UKC

UK family climbing holiday destinations please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PhilWS 25 Apr 2018

Hi, Looking for UKC suggestions for a suitable destination in the UK for a family summer climbing holiday.

I lucky in that all the family (including two children of 10 and 8) climb to some extent. I'm after some suggestions for a suitable venue for us to spend a week climbing / walking.

We will be taking the caravan as a base, so ideally Wye/Dartmoor sort of distance or Portland/Swanage as we are based in Sussex, but would consider further if suggested. We are quite strange in that we are not into busy/crowded places so if possible that would be a consideration. 

I'm happy climbing to VS, and am trying to get comfortable at HVS  ( or 6a sport ) in order to place top ropes (sorry) for the girls.... as long as the routes are then enjoyable. Would consider bouldering as well as have recently gained a couple of pads.

Any other advantages such as something else to do in the predictable UK summer weather would be great. 

Thanks in advance 

Phil

GrahamD 25 Apr 2018
In reply to PhilWS:

I would suggest that the best options are probably a bit further afield: West Penwith, the Gower or Pembrokeshire.  All great family holiday spots.

OP PhilWS 25 Apr 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

Thanks for that.

I had wondered about Cornwall but don't know it at all. The same goes for the Gower so suggestions would be appreciated.

Whilst I love Pembroke, my main concerns were the abs in with the children. I'll get my guide out later, but trying to remember routes with easy/non-tidal access.

GrahamD 25 Apr 2018
In reply to PhilWS:

If you get the definitive guides there are loads of places at Pembroke without abseils, and that's ignoring all the bouldering possibilities over many of the beaches.

OP PhilWS 25 Apr 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

Thanks. It's over 12 years since I was there! I'll take another look.

OP PhilWS 29 Apr 2018
In reply to PhilWS:

Just a little bump in case anyone has any more suggestions.....

Thanks

Matt Podd 29 Apr 2018
In reply to PhilWS:

North Pembrokeshire, North Devon and Mid Wales as a wild card.

summo 29 Apr 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

> I would suggest that the best options are probably a bit further afield: West Penwith, the Gower or Pembrokeshire.  All great family holiday spots.

Exactly. With a midday tide what child wouldn't enjoy a day climbing and playing at 3 cliffs. 

OP PhilWS 29 Apr 2018
In reply to Matt Podd:

Thanks for that.  Just wondered if you had any specific recommendations in those areas as I've not visited any of them before. 

OP PhilWS 29 Apr 2018
In reply to summo:

Just looked at Three Cliffs.  That looks fantastic. Thanks. 

Rog Wilko 29 Apr 2018
In reply to PhilWS:

My first thought too was Gower. Lots of climbing off the beach. Little Tor another great family crag.

No match for crag id:9085

Sadly, I don't think you'll find Gower quiet, especially in school holidays, and the campsites tend to be pretty expensive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...