UKC

Odd size feet - Climbing shoe dilemma

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JoshuaMoore 29 Apr 2018

Hi All,

I am one of the very unfortunate people who's feet size vary from left to right by one whole size! This is worrying me as previously I was unaware, but always found that one shoe was the correct fit and one was too tight.

Has anyone else had to deal with this issue, and could anyone recommend a means of getting hold of shoes that fit each foot without having to purchase 2 pairs of shoes!? haha.

Regards,

Josh

metrorat 29 Apr 2018
In reply to JoshuaMoore:

Try contacting manufacturers directly to see if they can help.  I seem to remember 5.10 used to do odd size pairs but I think that was before they were bought by Adidas.  I have a similar issue in that my right foot is half a size bigger than my left.  I just grin and bear it but have sometimes wondered if I could get my right shoe a half size bigger.

Post edited at 21:47
 Marek 29 Apr 2018
In reply to metrorat:

> ...  I have a similar issue in that my right foot is half a size bigger than my left.  I just grin and bear it but have sometimes wondered if I could get my right shoe a half size bigger.

Hmm, I'm the other way round (left bigger than right). What size(s) and makes/models work for you? 

Jenny C 29 Apr 2018
In reply to Marek:

Very common problem, although not normally by a full UK size (which is what I have). Generally I have found that right handers have a larger left foot  although not always.

Regarding fit a thin sock on the smaller foot is usually enough to even out the difference.  Personally I just fit as tight as I can tolerate on the larger foot, that way the smaller one is still snug. 

Paz 29 Apr 2018
In reply to JoshuaMoore:

I heard Evolv used to do split sizes, for a price of course.  I guess the real question is, how to do this more cheaply than buying two pairs?

I don't know about anyone else but I for one have got loads of old shoes in my size, nearly every pair I've ever had.  I've been saving them for that fateful dream day when I discover my DWS dream project (which won't care about the holes in the toe of my boots - it's my Dream project, don't bring your reality into it).  That's not really ever going to happen, so you can take your pick to be honest. 

If you're not bothered about having brand new rock shoes, or which particular brand they are, maybe you can source two second hand pairs of different sizes and just pay for a resole yourself?

Post edited at 22:28
Andy Gamisou 30 Apr 2018
In reply to JoshuaMoore:

Given that it's a common problem, you might be able to find someone with the same sizing mismatch but with the other feet ( if you have a common foot size). Then agree to buy a pair each of the two sizes and do a swap of the respective shoes.

Post edited at 09:05
 Robin Woodward 30 Apr 2018
In reply to JoshuaMoore:

I'm one of these. UK8 L (wide) UK 6.5 R (XX-wide).

I once found my opposite, but his was due to a healing ankle break so I don't think we match anymore.

I generally just keep an eye out for sales which have both sizes I need (complicated by also needing very wide fitting shoes). I have had some limited success contacting manufacturers, but they've only been one-off things rather than company policy etc (one sent me some odd shoes they found in the factory, and another let me come to a factory to pick a pair off the line before they were boxed up).

As I also go mountaineering, and they're the same manufacturers, I now only try to get deals from manufacturers for big boots and similar as they're soo much more expensive and I think people get annoyed if you keep asking for kindness.

I've always dreamed about investing a few thousand on buying a load of say 2-3 types of rock shoe and selling odd sizes at a 25% markup and hoping that the random leftovers you end up with are paid for by the markup, but I don't have the money.

John Gillott 30 Apr 2018
In reply to JoshuaMoore:

Decathlon used to let you choose an odd pair. Not sure if that's still the case or not, but might be worth a try. Limited range of shoes on sale, but they used to have piles of what they had and it was a case of just picking out two shoes.

jon 30 Apr 2018
In reply to JoshuaMoore:

My feet differ by 2 sizes, 42 left and 40 right. There are a number of ways of dealing with this.

A few manufacturers will make odd sized pairs. Andrea Boldrini in France is one. They made me a pair (for a small supplement). It also takes a couple of months as they make them specially rather than just breaking up a couple of pairs. However, I don't really like the model I bought and so have only worn them a couple of times. I should say that a friend has recently bought a pair of Boldrinis (though different model) and thinks they're brilliant.

I have in the past bought two pairs and used the left of one and the right of the other, a rather expensive solution.

However, the best way I've found is to choose a shoe that you like, preferably unlined leather (not synthetic) and buy really tight for the bigger foot. For instance my go-to shoe is a Sportiva Cobra. I buy 40.5 which will just stretch to my 42 left foot. The 40 right foot will be comfy/slightly tight as the Sportiva sizing is nonsense and is much smaller than real-life size - but the important thng is that it will never stretch to the size that the left one will, simply because it doesn't have to, and the end result is a pair of shoes that feel almost the same. The unlined bit is important as unlined shoes will stretch to accommodate big size differences whereas lined ones (and synthetic) have minimal stretch. Wearing them in the shower and letting them dry on your foot will accelerate the process.

My Boldrini Pantera Lights are 42L and 41R if you're interested.....

Post edited at 12:12
 oldie 30 Apr 2018
In reply to JoshuaMoore:

I have a right foot about half size bigger (use thinner socks to compensate) which was exacerbated by an increase in width caused by a severe bunion. At one stage I was desperate enough to negotiate a large discount (which I didn't use in the end) if I bought a second pair of boots so I could wear two sizes. A recent operation has proved invaluable in my case... but no use to you!

In the last year there were a few related UKC posts especially "odd sized shoes" and also "different size toe knuckles" and "feet beyond help" (about bunions).

It might be possible to set up some sort of site, on UKC?, for people with these problems so that they could swap L and R shoes between them (I believe there is one in USA but probably not climbing related).

I had an acquaintance with vastly different feet due to an accident. He would try many different sizes and models of boots and surreptitiously mix them up before buying, lumbering the shop with two unsellable odd shoes. Not recommending this in any way and I think shops are more aware nowadays.

Steven AT 30 Apr 2018
In reply to JoshuaMoore:

Evolv are happy to ship 'split sizes' as they call it - although I don't know if they're willing to ship to the UK. Could be a solution? https://evolvsports.com/shop/ultra-performance/oracle/ 

metrorat 30 Apr 2018
In reply to Marek:

Hey marek I’m a 9.5 in tenaya oasi (right foot wants a 10), and 10.5 in tenaya Masai (right wants 11).  I also have Anasazi pinks which are a bit more forgiving, take a 10.5 in them (would maybe size down to 10 on the left).

Marek 01 May 2018
In reply to metrorat:

> Hey marek I’m a 9.5 in tenaya oasi (right foot wants a 10), and 10.5 in tenaya Masai (right wants 11).  I also have Anasazi pinks which are a bit more forgiving, take a 10.5 in them (would maybe size down to 10 on the left).

Ah pity - way bigger than my feet (EU42-43).

sbc23 01 May 2018
In reply to JoshuaMoore:

I had a lot of pain with this when I was younger. Tempting to buy the smaller size and just live with it. 

For my recent shoes, I've just bought two pairs of different sizes whenever something I like is on offer at Rock & Run. They have a helpful chart to assist with sizing and fit.

Then I just put the other odd set for sale on here or on ebay. I get the majority of the extra money spent back. I imagine there are a lot of people who have slightly odd feet in the UK8-10 / 42-44 range. There's not that many combinations.

Joe G 04 May 2018

Great thread - I had been wondering about starting one of my own about this problem. I currently have a pair of rock shoes that kinda fit but I do think there has to be someone out there who could be my foot buddy... we could go shoe shopping together and swap one for one!

Anyway, I decided, much against my normally frugal nature to buy two pairs of Scarpa Crux approach shoes - a one pair for the price of two deal. I now have a size 42 left shoe and a size 41 right shoe for sale if anyone is interested. One is completely new, never worn outside, and the other has been worn outside for a total of two hours. Happy to provide photos and post them but I’m about to go away on a long weekend so might be a few days.

jon 04 May 2018
In reply to Joe G:

How much are you selling them for?

Ramon Marin 04 May 2018
In reply to JoshuaMoore:

Hi Josh,

Hi had the same problem after doing my ankle in a few times (same one, it went up half a size!). I bought my Miuras from Decathlon, where they are unboxed and picked different sizes for each foot. It worked a treat. It's probably not the right thing to recommend in a public forum but since I thought they might not be many people out there with this problem and there isn't much choice of rock shoes anyways I thought it's worth mentioning.

Joe G 04 May 2018
In reply to jon:

Hi Jon, sorry just seen your post. £50 plus postage if required.

jon 04 May 2018
In reply to Joe G:

That sounds quite reasonable. I'll have to try some on which might take some time, but I'll come back to you.

Joe G 05 May 2018
In reply to jon:

Sounds good, probably best contacting me directly in case I forget to check back here. My “pair” are great shoes. The 42 left felt insecure for edging and the 41 right painful for walking downhill so hopefully they will work as well for you as their opposites do for me!

metrorat 08 May 2018
In reply to JoshuaMoore:

I contacted Tenaya who responded saying they will make an odd size pair for a 20% premium on the normal cost, which I think is pretty reasonable.  Their shoes are great too, I already have three pairs.

In reply to JoshuaMoore:

Hi all 

I have a set of brand new scarpa booster s, left foot size 42 right foot 43, that I am looking to sell, I go though boots quite quick so normally have some in this size combo to get rid of, if that matches anyone? Cheers 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...