UKC

Majorca novice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 3rd rock Sally 30 May 2018

Hi all,

I'm going to Majorca in august and fancy having a climb while im out there. Any recommendations as to were to go first. Ive had a look in some guide books (will invest in one before i go) but having never climbed sport before i was just wondering best area to head to. Im also thinking of doing some deep water soloing while there so recommendations for best place for that to. I'll be staying in cala d'Or.

Thanking in advance

Sally x

Tom Blake 30 May 2018
In reply to Sally:

I've been to Cala Magraner for Sport and Santanyi for DWS and would recommend them both for a novice. Santanyi has a ladder to exit from!

Tom 

SGD 30 May 2018
In reply to Sally:

As well as the DWS at Santanyi there is also a very good crag with very easy access and a good range of grades. Only problem is it faces south so it will be baking!

Santanyi (Tijuana)

RockSteady 30 May 2018
In reply to Sally:

Just a general note to make sure if you do DWS you do it with other people. Agree with other posters about best places for starting out.

iknowfear 30 May 2018
In reply to RockSteady:

yep. Don't DW solo alone. and have your exit & alternate exit strategy ready...

Post edited at 16:05
 Sprucedgoose 30 May 2018
In reply to Sally:

Cala Magraner If you're on that side. . . . but only mad dogs would climb in the direct sun in August (and yes I have).

climberchristy 30 May 2018
In reply to Sally:

Hi

If you staying In Cala D'Or, then Cala Magraner is definitely the closest and best for a relative novice. It will be super hot but Cala Magraner is a beautiful spot and it is at the sea so you can climb then swim within seconds of taking your harness off. Enjoy it! It's a lovely spot and indeed Mallorca is a lovely island. 

Cheers

Christy

In reply to 3rd rock Sally:

Thank you everyone. X

Northern Star 31 May 2018
In reply to 3rd rock Sally:

We tried Cala Magraner but despite the fantastic location and the beach, didn't really gel with the climbing there.  Most of the good routes are mid to high end (6a and above) and the lower grade routes there were not amazing. 

We much preferred Sa Mola de Felantix, an inland crag up on the hillside behind the old bodega at the edge of Felantix.  Fantastic choice of good quality, well bolted routes between 4b and 6c.  The excellent Papallona, a three star 5c is one of the loveliest and most interesting sport routes I've climbed anywhere.  Also unlike Cala Magraner, the walk in is only 5 mins from the car and there are trees at the base of the crag so you will be out of the midday sun whilst belaying.  Once you've finished climbing you can explore the old abandoned bodega and it's huge hall of wine vats.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...