UKC

Waterproof jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RX-78 29 May 2018

I was walking in the mountains last week and got hit by a prolonged and heavy rain and hail shower. Despite my jacket my inner layers got wet as did those of my companions and we all had different makes of jacket (rab, northface, Patagonia, berghaus). So, can you get a jacket that will keep you dry while hiking with a backpack  and how much can you expect to spend on it?

tingle 29 May 2018
In reply to RX-78:

No amount you spend on a jacket will stop condensation fully, some come with pit zips and 'breathable' fabrics which may help but as long as you are exerting yourself you're going to get damp unfortunately. 

MG 29 May 2018
In reply to RX-78:

No.  Which means spending loads is a waste.  I'd focus on getting one with a good, protective hood.

Timmd 29 May 2018
In reply to RX-78:

A decent hood, and pit zips, and a storm flap on the front are what I generally look for in a water rproof jacket, the storm flap is as much for redundancy as anything else in case the zip fails for some reason.

Kirill 29 May 2018
In reply to RX-78:

> I was walking in the mountains last week and got hit by a prolonged and heavy rain and hail shower. Despite my jacket my inner layers got wet as did those of my companions and we all had different makes of jacket (rab, northface, Patagonia, berghaus). So, can you get a jacket that will keep you dry while hiking with a backpack  and how much can you expect to spend on it?

In general, yes, you can get a jacket that will keep you dry, but it has to fit well (not too small), be well designed (mountain hood) and not too worn/uv-damaged/delaminated seams, etc. Price will depend on the label mainly and very little correlation with quality, in my experience.

MonkeyPuzzle 29 May 2018
In reply to MG:

> No.  Which means spending loads is a waste.  I'd focus on getting one with a good, protective hood.

Yep. And also on getting quick-drying mid / base layers. Much better bang for your buck IMO.

wbo 29 May 2018
In reply to RX-78:and the weather was? 

Rob Exile Ward 29 May 2018
In reply to RX-78:

I have been much mocked for this but … mixed fibres. My understanding is that you need good quality, synthetic high wicking base layers for decent waterproofs to work … I won't say I've stayed bone dry in truly grim conditions but dry enough to remain functioning.

OP RX-78 29 May 2018
In reply to wbo:

Sorry i don't understand the question? Do you mean temperature? It was cold enough, had gloves, hat, base layer, middle layer and coat on. Others were wearing even more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...