UKC

Looking for Dolomites via ferrata advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rdent 30 May 2018

Sorapiss Group

Hey folks, 

My first post here so hope I've put this in the right section...

Me and a few friends are off on our first trip to the Dolomites in a month. We've got a couple of years outdoor lead climbing experience (up to 6a-6b), and are looking to do the Sorapiss Circuit over a couple of days. What we're not clear on is whether we need trad gear to complete the circuit.

The UK climbing entry for the Sorapiss VFs mentions some exposed sections, but does not mention needing trad gear. My Rockfax guidebook has the VF symbol for it, but not the trad gear symbol. But then the Rockfax database (link below) has a trad symbol: "Trad climbing requiring hand-placed protection".

Can anyone confirm if the Sorapiss VF Circuit requires trad gear? 

Any comments on the suitability of this VF for some first-time via ferrataers will also be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Robin

Links
UK climbing:  Sorapiss Group
Rockfax: https://www.rockfax.com/databases/results_crag.html?id=1045 

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 30 May 2018
In reply to rdent:

Hi Rdent,

No you don’t need trad gear on the Sorapiss Circuit, just standard Via Ferrata equipment - harness, helmet and lanyards. It will be fine for a first VF for anyone with climbing experience, it’s not technically difficult just exposed in places. It does require good fitness though, especially if you plan to do it in a single day. 

I hope that helps. 

Have a a great trip. 

Post edited at 23:57
OP rdent 31 May 2018
In reply to James Rushforth:

Awesome, thank you James!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...