UKC

Cutting up a sleeping pad?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sanguine 07 May 2018

Hello UKC Forum, 

I've noticed both out in the Alps and on more than a few videos rucksacks with what seems to be a thermarest z-lite split in half and mounted on either side so as to even out distribution and presumably to fit better in the straps. Has anyone seen this also? How are they joined afterwards for resting, if at all? Guessing velcro? Been thinking about doing this myself for similar reasons but wanted to get some first-hand advice here.

Roberttaylor 07 May 2018
In reply to sanguine:

What you might be seeing is the second, carrying both z-lites on their pack so the leader can climb with no pack/a far smaller pack.

Weight redistribution would be minimal, depending on route and style of climb I often have mine on the very back of my pack rather than at the side; it weighs so little that it doesn't pull me backwards and it doesn't get in my way there.

Pedro50 07 May 2018
In reply to sanguine:

I chopped my z-lite down as I thought a full length one unnecessary. It slightly irks me that they don't offer them in different lengths. 

OP sanguine 07 May 2018
In reply to Roberttaylor:

That's a thought - but what I've seen does seem to be more like three layers thick - it seems much thinner than a full length in any case. 

neuromancer 07 May 2018
In reply to sanguine:

It's pretty common to chop a z lite to knee length, then placing your feet on your rucksack or rope. It doesn't make a massive amount of difference to the weight (although every little counts), but it reduces the bulk noticably.

KevinJ 07 May 2018
In reply to sanguine:

I've cut a Z-lite down to 3/4 length for use when bivvying in the alps and the UK.  As Neuromancer says, it can significantly cut down the bulk while remaining effective.  I find it works well shoulder to knee, with my boots (and a jacket) as a pillow and my sack or rope under my feet.

I tried cutting a different mat down to two short sections which I could rejoin with velcro, but the overlap really irked me during the night, so I binned the idea.  I tried this mainly for packing into a more compact sack.  Went back to the Z-Lite on the outside.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...