UKC

Replacing a TNF duffle bag with ?????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 artif 28 Apr 2018

Time to retire my trusted old  (15 years plus) North Face duffle bags medium and large. 

They've had a good but hard life and are now falling to bits, material de-laminating etc.

Current options are-

Replace like for like, are the newer versions as tough as the old ones (they don't look or feel as good).

Fjallraven Duffle no.6 large, is close to perfect but the G1000 material is a little lightweight for my liking

Ortlieb duffles look good but the straight zip gives me concern, the NF U shaped zip allows good access.

Filson duffle I prefer the canvas and leather style but with no rucksack straps and they're fitted with wheels (been tripped up too many times by wheeled luggage toting tourists).

DIY/Custom,  make/have made a bespoke heavy duty canvas bag, time/money permitting (any suggestion as to who would might make such an item) a similar bag to the Fjallraven duffel of better material would be perfect.

Not liking the Arcteryx or other "modern" looking versions.

Any other suggestions?

Must have - rucksack straps, carry handles, good access, tough material

Prefer canvas rather than plastic and "classic styling", ability to retain rucksack straps (airlines are getting stupid about dangly bits on bags now and I fly a lot for work)

Must not-  have wheels, be lightweight

Cheers

alx 28 Apr 2018
In reply to artif:

I switched to the Patagonia BlackHole 120L duffel a while ago, absolutely no complaints as sounds like it has many of the things you want.  The rucksack straps can be detached quickly at the airport and stuffed into the pocket.

http://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/product/black-hole-duffel-bag-120-liters/4935...

Pina 28 Apr 2018
In reply to artif:

Check out the Lomo offerings.

d_b 28 Apr 2018
In reply to artif:

The TNF ones are still good.  The ME ones are also pretty decent but don't feel quite as bombproof.

Well done actually managing to knacker one.  My big one has been going strong for about 15 years and still looks new when I hose it down.

OP artif 28 Apr 2018
In reply to d_b:

Not one but two, but I think its more of a material issue rather than a construction problem as they are both delaminating and splitting.

No complaints though as they have been through a lot, baggage handlers, carrying my boy around (don't ask) being tied to the  roof of various vehicles (cheaper than a roof box) and gear storage.

alx 28 Apr 2018
In reply to Pina:

Those lomo duffels look good!

TobyA 28 Apr 2018
In reply to artif:

I've found the generic knock-offs of the original TNF ones are great. Our big one is a own-brand from a Nordic sports shop chain. It must be 15 years old now and has been through dozens and dozens of airports, and on hundreds of trips. Still no damage.

We have middle sized Decathlon own brand one which is probably 12 years old and still as good as new. And most recently I grabbed a Crane Sports (is that Lidl or Aldi own brand? Can never remember) one, maybe 40 or so ltrs and that's going strong too after a few years of regular use. It cost 8 quid I think!

In reply to artif:

I’m really happy with my Patagonia Black Hole. It’s had a fair bit of hammer and is still like new. 

Lighter than a TNF duffle and of you break it Patagonia will fix for free. 

Would buy another one no question. 

That said, my wife’s TNF duffle is ten years old and still going strong.

I had an ME duffle previously and it wasn’t a patch on the TNF. 

Post edited at 12:54
 Doug 28 Apr 2018
In reply to TobyA:

I was about to write a similar recommendation for Decathlon (mine is around 10 years old), but lunch was ready & you got there first. I suspect you could buy 2 or 3 Decathlon bags for the price of one from TNF or ME.

In reply to d_b:

In my experience the ME ones are as burley as the TNF ones.

angry pirate 28 Apr 2018
In reply to Pina:

Plus one for this. I use the roll top dry bag holdall regularly and it is still in great nick despite transporting tools and crampons through airports. The 60 litre one is much bigger than that.

If I were to buy now, I'd probably get their new holdall with zips and proper shoulder straps but I just can't wear the old one out!

HeMa 28 Apr 2018
In reply to artif:

Knock off’s are actually rather good. 

From name brands Tatonka Barrel and Patagucci Blackhole spring to mind. 

For super robust and long lasting, I’d look for Fish though. Spendy, but they do make about the best haulbags in the market, and their Deluxe version looks absolutely stellar. 

http://www.fishproducts.com/catalog/luggage.html

ewanjp 28 Apr 2018
In reply to artif:

Go outdoors version is really good and seemingly invincible. Mine have been all over the place, including being strapped to donkeys!

I've got the older 'hi gear' branded ones and also one of the newer 'north ridge' branded ones. Both are in good shape despite lots of use.

Also cheap!

nniff 28 Apr 2018
In reply to artif:

My ME one has been going well for years and years and has endured countless baggage handling systems.  The rucksack straps are a bit iffy IMHO and I never use them - I invariably have a rucksack with me and so the duffel goes sideways on the top of that.  Works for me

OP artif 01 May 2018
In reply to artif:

Fish bags look ok, but I'd prefer a more traditional canvas bag, I'm tempted to go DIY to get exactly what I want.

neuromancer 01 May 2018
In reply to artif:

I rate the alpkit version pretty highly. Survived a few trips out to the sandbox and several holidays around the place.

benp1 01 May 2018
In reply to artif:

I have 4 TNF duffels and an osprey Transporter. All been going strong. Used for family trips and anything involving moving kit around (unless it's really muddy kit in which case it's an ikea bag!). We don't use suitcases, I find duffels work much better in the car and in a roofbox

All good, the transporter feels less robust but more like a normal bag, it's lined and have various pockets. The TNF feels more robust but also more utilitarian as a result. The newer duffels have a pocket at the end now, which you might or might not like

HeMa 01 May 2018
In reply to artif:

> ... but I'd prefer a more traditional canvas bag, I'm tempted to go DIY to get exactly what I want.

Canvas is unfortunately not as robust as the fabric your old TNF Basecamp Barrel (or Fish) though.

mike123 02 May 2018
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen: agreed the ME bags are just as good as the north face ones ( I ve got both ) and Cotswold seem to have them on almost permanent sale .

JoshOvki 02 May 2018
In reply to ewanjp:

My hi-gear bag I bought in 2009 has finally given up the ghost The toggles on both zippers broke and the stitching around the zip has come away on one corner, I am gutted, it has been through so much to me. It still have some hair stuck in the valcro from a donkey in Africa from 4 years ago which refuses to come out.

BAdhoc 02 May 2018
In reply to artif:

My go to in the collection of duffles are my Lowe Alpine one (metal handles are great) or the Patagonia Black Hole. 

anyha 02 May 2018
In reply to BAdhoc:

I think the Fish ones are good, basic but big and robust. I have the behemoth and it is massive.

Post edited at 22:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...