UKC

Lightweight shorts for climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 15 May 2018

Does anyone have any recommendations for well articulated shorts for summer rock climbing? Looking for something lightweight, quick drying, and with an internal belt, but preferably with a long inseam, around 13".

All my current shorts are err, a little too short and rarely do manufacturers give the inseam length for shorts.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

GrahamD 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

Is brand important to you ? because if not just about every high street clothes shop will sell shorts you can climb in.

Robert Durran 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

I find pyjama shorts ideal (very cheap, very light, superb freedom of movement) but I was cyberbullied into buying some "proper" shorts for indoor use because apparently the pyjamas scare children or some such nonsense.

Removed User 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

Prana Mojos are pretty good. They're only just on the edge of what's acceptable for (male) decency when wearing a harness, but otherwise tick the boxes. They used to do a below-the-knee version, but I think they stopped those a couple of years ago. A shame, because they also had a bit of stretch in them.

ThirdRock might do something along similar lines.

jalien 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

I've got the Decathlon 3/4s - they fit a little on the snug side, but are comfy for climbing (and hard-wearing). Colour fades a lot in the wash, mind you.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/cliff-mens-3-4-length-climbing-trousers-id_8331...

HeMa 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

spandex & siccors... quick drying, great mobility and as short/long as you wish...

OP GarethSL 15 May 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

True, my go to has been a pair of 10 quid addidas football shorts which have been good, but lack any articulation and are rather short.

Alex Riley 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

I bought some norrona shorts from the clearance part of their website, they are really nice and were fairly reasonably priced.

Jon Greengrass 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

avoid 100% cotton unless you want to look like you've wet yourself when you take you harness off to reveal sweat patches under the leg loops.

Post edited at 10:31
OP GarethSL 15 May 2018
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

That's the other issue I'm having, in that everything which has a longer/ more relaxed fit is made from cotton canvas.

FactorXXX 15 May 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I find pyjama shorts ideal (very cheap, very light, superb freedom of movement) but I was cyberbullied into buying some "proper" shorts for indoor use because apparently the pyjamas scare children or some such nonsense.

Sounds a bit of a cock and ball story to me...

Siward 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

> That's the other issue I'm having, in that everything which has a longer/ more relaxed fit is made from cotton canvas.

This is true. Why would anyone want to wear heavy cotton canvas shorts in shorts weather?

My fave shorts are a 10 year old Peter Storm pair that are cotton/nylon mix, very light, very hardwearing, but they don't seem to make them any more.

Toerag 15 May 2018
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> avoid 100% cotton unless you want to look like you've wet yourself when you take you harness off to reveal sweat patches under the leg loops.

..conversely, avoid anything other than cotton if you like to wipe the sweat off your hands on your shorts whilst climbing.

girlymonkey 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

These look to be the men's equivalent of a pair that I have. I found mine cheaper than this though!! lol Very comfy though and quick drying

https://www.bergzeit.co.uk/ortovox-men-039-s-pelmo-shorts-black-steel-l/?ut...

Martin Bennett 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

What size are you? I have a pair of the the old version of RAB Vertex shorts. Pale grey. 32" waist. 12" inseam. Let me know if of interest. In good condition - Stretchy and very comfortable but I haven't worn them much as though I'm 5 foot 10 my legs are relatively short and even a 12" leg is on me "neither one thing nor the other"

Post edited at 12:51
 mik82 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

Craghoppers Kiwi Pro long are relatively cheap and work well.

two_tapirs 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

Moon Climbing do plenty of good shorts that are fine to climb in

wbo 15 May 2018
In reply to Alex Riley: ditto - Norrona  29 on clearance 

John Kelly 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

prana - I have a pair, like tying your ankles together, terrible, don't know the model

HB1 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

Mountain Equipment Comici shorts are very light, come to just above the knee, and are extremely comfortable to wear - I got mine at Ellis B Outlet, therefore reduced. Otherwise quite expensive

RX-78 15 May 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

Got 2 lovely pairs of dare2b shorts, one bright orange and one blue. Made for cycling/hiking but great for climbing. Did i say i love them?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...