UKC

Belay station etiquette

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam B 04 Jun 2018

Some kind soul has recently given Central Rib Route I (S 4a) in  Wintour's Leap that special alpine feel, by going to the bathroom on the belay ledge at the top of P2. The variations of this route are some of the nicest limestone climbs in the country (when they haven't been soiled), attracting six stars between the three of them.

The belay station was passed, and P2 & 3 were linked together.

It's worth mentioning that this lovely present was left for us less than 50m above the woods, right next to an abseil stake. There were other options. Please respect the rock.

(Let the puns commence.)

DerwentDiluted 04 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

> The belay station was passed, and P2 & 3 were linked together.

So to continue the motion you avoided number 2?

Chris Sansum 04 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

Pitch 2? That's the crack pitch, isn't it? Never noticed a bathroom up there. There was a chap smoking a big cigar up there the other day though...

Removed User 04 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

Bummer.

Passing a belay station sounds like a lot of effort.

Removed User 04 Jun 2018
In reply to Chris Sansum:

Smoking does tend to relax the old sphincter, especially when combined with a good strong coffee...

planetmarshall 04 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

> (Let the puns commence.)

I hope they never show their faeces around here.

cwarby 04 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

Anus horriblis.

tingle 04 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

If you regularly need to crap within 30 mins of getting the urge to then seek medical advice.

d_b 04 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

I had a similar experience finding a turd on one of the belay ledges on Amphitheatre Buttress (VD) once. 

The most positive thing I can say about the experience is that it made my footwork and rope management much neater than useful as I was keen to avoid getting shit over everything.

Robert Durran 04 Jun 2018
In reply to tingle:

> If you regularly need to crap within 30 mins of getting the urge to then seek medical advice.

Can you provide a proper medical reference?

Andy Long 04 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

"...going to the bathroom...". You're not American are you?

mik82 04 Jun 2018
In reply to tingle:

Some people have got to go when they've got to go! But yes, if it's a new thing worth getting it checked.

The thing I can't understand is the amount of turds left really close to the crag bases in Kalymnos. It's not like the island is deficient in toilets.

tingle 04 Jun 2018
In reply to tingle:

(This is a joke, i forgot my audience.)

Robert Durran 04 Jun 2018
In reply to mik82:

> Some people have got to go when they've got to go! 

> The thing I can't understand is the amount of turds left really close to the crag bases in Kalymnos. It's not like the island is deficient in toilets.

That is somewhat self contradictory. Though people obviously shouldn't leave turds lying around near the crags.

timjones 04 Jun 2018
In reply to mik82:

It's a "new thing" that I had to get used to recently, fortunately having had it checked with no sinister reasons discovered as yet it appears to resolving itself, it really isnlt hard to slip a wagbag in your pocket each time you venture an uncomfortable distace from the nearest bog.

Fredt 04 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

I recall I was at the foot of the Aiguille du Pouce, precariously balanced on the edge of the bergrshrund, kitting up along with lots of other parties there, all trying to be the first to kit up and get going.

Just as I was buckling my harness, I realised I had to go. I reckoned I had about 10 seconds warning. Dropped my harness, and my keks, and dumped into the bergschrund. There was no other option whatsoever.

At least it was now out of sight, but I'm sure, to many others, not out of mind.

DerwentDiluted 04 Jun 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Though people obviously shouldn't leave turds lying around near the crags.

They really should be buried. Or, in this context, interred.

overdrawnboy 04 Jun 2018
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

"Leave no turd unstoned"  (Dr Spooner)

Vigier 06 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

Was up at Loch Tollaidh crag a couple of weeks back and someone had left their calling card in the form of a turd at the start of the route,  “ Ewephoria” .

WTF!

Perhaps the perpetrator had misread the description of the crag as, “ Loch Tollie”?! ( Scottish joke!)

Post edited at 11:16
 MikeSP 06 Jun 2018
In reply to overdrawnboy:

If it's a popular spot then you should 'leave all stones un-turned'. It's not a nice discovery.

Hat Dude 06 Jun 2018
In reply to tingle:

> If you regularly need to crap within 30 mins of getting the urge to then seek medical advice.

More often a psychological problem than medical

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...