UKC

Advice needed on Eye sun protection for -7 eyes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jlury 02 Jun 2018

Hi All, I need advice on eye protection for my next Alps trip. I am very shortsighted (-7) and usually wear varifocals to allow both long distance and reading vision. Contact lenses are no longer an option. I think my choice is between prescription sunglasses (in which I might not be able to get curved face-hugging frames due to my strong prescription) or some kind of over the top type glasses (which are cheap but I don't think I can get in category 3 or 4 sun protection).

Has anybody else had a similar dilemma and can advise me on what will work and give me adequate protection in the sun on glaciers?

Many thanks in advance!

Paz 02 Jun 2018
In reply to jlury:

Can you really not get ski goggles in category 3 or 4 for the fashionable jet set skiing crowd?

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/advice-inspiration/guides-and-advice/buying-g...

Geras 02 Jun 2018
In reply to jlury:

Not quite as myopic as yourself, but need varifocals for day to day use. I have found that contacts for the shortsightedness, coupled with standard glassier goggles work fine for the majority of the time. I then also carry a robust pair of reading glasses for the short periods I need to consult the guide or map.

Fredt 02 Jun 2018
In reply to jlury:

35 years and 25 alps trips, I’ve always worn ski goggles over my prescription glasses.

OP jlury 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Geras:

Hi Geras, Just to make sure I understand you... you wear contacts and then use reading glasses so you can read the map? Just cheapo reading glasses from the chemist type of thing? (just checking this because I have never hear of it being done before, but it potentially sounds like a good idea. As you probably guessed, I just stopped using contact lenses because I couldn't read the map) Thanks in advance!

Marek 03 Jun 2018
In reply to jlury:

Have a look at 'Cocoons eyewear'. They're made in the US but some models are available here and I've had no trouble getting spare lenses (different colour, there's a big choice) direct from the US.

Post edited at 22:39
 Howard J 04 Jun 2018
In reply to jlury:

Sunglasses don't have to be wrap-around, ones designed for mountaineering often have either extra-wide sidepieces or detachable shields which block out light from the sides.  They just don't look as cool.

Geras 18 Jun 2018

Sorry for late reply, but yes thats exactly what I do, cheapos from Online or even the £shop. The later are a bit fragile, the folding ones that come in a small hard case are bets.

Mr Fuller 18 Jun 2018
In reply to jlury:

Why are contact lenses not an option? My eyesight is as bad as yours (-6 and -8) and I wear contacts with 'normal' cat 3 or 4 sunglasses.

I also have a pair of old prescription glasses that I got tinted to 75 percent (category 3) which I'll wear when I don't want to faff with contacts, but the contacts and normal sunglasses option is better for full days out.

AlisonS 18 Jun 2018
In reply to jlury:

My eyesight is far worse than yours; or at least it used to be. To get around the varifocals issue as I got older, I started wearing different strength lenses in each eye. For long distance in my dominant eye and for reading in my non-dominant eye.  I still kept a distance lens for my non-dom eye for driving at night.  That worked well for several years.  Last year I had lens replacement surgery, again with one eye geared for distance and the other for reading. It's been liberating. I keep a pair of glasses in the car now just to adjust the lesser eye for night driving. 

Jenny C 18 Jun 2018
In reply to jlury:

This is what my other half was recommended by his optician. You can pick up cheap magnifying glasses for a quid, so if you already have contacts it's cheap enough to give it a go.

Hooo 18 Jun 2018
In reply to jlury:

Have you tried multifocal contact lenses? They don't work for some people, but it's worth a go. I'm currently trialling some extended wear multifocals. I can see distance and read the map, and keep them in for days on end. They are amazing. I previously used monovision - one distance and one close up lens, but multifocals are much better.

OP jlury 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Hooo:

Thanks to all for the advice - much appreciated. I will probably go with prescription long distance sunglasses (maybe add some side pieces, and take the glasses off for reading the map). I will also try the option of contact lenses + cheapo reading glasses (I'm quite keen on this coz I like contacts except for not being able to read). Will also look at the "cocoons".

just to respond/explain about the other good suggestions: 1) varifocal contacts worked at first but then didnt work (or made me feel pukey!) as the difference between my long distance and reading prescriptions got worse; 2) contacts with different prescriptions in each eye worked at first but then didnt work as the difference between my long distance and reading prescriptions got worse.

Thanks again to all.

In reply to jlury:

Back when I did alpine stuff I was -10.25 in my good eye...

Prescription sunglasses in a non-varifocal lens will do fine. Get a frame that's good for holding the lens rather than the last word in style and a croakies or similar retainer strap and you're good to go.

T.

Hooo 22 Jun 2018
In reply to jlury:

That's got me worried. I get on fine with multifocals now, but it looks like things can go downhill. Oh well, just have to hold on until replacement lenses are available for my eyes. Can't be that long now...

W3 22 Jun 2018
In reply to jlury:

I'm a similar prescription to you and got varifocals from Optilabs. 

https://www.optilabs.com/

Very highly recommended

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...