UKC

Community Work Placement: Anyone done it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Good morning.

Does anyone know of anyone who has done this scheme? 

Did they get a job from it?

Sav

In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Never done this Sav but twice in my life I've volunteered whilst being unemployed and both times this led to paid work elsewhere (it makes the old CV look better and being more active in general ain't so bad).

Mike Highbury 07 May 2018
In reply to Mountain Spirit: Do you mean Community Payback? I'd say do the time, it's less demeaning.

In reply to Phantom Disliker:

I've done plenty of voluntary work through various schemes including through  The Prince's Trust Volunteers Programme.

In reply to Mike Highbury:

Hi Mike.

Actually, I don't.

I can not seem to paste a link to it.

Sav

Post edited at 13:08

Good to know. I personally would be wary of government schemes such as Community Work Placement in case they make you work in Poundland or McDonalds. If you pre-empt them by choosing an organisation of your choice you will find it more rewarding and the bureaucrats at the DWP might leave you alone for a while (always a bonus).

Good luck.

In reply to Phantom Disliker:

Thanks.

I did the scheme a few years ago and they sent me to a religious charity with a tiny office - I didn't get to choose the organisation.

I am quite wary of such schemes and there was a case on the news where a women was doing voluntary work at a museum and they sent her to volunteer at Poundland 

Post edited at 13:33
Deadeye 08 May 2018

I think you should do it Sav (for what my opinion is worth).

I think you would benefit from the structure of a placement and even if the chance of a permanent job is low, it's still a chance.

Plus, it could be great... and even if it isn't it's only for a shortish time.

No downside really

In reply to Deadeye:

Hi.

I have already done it.

Sav

jkarran 08 May 2018
In reply to Deadeye:

> No downside really

The downside is allowing/encouraging companies requiring unskilled labour to use coerced unpaid unskilled labour and the effect that has on those needing the paid work.

jk

Toerag 08 May 2018

These sort of placements are useful for people who employers would deem to be 'risky' to take on because they've been out of work for a long time due to medical/psychological issues. They demonstrate that you can turn up to work day in day out on time and do the work required. This removes an element of risk for a potential employer who would be worried about taking someone on only for them to give up a week later.

In reply to Toerag:

By potential enployer, are you referring to the placement?...

I don't think Ministry of Empowerment take on paid staff. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...