UKC

DIGITAL FEATURE: The Finest Crags in the UK & Ireland: Tremadog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 24 May 2018
Jordan Buys on Bananas at Tremadog, 4 kbOverlooking the village of Tremadog, the sun-blessed cliffs of Craig Pant Ifan and Bwlch y Moch offer over 300 routes ranging from difficult to E7 on some of Wales' best rock. When the routes in Llanberis pass are cloaked in a veil of mist, Tremadog's fine compact Dolerite is often basking in the sun.

Read more
 jon 24 May 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

Why are the small photos such poor quality - they look like hugely oversharpened images? The big ones are fine. Is it at my end? It'd also be nice to be able to click on them to see them bigger - again, is this something wrong at my end? 

Post edited at 15:24
 Toerag 24 May 2018

"Twin 50m ropes are required and a fairly standard rack of wires and cams. The routes often weave about, so lots of extendable quick drawers will help "

Twin ropes? Surely that should be half ropes? Quick drawers?

Max Hangs 24 May 2018
In reply to Toerag:

> Quick drawers?

Handy for stashing kit in

In reply to jon:

I think it must be your monitor Jon. They look fine to me here.

The digital feature images don't work in the same way as other images across the site. We start with them big so don't have a function to make them bigger.

Alan

John2 24 May 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

I tend to agree with Jon. Digital images should go through two stages of sharpening - first capture sharpening to make the original image as sharp as possible with respect to the sensor size, then output sharpening to adapt them to the medium on which they will be viewed.

Chris_Mellor 24 May 2018

I'm thinking that these features are getting a little broad in the beam as they cover too many crags in one go. The one on Ireland veered too far in that direction for my taste. And so does the Tremadoc one  I feel.

Also the pictures in the previous ones have been a good size on my Mac desktops and notebook computers. This time around some are small and the images with two adjoining photos don't work for me. Sorry to be a critical PITA.

jon 24 May 2018

I'm sorry Alan, I don't understand. The big full page images are as sharp as a pin. The small ones are really terrible. How can this be a problem with my monitor?

In reply to jon:

> I'm sorry Alan, I don't understand. The big full page images are as sharp as a pin. The small ones are really terrible. How can this be a problem with my monitor?

Don't understand what you mean here. All the photos look fine for me and they are all pretty big. 

Pages 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 16 all have slightly smaller than full-screen photos on them but I can't see anything wrong with them here.

Alan

jon 24 May 2018

OK I'll try to explain, though not being computer wise doesn't help. Bear with me. My laptop screen is 34cm x 19cm. The small images are 7.5cm x 11.5cm (in portrait) so far from 'slightly smaller than full-screen'. If I press F11 and lose all the stuff top and bottom of the screen the small photos suddenly appear 13cm x 15cm - still not that big. This change in size doesn't happen anywhere else on the site. The photos are still really poor though. 

jasonpm 24 May 2018

Strangely I think I see what Jon is saying, i'm looking at the digital feature on a 13" macbook pro and at normal screen size the small pictures do look a bit soft/low resolution but if you zoom  into them they pop and are pin sharp, could it be a screen resolution thing?

jon 24 May 2018
In reply to jasonpm:

Thanks! But a) they don't look soft to me, quite the opposite, they look oversharpened, and b) I can't zoom into them. My laptop isn't old but clearly it can't cope with this format. As I said, everything else on the site works fine for me.

Steve Wetton 25 May 2018

I didn’t find this a particularly interesting read, nor the photo very inspiring. Where’s the theme? Undiscovered Tremadog? Tremadog VSs? Timeless Tremadog? 

This is one of the most historically significant venues of the last 50 years - and it keeps on giving. 

jon 25 May 2018

> Don't understand what you mean here. All the photos look fine for me and they are all pretty big. 

> Pages 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 16 all have slightly smaller than full-screen photos on them but I can't see anything wrong with them here.

Right Alan, I usually use MS Edge. So I tried Chrome and the difference was striking. The photos are bigger. They don't have that oversharpened look but they do look a little soft as jason said above. Now I know you don't like Edge but it would it be fair to say you've created a feature that not all browsers can cope with?

dsh 25 May 2018
In reply to jon:

> Now I know you don't like Edge but it would it be fair to say you've created a feature that not all browsers can cope with?

Nobody uses edge. You can't develop features for every platform out there. If a client asked us to make our software compatible with their particular os we would definitely charge them.

I loved the feature, it brought back good memories of climbing above my normal abilities, smoothly and confidently. Everything clicked that day.

Post edited at 14:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...