UKC

Ariege advice for first timer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shapeshifter 01 May 2018

I'm visiting the area with family early July, for a bit of biking, walking, rafting etc and hoping to get the odd day or half day climbing in between other stuff. I'd like to make the most of the short time available (noting July temps not ideal), so if anybody has any advice on 'dont miss' crags or routes (mid 6's to low 7's), that would be most appreciated. I have the Rockfax guide but nothing else.

Thanks in advance.

dominic o 01 May 2018
In reply to Shapeshifter:

We were seeking out shady crags in Ariege in October a couple of years ago. I thought Alliat was excellent, with a bunch of outstanding 7a/+s including Mac in Teuch

https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2014/10/31/alliat-le-carol-and-pereille/

OP Shapeshifter 01 May 2018
In reply to dominic o:

Thanks for the reply - interesting Blog, you certainly get around. Alliat looks good in the Rockfax, will give it a look.

Cheers

martin09 02 May 2018

if you go to the club alpin Foix website and to the 'topo escalade' you will find a map and descriptions of all the climbing areas in Ariege along with hand drawn topo's which give useful information. It is all in French. 

john arran 02 May 2018

I'd agree with Dominic about Alliat - possibly my favourite crag around here. It's in the shade in the afternoon - from 1 to 3pm depending on the sector. Best places for those grades are Livre, Passe Muraille and Loubetière.

If you're itching to climb in the morning, on the other side of the valley there's Sibada, which has loads of lovely routes and which stays in the shade until about 1pm.

OP Shapeshifter 02 May 2018
In reply to martin09:

Thanks Martin, I'll have a look

OP Shapeshifter 02 May 2018
In reply to john arran:

Thanks John, much appreciated. One last question I forgot to put in the original post - do any of those crags have tricky access for non-climbers?

Thanks again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...