UKC

GROUP TEST: Insulated Inflatable Sleeping Mats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 04 May 2018
mats group test montage, 4 kbModern insulated inflatable mats provide excellent warmth for a minimal weight, but which is the best model for your intended use? We compare five mats across the price range.

Read more
 olddirtydoggy 04 May 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Had the older Exped downmat and the down travelled down the mat and left very cold spots. The write up seems to explain a fix for this but having got an X-therm after my Exped got destroyed, I'm sold on on it. The X-therm for me is more than ok on very cold winter camps for someone who runs cold. All depends on the quality of bag though.

galpinos 08 May 2018

I assuming the ME mat came out too late?

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/aerostat-down-7-0-mat

Slightly cheaper than the Exped, though slightly heavier (due to the rectangular design?). Looks like a worthy competitor?

In reply to galpinos:

Yes, that looks great but sadly missed the group review. We're hoping to do a stand-alone review later in the year

alex anderson 10 May 2018

I bought the OEX Fulcrum for the economy of price, couldn't be happier so far, shame it wasn't in the test. 

Post edited at 07:54
 DanHB 10 May 2018

I used the Sea to Summit long version on a 4 month 4500mile cycle trip from Turkey to Kyrgyzstan... LOVED IT. Sleep on a long trip was going to be important so I was happy taking bit more weight.

Camped or bivvied 95% of the trip so it got well used and abused. From super hot temps at sea level to minus figures at 4500m in Tajikistan it was brilliant...

Flat ground or stony ground, grass or beach, not a problem... quick to inflate... I really like the double sided design so that you can get it right for you. 8 big breaths to make one side totally solid and then 6 breaths for how I like the other side. Nice and quick.

Not noisy or slippery to sleep on... unlike my partners cheaper OEX mat - which was super small and light to carry, but slippery, noisy as hell and suffered leaks..

Definitely durable... it was in and out of panniers almost every day to sleep on... no signs of wear, although I take care of kit.

Stored it for a year... used few times in UK... then slept on it again for a month cycling Bulgaria to Croatia....  still no issues...

Great mat!

markharro 28 May 2018

My Exped 9 downmat has had a section weld pop up resulting in one big protruding air section in place of two. It is now essentially unusable. I tried to email Exped about it but the emails bounced suggesting they were dead links. Does anyone have a live email address for Exped customer support? thanks

cp123 28 May 2018
In reply to markharro:

Have you tried tweeting them? Companies are normally very quick to get back to you when you make a fuss on social media.

markharro 28 May 2018
In reply to BIgYeti86:

Thanks - problem is I cant find any Twitter ID for them!

In reply to markharro:

Lyon Equipment are the UK distributors for Exped.

HeMa 28 May 2018
In reply to markharro:

You do realize, that *always* you contact the place where you bought it. If that fails, then the importer and only last point of contact is directly the manufacturer. 

cp123 28 May 2018
In reply to HeMa:

No, that's no correct.

The consumer rights act (replacing sales of goods act) says goods must be fit for purpose, and if not you have the right to repair, replace or refund and it is the customers choice. Any problem with the goods within 6 months of purchase is deemed to be a problem with manufacturing and the above applies.  After 6 months the above still applies but now you have to prove it was a problem with manufacturing, which can be much harder. In all of the above your contract is with the seller and should be your first point of contact.

On top of this many companies offer an extended warranty, which is consumer protection above and beyond your statutory rights. So if you are out of the 6 month window and have a warranty it may be easier to approach the manufacturer rather than having to prove it was a problem with the manufacturing rather than mistreatment or wear and tear to the seller, who may not be an expert.

For example I have some Salomon boots that leaked like a sieve but only noticed after 6 months. I saw Salomon offer a 2 year warranty and got the boots replaced under that with no contact with the shop. This was much easier than trying to pursade a shop assistant that the boots were faulty not through mistreatment or wear and tear.

The important thing is you know your rights, and check what a warranty covers if you choose to get one or it is included with your purchase.

HeMa 28 May 2018
In reply to BIgYeti86:

Correct, but that agreement (EU consider protection act) is between the buyer and the  seller, not between the manufacturer and buyer. Which was my point. He should contact the seller/retailer, failing that it is the importer next. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...