UKC

Midge repellent for dogs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 11 Jun 2018

Is there anything safe that works? I had a quick Google, and there seems to be some, but do they work? Can I just use smidge on him?

Poor boy was getting really bothered by them at the weekend!

SouthernSteve 12 Jun 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

There are a number of collars designed for Leishmaniasis prevention.  These are likely to helpful e.g. Scalibor

ceri 12 Jun 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Whilst a permethrin based pet repellant is probably the best thing to recommend, I will admit to using nikwax brand deet free insect repellant and avon skin so soft on my short coated dog. 

Smidge sounds relatively safe as long as he doesn't drink the bottle:  http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PicaridinGen.html

deepsoup 12 Jun 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Can't speak to its efficacy, but since "Is it safe to use DEET with <thing>" is a common theme here let me just state for the record that I'm pretty sure it doesn't dissolve dogs.

krikoman 12 Jun 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Cats!

In reply to girlymonkey:

I don't think that midge repellent will keep dogs away I'm afraid.

Couldn't resist it.

TWS

jkarran 12 Jun 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

I just use whatever I'm using on mutley, usually some deet based nastiness, I try to keep it off or apply only sparingly to the bits he can lick but it's not entirely possible especially since he's bald underneath and that's where they get him. It tastes so bitter he mostly doesn't bother anyway. Hasn't killed him yet.

jk

SouthernSteve 12 Jun 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

> Can't speak to its efficacy, but since "Is it safe to use DEET with " is a common theme here let me just state for the record that I'm pretty sure it doesn't dissolve dogs.

I wouldn't use DEET in dogs as toxic effects have been reported. Picaridin seems to be safe from a quick evaluation, but there are no veterinary licensed products in the UK. Advantix, Scalibor and pyrethrin sprays from the pet shop should be ok for dog and will have a insecticidal and/or repellent effects. Avon skin-so-soft has been widely used in horses, but recent reports suggest that the formula might have changed and the midge repellency reduced.

deepsoup 14 Jun 2018
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> Avon skin-so-soft has been widely used in horses, but recent reports suggest that the formula might have changed and the midge repellency reduced.

Reports I have read say the change you mention is that they stopped adding DEET to it!

SouthernSteve 14 Jun 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

> Reports I have read say the change you mention is that they stopped adding DEET to it!

That would be funny if true!

Steve Perry 14 Jun 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Never known a dog be bothered by midges but mine is a collie so I guess has long(ish) hair. Can they actually bite it through all the hair?

deepsoup 14 Jun 2018
In reply to SouthernSteve:

I had a brief rummage about, but can't find the thing I read now.  (It's something I came across whilst looking for info during a DEET -vs- Smidge - vs - Avon SSS debate on here.)

Not sure now how authoritative it was (I vaguely remember thinking it seemed reasonably convincing at the time, but it could be that I just wanted to be convinced) - it claimed that Avon learned that SSS was being used by American soldiers as a midge repellent, added a fairly low percentage of DEET into one version of it to make it more effective and marketed it as a repellent.  Then subsequently took it out again when they changed the formulation a few years later.

While looking for that, I've noticed that they do produce a 'bug-guard' Skin So Soft in the USA with 10% Picaridin.  (Which would, I suppose, make it a bit like a sort of moisturising half-strength Smidge.)
https://www.avon.com/product/skin-so-soft-bug-guard-plus-picaridin-pump-spr...

Graham6664 14 Jun 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hi,

Like a lot of things the advertising video looks good but I don't know for sure these things are any good but if you can keep him within the protected space this might work:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/thermacell-mr300-repeller-p453151

Maybe someone else has experience of it and could advise on effectiveness. 

Graham.

Just seen this:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/burton_mccall_to_introduce_anti-midg...

Post edited at 20:38
 marsbar 14 Jun 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

As far as I can tell the Avon sss has citronella in which is good for repelling them.  

OP girlymonkey 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Steve Perry:

He's got relatively short hair, and it seemed to be his face in particular that bothered him. He was rubbing it and pawing at it a lot. He's not safe offlead in many places, so can't just keep running to evade them when we are setting up camp.

Post edited at 22:06
In reply to jkarran:

> I just use whatever I'm using on mutley, usually some deet based nastiness, I try to keep it off or apply only sparingly to the bits he can lick but it's not entirely possible especially since he's bald underneath and that's where they get him. It tastes so bitter he mostly doesn't bother anyway. Hasn't killed him yet.

I was certainly considering that approach! Was too scared of the vets bills of it did make him ill though!

In reply to Graham6664:

Sounds interesting. 

Thanks 

marsbar 14 Jun 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Can you light some citronella candles?  My dog knew not to go near flames but I don't know if that's normal.  

I wouldn't risk Deet on a dog because I've read too many scare stories. Ymmv 

Post edited at 22:20
 jkarran 15 Jun 2018
In reply to marsbar:

> Can you light some citronella candles?  My dog knew not to go near flames but I don't know if that's normal.  

Mine set himself on fire sniffing candles at a friend's party (he had some knitted neck warmer thing on). Some are dafter than others.

jk

deepsoup 15 Jun 2018
In reply to marsbar:

> I wouldn't risk Deet on a dog because I've read too many scare stories. Ymmv 

I think it might be a mistake to assume that citronella (or whatever) is much safer because it is <ahem> 'natural'. 

I haven't spent a lot of time looking into it, but what I've read suggests that DEET is dangerous if they ingest (a lot) of it.  Presumably by licking off whatever you put on.  Same is likely to be true for Citronella and other concentrated essential oils.

marsbar 15 Jun 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

I wasn't clear sorry.  I think candles (where the dog can't reach) is safer than anything on the dogs skin.  

I'm not assuming natural is safe as we'd all be dead if we ate the wrong plants. 

As I understand it deet is absorbed through the skin and can cause fits in dogs. 

Post edited at 17:04
 marsbar 15 Jun 2018
In reply to jkarran:

Oh dear.  

ceri 15 Jun 2018
In reply to Steve Perry:

My staffy cross has bugger all hair and comes up in great big obvious skin lumps  when attacked by midgies   

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...