UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Dave MacLeod's 24/8 Challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 08 Jun 2018
Dave enjoying Lochaber in the springtime., 4 kbIn March, Dave MacLeod completed a long-held ambition to complete what he called his '24/8' challenge - climbing a Font 8A+ boulder, an E8 trad route, an 8a sport route, a VIII,8 winter route and 8 Munros within 24 hours. Fortunately conditions across the five disciplines aligned and Dave managed it in just 18.5 hours. A film documenting the big day by Kevin Woods has just been released.

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

That's absolutely Awesome!!

TobyA 08 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic. Fantastic. Fantastic. Superb achievement, great film. 

liquid 08 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Best film I've seen for a long long time, brilliant stuff

Ian Parnell 08 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Superb, well done Dave, well done Kevin 

What an advert for British climbing

mytornado84 08 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Not only are there few if any other places on earth you can do a challenge like this, there are very few climbers at that level across so many types of climbing. What a legend!

masa-alpin 08 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Marvellous achievement and stunning film!  Well done!

JLS 08 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

18 hours! I bet Tommy could do it in under 2.

luke glaister 08 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

What a man. What an achievement. Three 8s before 9 o'clock.  Unreal. Great vid.  

andyman666999 08 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Best film I have seen in a very long time. An absolute Icon in the world of Climbing. Good work 

Tom Last 08 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

So Dave basically pissed it then! Amazing stuff, great work. 

kolkrabe 08 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Inspiring stuff! A great achievement and great film too! 

Paz 08 Jun 2018

Great film! 

Awesome effort Dave.  You're now the world's front running extreme poly athlete to equal Johnny Utah's achievement of completing the Ozaki 8.

Post edited at 22:49
 PPP 08 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome video. As always, Dave makes it sound like it is not a big deal. Good effort! 

PPP 08 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome video. As always, Dave makes it sound like it is not a big deal. Good effort! 

In reply to UKC News:

Just wonderful. And so rooted in a deep love for the place, the whole landscape. Advertisements for climbing in all its varieties don't get better than this.

FactorXXX 09 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Probably the best climbing speed record in the world...

Outstandingly audacious achievement and magnificently well filmed to boot.
Hats off to everyone involved!

Robert Durran 09 Jun 2018
In reply to PPP:

> Awesome video. As always, Dave makes it sound like it is not a big deal.

I thought he did make it sound like a big deal to pull it off! Wonderful, beautifully shot film.

Post edited at 07:16
 JLS 09 Jun 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

Looked like the 8 munros where the crux of it.

Awesome day out. Beautifully documented. Hopefully this set of climbs and hills will become know as MacLeod's Round.

BelleVedere 09 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Good man!

simes303 09 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

There's no link to the video for me.

Spanish Jack 09 Jun 2018
In reply to simes303:

You gotta agree to advertisement cookies to view it. Alternatively go to Kevin woods YouTube.

Andy Say 09 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Wow!

Steve Perry 09 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

That's the dog's bollox!! Brilliant. 

Post edited at 15:56
 Phil Lyon 09 Jun 2018

I'm glad he looked knackered by the end, because as massive as that challenge is, he said himself that it relies on him finding most of it easy. If I'm to do a similar challenge I think it needs to be the 24/3 and that's probably not worth making a film about.

Well done Dave, top all rounder.

Dave Foster 09 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I stopped climbing 6 years ago but this film still gave me goosebumps. Incomprehensible achievement and staggeringly well made film. Congrats to all involved. I can’t think of anywhere I’d rather be than on The Ben watching one of those sunsets now.

simes303 10 Jun 2018
In reply to Spanish Jack:

Thank you.

Rich W Parker 10 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing. Well done Dave. Having a rest day, now inspired to get off my arse immediately.

kwoods 10 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Massive thank you, all who have taken the time to watch or comment. Making this has been ongoing in my spare time for nearly three months, and Mountain Equipment have been more than generous to support it.

I put this on Facebook a couple of days ago;

"

"I can't believe it!", as Dave's words on the summit at the end of the 24/8, might equally apply to making this film. Nearly three months in the pipeline, I've had a bloody blast making this thing.

Just filming the thing in the first place was a logistical mountain, with all the right cameras, mics and lights to be in the right place at the right time. Then to follow Dave carrying all that plus walking gear, winter gear, then food and water on top. Walking 40-odd kilometres on the most perfect winter day, witnessing some of the most impressive climbing I can remember, then over the Munros by night to get back to civilisation in the following dawn twilight.

Afterwards there were the days spent filming in Glen Nevis with the thaw and snow melt roaring off the hills. The interviews, weeks of editing, and laterally writing the music with help from good friends and family.

So 24 hours condensed into 15 minutes - I think this'll be up there with one of the most gratifying things I've done for a while.

"

galpinos 10 Jun 2018
In reply to kwoods:

You should be proud. A fabulous telling of an amazing story.

Arms Cliff 10 Jun 2018
In reply to kwoods:

Absolutely fantastic bit of film making. Dave’s effort is obviously outstanding, and I’m really glad somebody was there to capture it in such style and quality. 

In reply to UKC News:

18.5 hours?! Dave M obviously set the bar too low in the first place - not like him.

Seriously, can’t you just imagine him being back in a couple of years with all the 9s?!

jcm

ericinbristol 11 Jun 2018
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Minus the 9A boulder

In reply to ericinbristol:

Yeah, maybe V9. Bit of creative accountancy.

jcm

Max factor 11 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Now that's what I call content creation!

(With apologies to Zofia R.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...