UKC

Morocco - Tafraout/Anti-atlas in late Sept.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 emdawes 28 Apr 2018

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with climbing in this region in September? What are conditions like? Are there enough north facing crags to avoid the heat? Thanks. 

Post edited at 14:57
 Dr Toph 30 Apr 2018
In reply to emdawes:

I had a great trip there September 2010. Climbing from the valley to the north side of Jebel el Kest gives lots of opportunities for shaded climbing. Topping out for warm sunset as the heat of the day dispersed was lovely.

In contrast, the air temp in the spring can be cold relative to the sun, so that you need to wear fleeces in the shade, but still bake in the sun. 

Watercourses were low in September after the summer, making access to e.g. Waterfall Walls easier. 

On rest days we lay behind trees in the breeze or looked for swimming holes, still pretty hot in the sun, so wouldnt recommend any south facing rock (they hold many more scorpions, snakes and toxic plants too, anyway...)

Have fun!

discosucks 30 Apr 2018
In reply to Dr Toph:

I was there at Halloween in 2016 . It was great , the sun was bearable most days . 

If my memory is right maid marian rocks a real suntrap But everywhere else was grand . 

Im going back this year around the same time .  The only problem at this time of year is the shortening days but I guess if you're there for enough time this wont matter! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...