UKC

Gorges du Tarn biting insects

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DDDD 26 Apr 2018

Everyone appears to be getting these itchy little blisters on their skin from what I can only presume is from biting insects. We can't see any in the air though. Anybody come across this before and know what it is?

ChrisJD 26 Apr 2018
In reply to DDDD:

Sounds like it could be processionary caterpillars

Their fine hairs in dust cause this - I've had really bad effects from them mountain biking in N Spain.

Go to a local chemist and ask.  Antihistamines help.

The 'nests' are easy to spot in pine trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_processionary

Post edited at 08:11
 John Ww 26 Apr 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

Very cute and furry to look at, bloody evil to come into contact with!

jon 26 Apr 2018
In reply to DDDD:

Have you come into contact with plants that can cause this? Specifically La Rue which is reasonably common in th south. Google 'La Rue plant blisters' (I don't know how to post links from my iPad... )

HosteDenis 26 Apr 2018
In reply to DDDD:

It's definitely the caterpillars, I've been to the Tarn lots the last two years and there's loads of them. 

OP DDDD 26 Apr 2018
In reply to DDDD:

Thanks all for replying. I think that the fine hairs in the air is the most likely. Just this is the first year I've seen it.

jwi 26 Apr 2018
In reply to DDDD:

Yes, ChrisJD and HosteDenis are correct. There was a horrible infection of pine processionary in Gorge du Tarn last autumn. We hoped for a really cold winter to kill them off. The caterpillar's hair is venomous and causes the rashes. Pay attention to where you put the rope, and if you have a dog make sure that it doesn't try to lick a caterpillar (dog's have died from this when their tongue swell enough to close of breathing).

Wimlands 26 Apr 2018
In reply to jwi:

Don't do what I did....

Finish climb, T shirt off, laid out on the grass to dry, put back on dry T shirt now with grass side of the shirt next to skin....

and wake up up the next day wondering why I'm covered in bites/rash.

That was at  Swanage...

OP DDDD 28 Apr 2018
In reply to DDDD:

Update:

I got a large reaction and came out with blisters all over my body and I got to feel quite sick. We're having to run away today in case I get worse. From what I now know, the effects can be very serious and people have been hospitalised.

Wft 28 Apr 2018
In reply to DDDD:

Hope you feel better soon. Had all over body rash from them a few weeks ago. 

John Ww 28 Apr 2018
In reply to DDDD:

Well don’t run away to London - the bastards are there too (BBC News website).

jon 28 Apr 2018
In reply to DDDD:

You might want to get yourself checked out. Any pharmacie is a good start to get advice and won't cost you anything.

ChrisJD 28 Apr 2018
In reply to John Ww:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43930702

Blimey:

"... each caterpillar has about 62,000 hairs, which they can eject. Hairs that fall to the ground can be active for up to five years..."

"It is thought that the moths were brought into the UK on trees imported from Europe for a landscape project".

We got the rash mountain biking in N Spain and had to take antihistamines. The local chemist/pharmacist was great - like a GP.

John2 28 Apr 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

"It is thought that the moths were brought into the UK on trees imported from Europe for a landscape project".

Brexit it the only answer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...