UKC

Advice on starting outdoor climbing/belaying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alfie Dalton 30 Apr 2018

Hello all,

I started indoor climbing about a year ago at my local gym in Manchester and have fallen in love with it, go 2-3 times a week and just pushing V5s.

I'm very interested in starting outdoor climbing and leaning all the techniques involved and knowledge of equipment etc, with both the peaks and lakes good distances away.

However I simply don't know where to start and not really in any community groups who do it, being quite shy makes this hard for me to try and introduce myself. 

Any tips on books for learning and/or any locals who know of groups that I could try and join to push myself to improve?

Thanks!

Andy Hardy 30 Apr 2018
In reply to ARobDal:

My club the mynydd ( http://mynydd.org.uk/ ) held an event this weekend designed for getting indoor climbers outside, via the club - it's a pity you didnt post this a week ago!

We go out (weather permitting) Tuesday evenings in the summer - next stop Rivelin tomorrow. Not sure if I'll be going (van is heading to the garage tomorrow) but keep an eye on the website / facebook group

mrphilipoldham 30 Apr 2018
In reply to ARobDal:

I'm in New Mills, always happy to head out with newcomers. Usually free midweek, and evenings now Summer is here! 

Andy Hemsted 30 Apr 2018
In reply to ARobDal:

You might think of looking for professional instruction, as well as going out with experienced climbers ... I did a six-day course when I was in your position, and learnt all the rope/equipment skills needed to feel confident when heading outside with a group.

jezb1 30 Apr 2018
In reply to ARobDal:

I'm biased but reckon going on a course with a suitable qualified and experienced instructor is a good first step. A weeks course would be a good start giving you a basic foundation of skills that you can then go away and use. Plus they're just great fun!

After that joining a club in your area would be a great way to meet people to go out and get climbing with.

Post edited at 17:54
Alfie Dalton 01 May 2018
In reply to ARobDal:

Thank you so much for the replies, I didn't expect this level of response and so quickly. 

I'll make a start with looking into all the things you have said, especially the 6 day course, sounds fun! 

I'm currently out of actiobln with a flexor injury on my ring finger so hopfeully I'll get started soon.

Thanks again, Alfie

Alfie Dalton 01 May 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Haha, so close. I'll make sure to keep an eye on what's going on.

Thanks

stp 04 May 2018
In reply to Alfie Dalton:

You can definitely teach yourself from books. I learned from an old Pete Livesey book I borrowed from the local library but I'm sure there are much better, more comprehensive ones out now.

For roped climbing you'll obviously need a partner so if you can find someone vaguely interested you might be able to drag them out with you. You'll obviously need some gear. You could start out top roping as that will require less investment and fewer skills to begin with. There are lots of small gritstone crags in the Peak district that are ideal for beginners to learn on. Birchens and Stanage are popular choices.

dominic o 05 May 2018
In reply to Alfie Dalton:

The Rucksack Club gets out on local crags in The Peak every Wednesday evening (and further afield at the weekend) and welcomes enthusiastic new members who are making the transition from the wall to the crag. 

Check out the meets calendar at https://rucksackclub.org/ Next Wednesday we're at Anglezarke, though it sounds like you are out of action at the moment. 

Good luck with the recovery and PM me if you are interested in coming along sometime.

Cheers, Dom 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...