UKC

Any specific large gear needed for The File?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OwlBear 22 May 2018

The File (VS 4c)

I'm flying over from Singapore for a trip home in summer and have a few days climbing in the peak planned. I've got limited baggage space for my rack and want to know if i'll need any particularly large gear for climbing The File at Higgar Tor. I'll be bringing my usual light grit rack with cams up to a size 4 dragon, but don't want to waste weight carrying kilos of big cams for nothing. From looking at the climb on previous trips it seems to be mainly fist jam sized cams and a few nuts, but I remember the belay at the top took all manner of larger gear. 

Anyone done it recently?

Cheers,

Al

Si dH 22 May 2018
In reply to OwlBear:

Nothing bigger than a friend 3 at most

Rampikino 22 May 2018
In reply to OwlBear:

Don't overthink it - a few mid-sized friends and a normal set of nuts/gear should see you right.  If you hang around trying to place endless friends in the crack you will get knackered.  2 or 3 should do it before you reach the ledge.

And enjoy it!

alx 22 May 2018
In reply to OwlBear:

It’s significantly shorter than the photo’s in the guidebooks make out, 10m is generous.

Offwidth 22 May 2018
In reply to alx:

Its the longest feeling less than 10m route I've ever climbed   The File has been a definitive moment in many a VS leaders climbing career. Very special indeed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...