11:46
 leon 1 23 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Say: Nicely put. He was indeed a lovely man.

Mark Kemball 23 Apr 2018
In reply to UKC News:

An early thread withsome memories of Mark. https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/mark_vallance_rip-683455

In reply to UKC News:

Met him only once in a hut; very friendly and open man. RIP.

jcm

petemeads 23 Apr 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Sorry to hear this, I knew he was not well but not how ill he was.

The first climb we did together was Variety Show in the Great Zawn when that was right on my limit for leading. A perfect climb, one of my fondest memories, and a beautiful sunset as we relaxed at the top.

The last climb we did together was Waverley Wafer on the Cookie, in 1977 whilst he was in Yosemite meeting with Ray Jardine. Not that Mark would admit what he was up to with Friends...  Fortunately he lead, I really struggled following and was very impressed by his ability and confidence that day.

A great loss to the community, a true gent.

Pete O'Donovan 23 Apr 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad news.

R.I.P. Mark — honoured to have known you, climbed with you and worked with you.

Pete.

Gary Gibson 23 Apr 2018
In reply to UKC News:sad news about a true gentleman, an honour to have known him. My deepest condolences to his family.

johncook 24 Apr 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Sad sad news! My condolences to his family and friends.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...