UKC

Smallish cheap to run and insure cars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 25 Apr 2018

Hi folks,

hope you are all good.

Heading back to the UK from the US this July and I'm looking for recommendations for a small/medium car.

Has to be 5 doors, for easy access for the kids and so far we've been looking at Mazda2, Citroen C3, Peugeot 208, VW Polo, Kia Rio and the Fiesta. I don't really like the Fiesta or the Polo.....

We have had Peugeot 107's and Toyota Aygo's in the past but would like just a wee bit more room.

Any views on any of the above or other recommendations? It will be second hand, budget 2-3k and so far I've found a 2009 C3, FSH, 45000 miles for £2500 which is the sort of thing  I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Den

The New NickB 25 Apr 2018
In reply to Denni:

The reliability indexes are all over the place, so don't help much. A few general thoughts: Shame you don't like the Fiesta, reliable, good value second hand, cheap to fix if they do go wrong. Polo is more expensive, less reliable and more expensive to fix, I don't think they are worth the premium these days. I find the C3 pretty hateful, but generally think French cars out of warranty are a bit of a risk. My mother-in-law has a Masda2, I don't like it to drive, but that may just be me, carries the Japanese reliability premium, but I'm not sure they as reliable as some other Japanese cars, feels quite small. No experience of the Kia.

Blue Straggler 25 Apr 2018
In reply to Denni:

No experience of the Rio but I had a Cee’d for about 16 months and really liked it. I actually think the Rio is a nicer looking car. When I bought my Cee’d in late 2014 it was 5 years old with 44k on the clock and cost me £3500. The remainder of the 7 year warranty was transferred with sale and I did mildly benefit from this during a service when they decided to re-weld the aircon box for me.

Personally I would have a look at a Rio if I wanted that size of car.

Dax H 25 Apr 2018
In reply to Denni:

I got the Mrs a second hand Toyota Yaris 6 years ago, it's 11 years old now and other than the air conditioning pump failing and the exhaust rotting through its cost us nothing but servicing and service items like tyres and brakes.

Edited to add, the gearbox went tits up at 80k but it was only £300 for a second hand box fitted. 

Post edited at 19:28
In reply to Denni:

We have a Honda Jazz (our second) and it is a real space wagon for its size. Been around for a while so S/H versions easy to find. Reliable, economical and cheap to insure. Worth a look, just forget the image of an old folks car.

Post edited at 19:44
 Glyno 25 Apr 2018
In reply to Denni:

Skoda Fabia? 

nniff 25 Apr 2018
In reply to Denni:

I had a Totota Yaris for many years - It did 180,000 miles at about 30,000 miles a year.  In all that time it had: - new brake discs and pads (twice), light bulbs,  tyres, a service every 10,000 miles at about £110-£150 a go, some windscreen wipers, screenwash and petrol at a rate of 42mpg.  And that's it.

The rear seats go completely flat and there's an extra storage box under the boot floor.  A bike will go in the boot in one piece if the passenger seat is moved forward a bit, or with the front wheel off if the seat stays where it is.  It has a spare tyre and a jack.

I'd happily have another one, and might well do as I'm back into the world of longish commutes again.

Tony Jones 25 Apr 2018
In reply to Glyno:

Be careful with the three cylinder engines in the Fabia (and the Polo). They are somewhat prone to eating their own timing chains; an event which could leave you with a repair bill equal to, or more than, the value of the car.

gethin_allen 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Denni:

The Hyundai i30 seems pretty good and is worth a look in my experience.

I'd avoid the c3 and the 208.

The New NickB 26 Apr 2018
In reply to gethin_allen:

Isn’t the i30 a little larger than the OP is looking for, more Astra, Focus, Golf sized.

gethin_allen 26 Apr 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

> Isn’t the i30 a little larger than the OP is looking for, more Astra, Focus, Golf sized.

Maybe, but not a lot, and it does say small to medium. 

Trangia 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Denni:

Plus 1 for the Rio. No experience of more recent models, but I owned one in Spain 5 years ago and really liked it. Surprisingly roomy for a smallish car, economic, reliable (the fact that the manufacturers were prepared to sell it with a 7 year warranty says something about build quality) and nice to drive with lots of umph. Drove it back to the UK with 4 adults and light luggage from the south of Spain in one go, returning a month later, cruising on the Motorways at 120 - 130 kph with no problems at all.

Blue Straggler 26 Apr 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

> Isn’t the i30 a little larger than the OP is looking for, more Astra, Focus, Golf sized.

Isn’t the i30 basically a Rio, a car mentioned in the OP? 

Edit - oops that’s the i20, sorry

Post edited at 18:13
 drsdave 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Denni:

Fiat panda

Ridge 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> No experience of the Rio but I had a Cee’d for about 16 months and really liked it. I actually think the Rio is a nicer looking car. When I bought my Cee’d in late 2014 it was 5 years old with 44k on the clock and cost me £3500. The remainder of the 7 year warranty was transferred with sale and I did mildly benefit from this during a service when they decided to re-weld the aircon box for me.

> Personally I would have a look at a Rio if I wanted that size of car.

I've had a Ceed (59 plate) for the past 7 years. It had £7k on the clock when I bought it, now up tp about 140k. Still on the original battery (its a stop-start diesel), clutch and gear box. Had some suspension work (drop link and worn bushes) done at 88k under warranty. Just had one worn drop link changed, now on it's third set of discs though. No sign of corrosion despite living on the coast and it having a permanent coating of cowshit on the bottom and up the sides

Incredibly reliable, only issue is you need to change the fuel filter annually as Kia diesel filters seem prone to blocking at low temperatures.

I tried a Rio but it didn't feel as solid as the Ceed, although the newer Rios seem a lot better put together.

Post edited at 22:33
 sleavesley 27 Apr 2018
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> We have a Honda Jazz (our second) and it is a real space wagon for its size. Been around for a while so S/H versions easy to find. Reliable, economical and cheap to insure. Worth a look, just forget the image of an old folks car.

^^^^^

This.

So far I have convinced two of my co-workers to have a Jazz as well for commuting. Good cheap reliable motoring. We all have the 1.4 engine.

i have so far replaced brakes and tyres as well as usual servicing. 

Usually find low mileage examples with full service history that were run by older folks.

2008 and newer models are the ones to go for. Siri’s a good balance of model. EX is top of the range.

In reply to sleavesley:

'Usually find low mileage examples with full service history that were run by older folks.'

Both of ours were just that - 3yrs old and less than 10k on the clock. Current one is 1.4 Si with Cruise Control which is brilliant.

Ian W 27 Apr 2018
In reply to gethin_allen:

It is, but if it is too big, look at the i20. Theres really nothing in it once you are behind the wheel. The current Mrs W had one, it did 75k in 5 years, cost us nothing beyond servicing (front tyres lasted 45k, rears 65k). It was basic as hell, but did exactly what it said on the tin.

OP Denni 04 May 2018
In reply to all:

Hi folks,

many thanks for all the answers and advice and apologies for my tardy reply. Been too busy enjoying travelling and soaking up the US sunshine!

Good call on the Jazz. I drove one here, they are called "Fit" and was suitably impressed with most things about it. Overriding point for us here is function over fashion!

Any more for any more?

Thanks, Den 

marsbar 04 May 2018
In reply to Denni:

Corsa?  Had one as hire car and quite liked it.  Any particular reason for going for something small?  

More-On 04 May 2018
In reply to Denni:

Have a look at a Dacia Sandero. Certainly gives function over fashion.

I've got a Logan, which is the estate version and really rate it. Cheap and with a massive boot. It drives as well as the competition, yet cost half as much.

Big Ger 04 May 2018
In reply to Denni:

We've got a Renault Modus as a runabout, and are very happy with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Modus

Only problem is the back seats don't come out to give a big boot space, they just fold up, and not very well at that.

1600cc engine and auto gear box. perfect for driving in Kernow.

Deadeye 04 May 2018
In reply to Denni:

Yaris

Flinticus 06 May 2018
In reply to Denni:

Jazz as well. 

Will get another when the time comes.

Spacious for model. Reliable.

Neil Williams 06 May 2018
In reply to More-On:

> I've got a Logan, which is the estate version and really rate it. Cheap and with a massive boot. It drives as well as the competition, yet cost half as much.

I'd seriously consider one of those were it not for the fact that they won't offer the 7 seat version in the UK despite it being the norm in mainland Europe.

marsbar 06 May 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

A friend’s wife had one.  He referred to it as the Renault washing machine.  I had one as a courtesy car for a couple of days, the steering was about as responsive as a sponge cake.  Your mileage obviously varies, I wouldn’t have one for free.

tom84 07 May 2018
In reply to Denni:

yeah +1 more for the jazz!

Ian W 07 May 2018
In reply to Denni:

Thought of another; Nissan Note. GB made, reliable, spacious. Clever back seat arrangement. Utterly uninspiring in every other way (but it never pretended to be otherwise).

aln 08 May 2018
In reply to Ian W:

> Nissan Note. GB made, reliable, spacious. Clever back seat arrangement.

What's clever about it? 

Ian W 08 May 2018
In reply to aln:

Whole thing slides back and forth very easily to either increase boot space or rear space. With it back there's huge rear passenger legroom, with it forward there's a very large luggage space, and easily enough room for kids. As well as usual folding up malarkey.

Tom Valentine 08 May 2018
In reply to Tony Jones:

Petrol or diesel?

In reply to Denni:

I use a Hyundai ix20 for going to work.  Cheap to buy, run and insure.  Never had any issues with mine.

aln 11 May 2018
In reply to Ian W:

Sounds great. 

Pekkie 12 May 2018
In reply to Deadeye: Another vote for the Yaris. And the Auris. My entire extended family now have one or the other - apart from the lucky few who have company cars.

Flashy 13 May 2018
In reply to sleavesley:

Another vote for the Jazz. Mine is 15 years old now with 150k, only just starting to show a bit of rust. V reliable, economical and as everyone says really cleverly laid out inside. An estate inside a hatchback; I lived in the back for a week in relative comfort (i.e. I could lie flat and could have my climbing gear in there with me). I can put two bikes easily in the back, three if you take the front wheels (of the bikes) off. Amazing car.

richnoggan 14 May 2018
In reply to Denni:

Honda Jazz. Super reliable, nice to drive.

Deceptively roomy too, get a couple of bikes in the back no bother. Or even sleep in the back if you;re shortr.

balmybaldwin 14 May 2018
In reply to Denni:

Stay away from Ford - strangely high insurance groups (I think it's the young driver factor)

Have a look at Aygo - might be a bit small, but cheap as chips to run and insure

aln 16 May 2018
In reply to aln:

> What's clever about it? 

Two dislikes? I asked a straight question. Are the dislikes from idiots, personal dislikes from people who don't like me, or bots? 

Ian W 16 May 2018
In reply to aln:

> Two dislikes? I asked a straight question. Are the dislikes from idiots, personal dislikes from people who don't like me, or bots? 

At least i didnt get any dislikes to my reply..........yet.......

d_b 17 May 2018
In reply to Glyno:

I have had a fabia for about 7 years.  Only complaint is that it seems to get through ABS sensors at quite a rate.  I have no idea why nut they are constantly failing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...