UKC

Washing ropes in a washing machine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
monsoon 04 May 2018

Has anyone ever washed a rope in a washing machine but just used the normal 40 degree spin cycle? Yes I know that a more delicate cycle is probably best practice but surely it can't be that much of an issue?

PaulW 04 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

I just put mine in a pillowcase to minimise tangles.

I use a slow spin though, more because i am worried about damage to the drum from the heavy lump inside.

Robert Durran 04 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

Yes, I just stick in in with no soap, having first coiled it by that "kinky" method to stop it getting tangled. Works fine.

monsoon 04 May 2018
In reply to PaulW:

Its the spin thing I'm wondering about. A good spin gets a good amount of the water out. Can't really see how spinning a rope in a machine as a one-off is going to do any damage that actually makes a difference on the crag as opposed to in a test lab.

rackandruin 04 May 2018
In reply to monsoon: Id be more worried about the damage you'll do to the washing machine by spinning the rope rather than air drying it

monsoon 04 May 2018
In reply to PaulW:

I'd have thought a wet rope doesn't weigh much different to a full load of wet clothes

Post edited at 09:04
 john arran 04 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

> I'd have thought a wet rope doesn't way much different to a full load of wet clothes

Certainly not way more.

monsoon 04 May 2018
In reply to john arran:

doh

GrahamD 04 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

I’ve always done it on a cold rinse and spin cycle. Dries much quicker than not spinning.  I always daisy chain the rope first so it doesn’t tangle but never used a pillowcase. It always worries me that grit and sand on the rope can’t really get out of a pillowcase 

krikoman 04 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

Cold was, no soap, full spin, no bag.  Sort the tangles out later, but it wasn't that bad.

No worries.

I don't think using soap is a good idea, you have no idea of what is might do to the rope or it's handling.

Neil Williams 04 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

> I'd have thought a wet rope doesn't weigh much different to a full load of wet clothes

Wet clothes distribute themselves in the drum, a rope doesn't.

monsoon 04 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

A wet rope distributes itself if its daisy chained. On spin all clothes stick to the edge, a wet rope prob less so

Steven AT 04 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

Before washing the rope daisy chain it so it is easier to handle and doesn't tangle due to the spin. 

Method demo'd here: 

http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsinnet/index.php 

StuMsg 04 May 2018

Do you get rope safe softener?

I might try regular softener on my retired static rope, see if it becomes less steel cable like.

In reply to StuMsg:

> Do you get rope safe softener?

> I might try regular softener on my retired static rope, see if it becomes less steel cable like.

Just washing it should do that.

Toerag 04 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

Bear in mind that if you've had your machine a while it will almost certainly harbour detergent residues which will kill dry treatment.

Dell 04 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

I have some Beal rope cleaner, never actually tried it yet, but the instructions say: 

Slip the harness or rope loosely into a pillowcase. Put 75ml of rope cleaner into the Machine,  regulated to 30c maximum, without spin drying. 

Drying should be done naturally,  for example by hanging on a line, whilst avoiding exposure to bright sunlight.

Avoid contact with eyes!

Nikwax do a rope reproofing liquid if you require water repellency. 

Phil West 04 May 2018
In reply to monsoon:

I coil mine daisy chain style then wash gently in a domestic machine.

I would recommend AGAINST using a launderette. The one time I used one, the rope centrifuged itself to the top and a loop got caught between the drum and the outer and burnt right through the mantle. You don’t want that. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...