UKC

Snowdon Walk, snow at summit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
barnesy1977 25 Apr 2018

Hello there, 

I'm looking some advice and opinions from experienced walkers of Snowdon.

4 of us (quite fit 40-something men) are planing on walking up Snowdon on Friday. Although we are all quite fit and capable, do regular exercise and are in 'perfect working order', none of us have any real walking/hiking experience (at least not for many years anyway).

I've been looking at weather on Friday, and it is due to rain with temp of 6c at the base. However, the met office shows the weather at the summit as -2 with heavy snow and very poor visibility.

We were planning on taking the Llanberis path up and either the same down or the Ranger. 

However, given the weather, should we most definitely be leaving it until another time, or is the heavy snow likely to be just at the very top and mostly not settling at this time of year thus just creating just a bit of a challenge? We're not scared of a challenge, but at the same time, we aren't experienced walkers, we don't have walking equipment for snow/ice etc, and we're not familiar with the scale of conditions that could be there at this time of year given the weather.

Any friendly advice or opinions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

David

RuthW 26 Apr 2018
In reply to barnesy1977:

It sounds like it will be a pretty miserable day. I was out last weekend in fairly similar weather and forgot waterproof trousers. Spent most of the day soaked to the skin and freezing cold. Couldn't stop as was too cold and the visibility was very poor too so I was lucky I knew the route from before.

I guess it depends on what clothing you have. You would need good waterproofs as well as warm base and mid layers....or it can feel a bit desperate.  

With the poor visability people have ended up heading off the summit in the wrong direction in the past also....ending up somewhere like Crib Goch in error. I have also met people that came down the Rangers in error on a bright sunny day and did not realise they were not in llanberis until they hit the road.

Even if the snow does not settle it may make it very slippy underfoot.

Having said that....sometimes it is good fun to battle the elements. You just need to be well prepared and equippd....it could equally put you off the mountains for life!

Dogwatch 26 Apr 2018
In reply to barnesy1977:

Looks like a fairly vile day to be in the hills. You are not going to see much and it may be icy. It doesn't sound like your group has the equipment or experience for ice or for navigation in poor visibility. Personally I'd leave it for another time.

Mark Haward 26 Apr 2018
In reply to barnesy1977:

Here are three possible options:

1) You play safe and wait for a better day / forecast      

Absolutely valid to play safe

2) You go ahead with your walk regardless                          

In my opinion a less safe option but you might get lucky

3) You go ahead with a walk but make a judgement according to the weather and conditions you meet on the day.

This may mean planning and doing an easily navigable lower level walk if the weather / conditions are not good for Snowdon / your party. Or it could mean going ahead with the Llanberis Path route but making a judgement as you go ( depending on weather / conditions / condition of the party members ) as to whether / when you should turn around and retrace your steps.

The weather does not always match the forecast; it may be better, worse or the timing may be different. I also notice the forecast at the moment is to improve as the morning goes on and that the snow is only forecast at a very high level on the mountain. It may not snow, snow may be little and wet and may melt fast.

This third option will help you gain knowledge and experience, but does come with the proviso that you have the equipment required as Ruth pointed out such as waterproof jacket, trousers a map and possibly compass with the knowledge and skills of how to use them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...