UKC

A very English scandal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 21 May 2018

Having recently read the book, I was highly impressed with the first episode last night.

Hugh Grant was excellent, and the rest of the cast very appropriate.

Looking forward to episode 2

Your thoughts?

Skyfall 21 May 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

Very good but I wonder if they're in danger of giving confused messages by apparently tackling several subjects at once.

Trangia 21 May 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

Missed it. What Channel was it on?

Post edited at 08:34
Rigid Raider 21 May 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

It was excellent; the comical flavour and jaunty music just emphasised the farce of the entire sorry episode. God forbid that our politicians are still as conniving and incompetent as they were in the sixites. Hugh Grant was pretty good as Thorpe though I think they ought to have grown his hair then shaved his pate and given him a proper comb-over; there were moments when he looked just like Thorpe but a proper JT haircut would have completed the illusion. Ben Whishaw is also the perfect feckless Norman Scott. I'm looking forward to the next episodes as the farce deepens.

The New NickB 21 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

BBC1 9pm

Trangia 21 May 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

Thank you

OP Big Ger 21 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Beeb one, it's on iplayer now (ep 1.)

OP Big Ger 21 May 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

For those interested, the book is well written and gives plenty of depth to the story, while being an amusing read,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Very-English-Scandal-Murder-Establishment-ebook/dp...

Tringa 21 May 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

I too thought it was excellent but then with those two as the main characters, it would be.  It seemed pretty accurate compared to what I have read about it. I don't know if the scene with Thorpe taking Scott's case and destroying the letters ever happened but there has always got to be a bit of artistic licence. Looking forward to the next episode.

Dave

OP Big Ger 21 May 2018
In reply to Tringa:

(Possible spolier.)

IIRC Thrope did do that, but Scott had more stashed with various friends.

Post edited at 09:45
OP Big Ger 21 May 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

In a similar vein, this is on my reading list, but I doubt they'll make an amusing mini series out of it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smile-Camera-Double-Cyril-Smith-ebook/dp/B00JNYIUY...

Hat Dude 21 May 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> God forbid that our politicians are still as conniving and incompetent as they were in the sixites.

You're avin a larff ain't you?

BTW I remember the joke going around at the time that they were going to make a film about it called "Scott of the Arse Antics"

Rigid Raider 21 May 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

It can only get better - episode 2 will be about the farcical attempt to kill Scott then episode 3 about the most prejudiced trial ever in British history when the establishment ganged up to protect Thorpe and discredit Scott.

In reply to Rigid Raider:

The most prejudiced trial in British history??? I really doubt that.

jcm

The New NickB 21 May 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

> In a similar vein, this is on my reading list, but I doubt they'll make an amusing mini series out of it.

I wondered who bought that?

OP Big Ger 21 May 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

I haven't yet.

But recent, (post 1970)  history, political and social, is becoming a fascinating reading area to me.

Removed User 21 May 2018
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Check this out-https://youtu.be/Kyos-M48B8U

Removed User 23 May 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

Does nobody remeber Rinka?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...