UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Harthill Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 08 May 2018
Harthill Quarry in all it's glory, 4 kbEvery area has their 'big three': Yorkshire has Malham, Kilnsey and Gordale; the South West has Sennen, Bosigran, and Chair Ladder; and finally North Wales has…well…North Wales just has hundreds of good crags. Here in the Peak we have a similar sort of three greats, which have come to be known as the Triple H: Horseshoe, Harpur Hill, and finally - the dark horse of the trio - Harthill Quarry.

Read more
pasbury 08 May 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

More of this sort of thing!

John Gresty 09 May 2018

Competed there on a trials bike several times, nice venue, even if I once damaged a couple of ribs after an unfortunate coming together with a rather large rock.

Always thought that there were some impressive looking climbs there but the top-outs put me off.   I do know someone who has done a couple of routes there, he confirmed my opinion of the finishes.

John

Ramon Marin 09 May 2018

Looks like what White Goods was 10 years ago. A bit of a clear up and trimming veg could go a long way, the problems look fantastic. Everyone loves the underdog!

LJH 09 May 2018

Probably going to get slammed by the ethics police here.

The place needs some chains at the top of the good rock band to avoid the death traps up top.

There are a few other old grit quarries scattered around that would gain from having this approach due to the issues with the top layer of rock being rotten.

I really wish you hadn't written this, because now I'm going to have to visit the place now when I could be doing something more enjoyable, like stabbing myself in the feet with rusty forks. I quite like the idea of bolted lower offs...why not?

Brumbler 09 May 2018

Some of the locals aren't the friendliest, we were threatened with some very sharp looking farming tools walking back through the quarry from the clifftop boulder. We were told climbing wasn't allowed there and to leave straight away or else, never had any issues before and didn't put us off going back but I've never met someone that aggressive at a crag before.

Offwidth 09 May 2018
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I did Grip, HVS 5a* for my crag tick. Trying to remember who with,... might well have been Fiend. The climb was really good crack climbing once you could access it but getting over the top layer of choss was horrendous. As belayer, I ran round and dropped a top rope for it  The picture makes the base look like an Idyll compared to reality (brambled bouldery nastiness).... pic must be left of the main crag. Clifftop Boulders next door are real quality. If you want proper adventure we can sneak in and climb something at the amazing looking Knabb quarry (still need my tick there), p.315.

Offwidth 09 May 2018
In reply to Brumbler:

The access ito Clifftop isn't through the quarry. You should turn left before the quarry and follow the path back right and bypass it.

Brumbler 09 May 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks, I never said that access was through the quarry. I said we were walking through the quarry after going to the clifftop boulder. As the article was about the quarry I thought people may want to be aware of the possibility of being threatened with violence if they went there.

Bulls Crack 09 May 2018

Useful feature. Places not to visit  

Could do the next one on The Gallery

Offwidth 09 May 2018
In reply to Brumbler:

I got that. I was trying to be clear that the quarry is best avoided completely when going to and from Clifftop as those who use it have got annoyed with climbers in the past (as per our information on p.374 in the Froggatt guide) hence the defined access route that doesn't go through the quarry.

Post edited at 20:33
In reply to Offwidth:

I'd be happy to do that. I finish work for the year tomorrow so anytime after that works for me.

paul mitchell 02 Jul 2018

Thumper the Rabbit was my line.Dawes got impatient with belaying and romped up the snow covered holds.No mention of the fine arête Buddha Mouth Snake Mind? Yep,the place could do with some lower offs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...