UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Am Buachaille Sea Stack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 04 May 2018
Dave Linnett, 4 kbAm Buachaille aka The Shepherd is one of the "Big 3" sea stacks located in the Far North West of Scotland along with the Old Men of Stoer and Hoy. Thanks to a 4 mile walk in, a tricksome descent and approach culminating in a "character building" swim across a 15 metre channel of water exposed only at low tide, this Old Man is considered to be the most remote and serious of them all. No walking to the base or setting up a tyrolean traverse on this Torridonian sandstone 50 metre high behemoth...

UKC user David Linnett has sent in another of his classic 'grand day out' films. Enjoy!

Read more
 olddirtydoggy 04 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Caught this last week when it went up. Dave's vid's are by far the finest climbing films out there. The grade, style of shooting and just the general feel are something the punters can relate to and thats the vast majority of climbers out there.

In reply to UKC News:

Whilst I'm not saying it's a better route than The Old Man of Stoer, there is something that little bit different about Am Buachaille that sticks in the memory (and does so - at least for me - more so than its relatively conventional neighbour). Maybe it's the swim, maybe it's the birds, or maybe it's the fact I forgot my rock shoes, but there's something alright and this film seems to captures it.

Toccata 04 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Some stunning looking lines on the mainland cliffs opposite.

Nice film. 

Gone for good 04 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Another great film showcasing the Great British coastline and its fantastic climbing.  Henry guided for me and the kids down on the sea cliffs in Pembrokeshire last year. The kids thought he was great and he was!! Well done Dave/Bald Eagle. Brilliant stuff yet again.

Post edited at 18:40
 BALD EAGLE 04 May 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy, Rob, Tocatta and Wanderer:

Thanks a million guys for taking the time to post your positive vibes as it is muchly appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed my wee video! Cheers Dave

mrphilipoldham 04 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

This is the kind of film that inspires.. not the whole ‘finding myself’ whilst climbing some nonsense 9b bolt up. Lovely, well done all involved!

Tom Last 04 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Cool film. Brief point of pedantry about the stand first to this article though; the Old Man of Hoy is most definitely not in the North West of Scotland. 

BALD EAGLE 05 May 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> This is the kind of film that inspires.. not the whole ‘finding myself’ whilst climbing some nonsense 9b bolt up. Lovely, well done all involved!

Hey Phil many thanks for your kind words as it makes those long hours of editing all worthwhile! Cheers Dave

Robert Durran 05 May 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Really enjoyed that!

> Whilst I'm not saying it's a better route than The Old Man of Stoer............

I am! Definitely the best of the three classic stacks. More committing swim than Stoer and just as good climbing (I've heard mixed reports on the Landward Face but Atlantic Wall is proper quality), and Hoy barely counts because you don't have to swim and it's a dreadful climb anyway

Robert Durran 05 May 2018
In reply to Toccata:

> Some stunning looking lines on the mainland cliffs opposite.

Not so sure you'd think so if you saw them up close!

Tony Jones 05 May 2018
In reply to Gone for good:

> Another great film showcasing the Great British coastline and its fantastic climbing.  Henry guided for me and the kids down on the sea cliffs in Pembrokeshire last year. The kids thought he was great and he was!! Well done Dave/Bald Eagle. Brilliant stuff yet again.

Yeah, Henry's great isn't he! Me and my duaghter have been out with him the last two summer holidays (and we will again this year unless she starts eating more pies soon).

My other half who has no climbing aspirations (well, not in the generally regarded sense), and certainly wouldn't get excited watching a super athlete climbing a hard sport route, watched this and said that she would like to climb Am Buachaille one day.

Inspirational!

Thanks Dave, Henry and Paul.

Post edited at 18:29
 Dave Ferguson 05 May 2018

ah, I was one of the party of 3 ahead of you. We just thought you must be good enough to climb everything sub E1 in trainers. Didn't realise you had forgotten your rock shoes! Cracking day though wasn't it?

pneame 06 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely. Great coastal views and super climbing. 

Thx!

sjminfife 06 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

This popped up on my youtube feed and I thought "Why hasn't this been on UKC?" and lo and behold here it is. I have walked into Sandwood Bay and looked wistfully towards Am Buachaille.... your film had taken me one step further towards climbing it myself

BALD EAGLE 07 May 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Really enjoyed that!

Thanks Robert and I'm glad you enjoyed the vid! Cheers Dave

BALD EAGLE 07 May 2018
In reply to Tony Jones

> Inspirational!

> Thanks Dave, Henry and Paul.

Hey Tony many thanks and I really appreciate your appreciation! Cheers Dave

BALD EAGLE 08 May 2018
In reply to pneame:

> Lovely. Great coastal views and super climbing. 

> Thx!

Heya pneame many thanks for the positive words and I'm glad you enjoyed the vid! Cheers Dave

Post edited at 14:53
 BALD EAGLE 08 May 2018
In reply to sjminfife:

> This popped up on my youtube feed and I thought "Why hasn't this been on UKC?" and lo and behold here it is. I have walked into Sandwood Bay and looked wistfully towards Am Buachaille.... your film had taken me one step further towards climbing it myself

Thanks a million sjminfife and I hope you get on the Shepherd one day soon! Cheers Dave

In reply to Dave Ferguson:

> We just thought you must be good enough to climb everything sub E1 in trainers. Didn't realise you had forgotten your rock shoes! 

I genuinely wish I was a) that good and b) that cool

It was indeed, a truly incredible day/week. Don't think we saw a single cloud throughout the whole week we were up there. Very surreal coming back home after, felt like I'd been in an alternate universe?!

I can eat 50 eggs 08 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

All climbing films should be like this. Beautiful. What climbing is really all about for the 99%

Robert Durran 08 May 2018
In reply to I can eat 50 eggs:

> All climbing films should be like this.

Nonsense. I watched it just after watching La Dura Dura Completa (again). Both were great. There is room for all sorts of climbing films just as there is room for all sorts of climbing.

Robert Durran 08 May 2018

> It was indeed, a truly incredible day/week. Don't think we saw a single cloud throughout the whole week we were up there. Very surreal coming back home after, felt like I'd been in an alternate universe?!

Ah, was that the weekend we met you in the Sheigra campsite and drank wine out on the rocks above the First Geo while the sun went down? Maybe not an alternate universe, but certainly heaven on earth...........

BALD EAGLE 09 May 2018
In reply to I can eat 50 eggs:

> All climbing films should be like this. Beautiful. What climbing is really all about for the 99%

Hi 50 eggs and a big old thanks for taking the time to post your positive vibes! Cheers Dave

BALD EAGLE 12 May 2018

> Nonsense. I watched it just after watching La Dura Dura Completa (again). Both were great. There is room for all sorts of climbing films just as there is room for all sorts of climbing.

Yep I've got to agree Robert and whilst I really appreciate 50 eggs kind words, climbing is a broard church and so there should be room for all sorts of films as well! Cheers Dave

I can eat 50 eggs 13 May 2018

Prickly bugger! 

Doghouse 13 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great wee film, really enjoyed that .

BALD EAGLE 14 May 2018
In reply to Doghouse:

> Great wee film, really enjoyed that .

Cheers Doghouse glad you enjoyed the vid and I really appreciate your kind words! Dave

benmorr 22 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great video! Might be worth mentioning that the parent bird of the chick in the nest on pitch 1 returned happily to the nest after the climbers had descended.

BALD EAGLE 23 May 2018
In reply to benmorr:

> Great video! Might be worth mentioning that the parent bird of the chick in the nest on pitch 1 returned happily to the nest after the climbers had descended.

Thanks ben muchly appreciated and I can confirm that no animals were harmed in the making of this film! And most surprisingly no humans were puked upon either...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...