UKC

INTERVIEW: Reading Between the Lines - Nick Bullock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 21 May 2018
Nick Bullock, 4 kbWith ample space and time to think, it's no surprise that the most captivating climbing stories are ones that go beyond gear and grades - ideas and commentary on wider society permeate mountain literature. In this series of interviews, we talk to prominent climbing writers about their reading habits between - or even during - routes and expeditions.

Nick Bullock is succinctly summed up in his Twitter bio as a 'Mountaineer. Climber. Writer. Author. Prison PE Officer Escapee. NOT an adventurer.' Nick's writing skills are starting to attract similar recognition to that afforded to his bold first ascents in the mountains. We sent him some questions to find out how he approaches his writing, reading and thinking...

Read more
 Damo 22 May 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

Thanks UKC, a very good interview.

I don't know Nick and have never had anything to do with him, though I admired his climbing from afar. I didn't think much of some of his early writing though, and said so, which didn't go down well with his considerable fan-base. I guess that was just my opinion, and what would I know.

So when I read 'Threshold Shift' (the version in CLIMB, then in Alpinist) I made a point of saying in as many places I could that I thought it was one of the best pieces of climbing writing I had ever read. I guess that was just my opinion, and what would I know.

But I do wish more climbers were as honest as Nick has been. As he explains here, it's a release, and I think it would serve them, and all of us, better than the trite and disingenuous dreck we've been served up for years as 'climbing writing'.

Misha 22 May 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

Thanks, interesting and honest as always. Look forward to the book. I thought the prison flashbacks is what made Echoes a great book. Writing about climbing alone is fine for a bit but ultimately becomes a bit dull. 

planetmarshall 22 May 2018
In reply to Damo:

> But I do wish more climbers were as honest as Nick has been. As he explains here, it's a release, and I think it would serve them, and all of us, better than the trite and disingenuous dreck we've been served up for years as 'climbing writing'.

Well, to be honest most climbers just aren't very good at it. It's both a skill and an art, and it takes study and practice.

Michael Gordon 22 May 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

I think it's more surprising just how many good climbing/mountaineering writers there are / have been. Definitely more than most other adventure pursuits.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...